Question for the Girls

Terre

I noticed on HAL's site that all the cabins have a make-up mirror and a "salon quality" hairdryer. Are they any good? How well does the hairdryer work on thick hair and is the mirror pretty good?

This would be two things I wouldn't have to pack and would have a lot more room for something else.

I find the makeup mirror in the bathroom better than what I have at home. As for the hair dryer, I generally go up on deck and dry my hair in the wind.

I was actually thinking of the mirror on the desk in the cabin. Thought the one in the bathroom was just a normal one. Maybe it's because Ilm in the cheap seats.

Oh please do take your hairdryer from home. I have long thick hair that needs to be blowdried.

Here's what happened to me on the Zuiderdam...

I started drying my hair w/ the built in hairdryer, it works okay, not as high power as I would like, but okay. After a little bit of drying and my hair is about 40% dry, the hair dryer just stops working. I reported this to the concierge and guess what they tell me? The hair dryers time out after 15 minutes!!! I had to go back and forth to my sister's room every time I dried my hair for the rest of the cruise :eek:

Yes, bring your hairdryer if it takes you more than 10-15 minutes to dry your hair. Sally's Beauty Supply has a lovely ionic travel hairdryer if you have trouble fitting yours in your luggage.

I have extremely thick hair and the cabin dryer worked just fine for me. I did a little towel drying, air drying, and sometimes went out on my verandah to pre-dry my hair before using the hair dryer. It worked no better or worse than my dryer at home, that incidentally, also times out after a few minutes. That's a safety measure on most dryers. ;)

The round desk mirror was great!

Here is a picture of my hair so you know what I'm dealing with! It is long and thick and only looks good after a decent amount of work on my part.

Unfortunately towel drying adds a lot of frizz for me and a blow dryer is the ONLY WAY TO GO :D

1444113658_backofhead.JPG.7c9fbcdfbe4a121f7deddd33d323fce0.JPG

The mirror is awesome. You can see really well with it. Maybe too well:eek: :D . The dryer is ok, but my hair is short so not much of an issue. I would say it typical of a dryer that you would have at home.

Oh Gaud...we might be twins, separated at birth.:eek:

I shared a cabin with my daughters on Zuiderdam; we ALL have long, thick hair, and shared the same blowdryer! It was pretty impressive for one little blowdryer shared by 3 women with long, thick hair!!!

As far as the lighted/magnifying makeup mirror, let me just say IT ROCKS! Even if you're in your 50s:eek: , you can see exactly what you're doing when you're putting on your makeup:) (although you're seeing a LOT more lines on your face than you're used to seeing...:( )

1492896296_GirlsinNorthernLightslounge.jpg.1e99e90ce587d2bcb65264fac4b378ce.jpg

Oh please do take your hairdryer from home. I have long thick hair that needs to be blowdried.

Here's what happened to me on the Zuiderdam...

I started drying my hair w/ the built in hairdryer, it works okay, not as high power as I would like, but okay. After a little bit of drying and my hair is about 40% dry, the hair dryer just stops working. I reported this to the concierge and guess what they tell me? The hair dryers time out after 15 minutes!!! I had to go back and forth to my sister's room every time I dried my hair for the rest of the cruise :eek:

Yes, bring your hairdryer if it takes you more than 10-15 minutes to dry your hair. Sally's Beauty Supply has a lovely ionic travel hairdryer if you have trouble fitting yours in your luggage.

I had the same problem in a suite on Zuiderdam. I was never able to dry my hair from the hair dryer in the room. It shut down after about 7 minute. I wore my hair up almost everynight.

Finally I started to go the hairdresser so I could wear my hair down for one night. If you have med. to long hair and want to have "good" hair days, bring your own. ;) .. These are NOT salon quality..But the mirrors and the make-up area are fabulous.

Wendy:)

My hair looks a lot like yours and neither of the hairdryers on board worked well for me. I bring my own. It doesn't take up much space and the time saved makes it well worth while.

The make up mirror is very good for close work but I think it needs much stronger light around it.

I also would recommend bringing your own. The dryer in the bathroom of our Ryndam cabin was a wall unit with a long hose. Before my hair was half dry the dryer was too hot to hold on to. The dryer in the vanity on the Vista class ships worked okay, but my dryer is hotter and stronger. I have thick medium length wavy hair that I like to dry straight and spend a good 20 minutes on it, then I use the iron to smooth it a little more. People who would be satisfied with the hair dryers in hotels would also be satisified with HAL's. If you are picky, bring your own!

I was just on the Volendam and the hair dryer was in a neat bag in the bathroom cabinet-worked fine-my hair is long and very thick.

The bathroom mirror was good-well lite, but the mirror on the desk/dressing table was fabulous. Lighted and magnifying on one side. Wish I had such a set up here at home!

Mine airdries in a jiffy after just a little towel work - but I'd trade it for yours in a heartbeat - it's beautiful! Definitely worth the hassle of drying it. Enjoy!

Thank you very much. I'd never dream of cutting it short, but it is a lot of work - especially in the humidity of Florida.

Speaking of humidity, I HAVE to have my straightening iron on Caribbean sailings.

What do you think ladies...Should these come standard on Caribbean voyages??

*just a fun question, yes I know the reality would be a big cost for HAL and maybe a fire hazard, but it sure would be nice!

Archived