Choice of stateroom on the Oosterdam

karen sharpe

Hi

I have no advice based on experience however we are on Noordam around the Med in Aug09 which is identical ship i understand , we selected VB6047 , this is our logic right or wrong , we wanted to be on starboard side of the ship based on the ships direction (better views of land !!) , we ruled our deck 8 as it was under the pool deck , we wanted to be at the pointy end near lifts and 6047 looked private as is the last cabin before the ship curves inwards , this could be complete garbage and would be interested in opinions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are few "bad" verandah cabins. About the only ones I would not recommend are 4001 thru 4042, which have the steel-wall railings. :)

What's your budget? Are you looking for a low-end verandah, or is money no object?

We loved 7101 on the grand Ms. O for our 2006 Alaskan sailing! Nice and roomy, big verandah, and the comfiest bed on the planet! Close to everything - just a couple of decks from the Lido and on the portside, which was great sailing into each port.

We were in 5130 on the Oosterdam on the May 31, 2008 sailing to Alaska, and it wasn't quite as nice. Seemed a bit smaller, a couple of "sagging" spots in the floor by the foot of the bed, further from everything - I don't know, just wasn't the same. Would recommend 7101 highly!

There are few "bad" verandah cabins. About the only ones I would not recommend are 4001 thru 4042, which have the steel-wall railings. :)

What's your budget? Are you looking for a low-end verandah, or is money no object?

We're okay with the money side of it. I understand there are 3 different types of veranda staterooms.

I was in 8086 on the Oosterdam. It was a fabulous location. Never heard any noise from above at all. SS and SY are the same mini suites, just on different decks and I believe the SY is more expensive. I can't wait to sail on the Westerdam. Its a Vista class ship as are the Noordam, Oosterdam and Zuiderdam.

You will love you HAL cruise no matter the cabin, I assure you.

I always recommend the SS and SY cabins on the Vista ships. Half again the size of the regular balcony rooms, but much less money than the full suites. We have sailed in an SA suite(upgraded) and had access to the Neptune etc., but don't know that it was really worth the extra price over the SS/SY. The regular VF-VA balcony rooms are to small in my opinion, especially for more than 2 people. Oh, and I would avoid the cabins right next to the midship glass elevators.

Karen

I understand there are 7 classes of standard verandah staterooms (VA thru VH ), all similar . the higher the deck (or better position) the more expensive , there are 6 types of larger verandah suites (SA etc etc) where same rules apply , you pay your money and take your choice

I booked an SY room on the Upper Veranda deck. Then we were upgraded to an SS room on the Navigation Deck, under the Lido deck. Does anyone know if this is really better???

I thought went they ask about the upgrades, it would be a bigger room. Not same room, different location. duh! This is my first time.

I'm with N PXG Guy. We were in 8083 (SS or SY, can't remember which) in May. People had warned of the noise above from the Lido, but we heard none. Verandah was very nice. No one above/below/beside could see us. I do think the corner ones (aft) may be larger? Ours had a table, dining-type chairs and two separate lounging chairs with foot stools (not chaise). Also there was the acrylic "see through" deck below the metal rail.

I just ran across Copper's post of the new Eurodam SS category from his very recent cruise. The configuration of the room, windows, sizes of bath fixtures, etc., verandah, closets are identical to our Oosterdam cabin in May. Now, mind you, the furniture, artwork, chair/sofa upholstery, pillows, etc. are all updated and different colors, but the basic room/verandah are identical to 8083 on the Oosterdam.

I booked an SY room on the Upper Veranda deck. Then we were upgraded to an SS room on the Navigation Deck, under the Lido deck. Does anyone know if this is really better???

I thought went they ask about the upgrades, it would be a bigger room. Not same room, different location. duh! This is my first time.

I prefer the SS to the SY just because they are higher up and closer to the Lido. We have never had any problems with noise from above, but for some people it has apparently been a problem. We like to bring our breakfast and lunch back to our cabin and eat out on the balcony (avoiding the Lido crowds) so Navigation deck has worked out great for us in the past.

We're booked on the Oosterdam this fall going along the Mexican Riviera. We have a VA stateroom, 7000 something. Do these cabins come equipped with a DVD player in them? Some of the pictures on the HA web site indicate that but there is a disclaimer about only being a renditions and may not be accurate for all cabin classes.

Thanks.

We're booked on the Oosterdam this fall going along the Mexican Riviera. We have a VA stateroom, 7000 something. Do these cabins come equipped with a DVD player in them? Some of the pictures on the HA web site indicate that but there is a disclaimer about only being a renditions and may not be accurate for all cabin classes.

Thanks.

Hi!:D

Happy to report that all Verandah cabins have DVD's in them as well as flat screen TV's. Enjoy!:D

We cruised in a VA Aft Cabin on the Zuiderdam April 2007 on the Navigation Deck and we LOVED it ... no noise from the Lido and the shade and chaise lounges were lovely. If we wanted sun the Lido was 1 deck up.

From the advise of my cruise critic family, when offered a upgrade from Cat.D to Cat VD. after my booking in May I jumped on cruise critic and ask about the VD cabins and with the information from cruise critic posters booked cabin 4164 on the Oosterdam for Europe cruise August 2009.

Can't wait and I keep searching for a member who has been in this cabin and photos that they have taken.

As jtl153 and localady said I look forward to the larger balcony.

Marcy

Archived