For those of you who do: Why do you use your Travel agent?

This is not a query to debate or promote one TA over another nor is it to bad mouth b&m versus online only. I am interested to hear from those of you who do use a personal travel agent.

What is it about him or her that you keep coming back? Why do you choose your particular TA versus someone else or even an online agency?

I look forward to your response.

Used a TA this time only because we had to; we were redeeming Amex reward points and you can only do that through an Amex agency. I took all the information to her (flight numbers, hotel name, cabin category for the ship) AND the prices that I expected each segment to be. It still took 1 1/2 hours for her to put it together. Geesh.:rolleyes: Personally, I don't know why anybody uses one. We are very "price conscious" and without doing my own research I'd never feel confident that what a TA was offering was the best I could do...

I know you'll get lots of replies about how important it is to have "somebody on your side" in case something goes wrong. I suppose that's valid although in all our years of travelling we've been fortunate enough not to have to find out. Also, I guess not everybody is able or interested in doing their own research and are happy to let a TA make the choices...

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. I also used one (just picked one at random) in 2005 when the cruise I wanted showed up as "N/A" on my favourite on-line booking site.

I have always used a ta...just used to it i guess.

I did change in 2005 to an online ta I got a referral from on another cruiseline website. She was great and offered great prices plus obc; which the local ta did not. I have booked all since then with her. Unfortunately, this year I am disappointed with lack of email response and help in info on new lines we are cruising (HA and Celebrity). I have had to send a couple of emails for follow up. (The ta sells cruises only). We are very low maintenance. We just ask for late seating, table for 2 and that's it. I pick the cabin, pay the money and that's it.

Not sure if cruiselines are paying their ta's enough to get that personal attention back.

We have one agent that we use at one of the major onlines for all of our cruises.

We do our own research and pretty much know exactly what we want when we call.

She solves any problems that arise, never failed us. Also let's us know if she comes across a cruise bargain or discount that becomes available.

Charlie

Our TA is a cruise specific company. That's all they do. We pretty much know which cruise we want to take when we contact our TA. She automatically applies any discounts we are entitled to (C&A, etc.) and when a military or senior citizen discount pops up, and we notify her, she willingly gets with RCCL and makes it happen.

Last year during the fuel surcharge debacle, and RCCL was refunding it, I called her to let her know. We had the refund the next day. Two other couples we had referred to her (and were on the same cruise) got the refund as well, without them notifying her.

We had a cruise booked a few years back in an OV on deck 4 (Rhapsody). A JS was released and she contacted us ASAP to inquire if we wanted it and the price was unreal. A JS on deck 9 for $850.00 for the cabin (both of us). Can't ask for more than that.

The only complaint I had against the agency (and it's not a complaint really) is that she talked us into a cruise on the Grand Princess out of Galveston, instead of Rhapsody which we had initially booked (deposit only). It was the same weekend and only one port change. Costa Maya instead of Key West. The cruise was great (my DW hates Key West), but we found out later that her suggesting this cruise was rather self-serving to her. She ended up with a free cruise on Princess for a high number of bookings. Again, no biggie as the cruise was great. I guess this happens a lot.

We have referred five other couples to this TA and all have been more than satisfied. One couple had booked a Carnival cruise with them and were in the cancellation penality period when a death occured in their family. She got them a full refund and for being so helpful, they rebooked a few months later and had a wonderful time.

The only time I ever booked directly with RCCL was an unsettling experience. It was our Alaska cruise a couple of years ago. I booked the air with them (way overpriced). The ititial booking went well, on the phone, I got a nice confirmation email and when I emailed back with some questions the response I got was to call such and such a number. Long hold time, then the rep couldn't answer my questions, put me on hold to the resolution center for a long time and never got it resolved. The return flight was a one stop in Denver and since the flight out of SEA-TAC was delayed we and 120 other passengers had to rebook and we missed our rebooked connection in Denver and had to stay overnight. We got back a day late. Plus to top it off the cruise itself just plain sucked. This was NOT RCCL's fault, though. The other folks on that cruise were just plain RUDE and inconsiderate. We have never experienced that on a Caribbean cruise.

OK that's my $00.02. I will continue to use this TA and refer others to her. Maybe someday I'll get a real deal for being so loyal.

We use one because we have been able to get an onboard credit or some other freebie that royal caribbean wont give/offer. We also use one to argue with RC when they do something that we asked not to be done, like moved us to another cabin when we had a don not move attached to our room. We would rather they stay on hold forever to get ahold of the right supervisor than us.

i use a TA that belongs to the same social organizations that I do. We live in different communities and only speak on the phone, but there is a common bond. I go on her group tours once a year and get to socialize with her there, found her to be direct and honest, important qualities in a TA.

not only that she puts up with all my crap....i have a tendacy to worry and micromanage LOL..patience..that is another great trait in a TA... i will take that over freebies in the room anyday:cool:

We found our TA by accident and he got DW DD and 5 nieces and nephews all hooked up on a cruise several years ago at a fantastic rate which helped a lot.

