Question for the Girls

Terre

Thanks for starting this thread! I was going to have to do so closer to our cruise and now won't have to.

My question is a bit different. My hair dries quickly, but I use the dryer for "styling" (such as it is). To be effective and eliminate perm frizz, I use heat and then a cool setting to "set" it. Do these "salon quality" dryers have that feature?

Okay, now I have another question about the dryers...from what I'm reading there are two dryers, one in the bathroom and one in the vanity drawer.

Can both be used at the same time without blowing any fuses? This would help out greatly if DH and I could both get ready at the same time!

Okay, now I have another question about the dryers...from what I'm reading there are two dryers, one in the bathroom and one in the vanity drawer.

Can both be used at the same time without blowing any fuses? This would help out greatly if DH and I could both get ready at the same time!

Yes! :D :D

I sailed on the Amsterdam in June, have unruly hair and found the hairdryer to be brilliant. The mirror in the bathroom was great - a little too clear really ( soft focus is much kinder at my age).

I'm now planning my next cruise and am worried that I've been a little spoiled with my wonderful HAL experience - am looking at NCL PoA in Hawaii for the itinerary and wishing I was able to do HAL.

I've no doubt you'll have a great time. :)

Lisa

The last time we sailed (Rotterdam) there was a second hair dryer in the desk/vanity. Bring an extension cord and you'll have more flexibility using it. I always bring an extension cord for charging camera batteries, etc. This dryer is better than the one on the wall. If you can't find one in you cabin, ask you cabin stewart to locate one. I have very thick hair and start the drying outdoors using the dryer only to finish up or in an emergency, but it worked well.

The hairdryers on both Noordam & Eurodam are in a little bag in the cupboard at the desk/vanity in the cabin itself. These dryers worked just fine for my long, thick hair. I remember on our Veendam cruises that the hairdryer was one of the standard hotel-type wall-attached. Didn't work so well for my hair. So perhaps it's just on the Vistas & Sig-class ships that HAL is providing the better dryers?

CruiseLiz - I travel w/3 curling irons - different size barrels. The humidity makes my hair straighter & flatter than it really needs to be. :eek: I have a 3-outlet thingie to plug into the single outlet at the desk. It takes up so much less space than a power strip.

Now, those mirrors - ugh! Yes, that halo-lighted, magnifying on one side mirror at the desk is a nice idea. But....all the mirrors in the cabin are smoke-colored in the backing, instead of silvered. Everything is DARK! I'm usually putting on my face while John is in the shower so that the 2 of us can get ready at the same time. I intensely dislike those mirrors. And on E-dam's inaugural, the light on the halo mirror was moody. Some days it felt like working, others, not so much. :rolleyes:

I think I've always had two hair dryers too--one in the bathroom that is kind of weak (but okay for me since I have only 7 hairs) and the better one in the drawer by the vanity.

The last time we sailed (Rotterdam) there was a second hair dryer in the desk/vanity. Bring an extension cord and you'll have more flexibility using it. I always bring an extension cord for charging camera batteries, etc. This dryer is better than the one on the wall. If you can't find one in you cabin, ask you cabin stewart to locate one. I have very thick hair and start the drying outdoors using the dryer only to finish up or in an emergency, but it worked well.

We've always had two hair dryers in our outside cabins..One on the Bathroom wall & one in the cabinet of the dressing table (in a basg)...

Agree with the above poster, if you don't have one in the cabinet, ask the Steward to get you another one...

Have a good trip..Betty

CruiseLiz - I travel w/3 curling irons - different size barrels. The humidity makes my hair straighter & flatter than it really needs to be. :eek: I have a 3-outlet thingie to plug into the single outlet at the desk. It takes up so much less space than a power strip.

Wow. You know I forgot about the outlet bit. Since my mom is coming with me on the next cruise, I think I may need one of those 3 outlet thingies :)

Sunshine, I agree with you about the mirrors. To me they are a waste of space. If HAL was going to put in a make-up mirror why not put in a good one? Even in the suites the mirror is a bad one and on the dressing table it is in a very dark place already which makes it even harder to use.

Definitely there needs to be more light around the vanity. The hair dryer works fine for my short, fine hair. It sounds like you will need your own hair dryer from home.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I sailed on the Amsterdam in June, have unruly hair and found the hairdryer to be brilliant. The mirror in the bathroom was great - a little too clear really ( soft focus is much kinder at my age).

I'm now planning my next cruise and am worried that I've been a little spoiled with my wonderful HAL experience - am looking at NCL PoA in Hawaii for the itinerary and wishing I was able to do HAL.

I've no doubt you'll have a great time. :)

Lisa

If you happened to have booked a penthouse suite on POA you will have a makeup mirror. And I know what you mean about the age thing!

Archived