He helped us find a great deal on RCCL last year and since we have been hooked on RCCL. He gets us a good cabin and is there to take care of any issues that come up ahead of the cruise...so far nothing has come up during a cruise requiring his help...really can only think of one thing from on a cruise requiring corrections which was taken care of by Pursers staff quickly.

What we want out of him is someone to answer his phone when we call and get things done as we need them done and to be there as a resource if we have a problem while getting aboard...we are among his best customers, he knows my number by heart and I know Sunday when we are boarding in San Juan, if he sees my number he will answer quickly. If he was not there for us when we needed him, we would just go direct.

Since he sells tons of RCCL and Carnival for that matter, he has a good relationship with the district sales manager and as such if a problem arrises he can usually get it solved.

wow...some of you have some pretty decent ta's. One thing that got me this year was that I had booked a gty balcony and had mentioned to the ta if a js happens to go on sale, please let me know. Well micromanager price checker that I am found it online rccl. I called my ta and it was like no big deal. First she couldn't find it and then acted like it was the first time she knew I was interested in a js. There are other things that went wrong this year that I had to follow up on myself. I even wrote her a nice email stating that we had great service up to this year but (gave examples of complaints). She emailed me back and said they always respond quickly to emails:confused: .

I would love to try someone else but would like to get a referral. I know that is not allowed on this board.

I use a TA because RCCL in the US won´t accept any direct bookings from me.

I choose my TA because they gave me a good rate (this was before the policy change) and as they did a good job - actually they are online only and do nothing but booking the cruise for me - I keep using them and they keep rewarding me with good deals within the new policy. THough they don´t provide any personal service they respond to any requests in a timely manner and have been able to work out small kinks.

wow...some of you have some pretty decent ta's. One thing that got me this year was that I had booked a gty balcony and had mentioned to the ta if a js happens to go on sale, please let me know. Well micromanager price checker that I am found it online rccl. I called my ta and it was like no big deal. First she couldn't find it and then acted like it was the first time she knew I was interested in a js. There are other things that went wrong this year that I had to follow up on myself. I even wrote her a nice email stating that we had great service up to this year but (gave examples of complaints). She emailed me back and said they always respond quickly to emails:confused: .

I would love to try someone else but would like to get a referral. I know that is not allowed on this board.

Yup, those of us who have found a TA that works for us hang on to them:D

We found ours by accident. It was just by chance that she answered the call when we were looking for a cruise since her agency is really large and has a ton of agents.

Charlie

We have used our TA for 20 years, he is the most conciencious person when it comes to travel. We had family from England in Las vegas with us at 9/11

(we had all arrived the night before for a special vacation for them), needless to say things went crazy, no flights etc., We had a rent car booked for the week, so just enjoyed our trip until it came to getting home to Texas. The rent Co. would not let us take our rental on to Texas, and other co's were charging up to $450 drop charges to get home (if you could even get a rental). As we had been in contact with hime most of the week, he managed to get us not only a rental with no other charges, but a nice Lincoln to travel the two day drive home.:)

He always stays on top of our reservations, and when we are flying checks our flights out for any delays etc., and passes on advice or changes, and we hope he never changes his job. He arranges travel for clients all over the country and is a wonderful person.

He was a small private agency, so has had some tough times with the airlines etc., cutting their discounts. We don't get discounts other than what RCCL or other cruise lines give, but that's not what we look for, it's the fantastic service he gives, and yes we research our trips before we go to him, even down to the cabin #'s we would like.:)

I use my TA in case something wacky happens....basically all she does is collect the money......she helped us on a land trip years ago when our hotel was under construction and they didn't inform people....

So....we are low maintainence (i didn't spell that so well....not awake yet!), she gets commission for not much work and we are all happy!

We use a TA because she was a great help on our first cruise. She is now a friend. She helped us resolve the few travel problems we have encountered over the years. We know we can count on her as an advocate if/when problems occur.

I've used a online TA twice and have very disappointed with their overall lack of response. In my opinion they are just order takers and must do huge volumes to give their customers a low price. On my next cruise I will be doing my cruise and price research online, but will try to find a brick and mortar agency to do the actual booking. Online agencies are only good for very well experienced cruiser who know what they want and the will do the leg work on their own.

I can say that I have done both. I have a TA that I have used for years. She is just wonderful and her ofc is right down the road from where I live.

I am very busy and appreciate her "handling" everything for me. I tell her what I am looking for and she finds the best price/options for me and I just write her a check. She has traveled extensively herself and is very knowledgable and I trust her completely.

As far as price goes-I have checked the trip she has booked for me online and the prices are exactly the same. She doesn't charge anything for her services so I figure it's well worth it to use an expert.

I have also done it myself once. A Carnival Cruise. I booked the cruise, airfare, pre-cruise hotel, etc. It was alot of work and research done on my part for what little money I saved. I won't do that again.

I will always use my personal TA. When taking a vacation I want to just write the check and go and relax.....I don't want to have to do all the planning and worry about everything along the way...It's a vacation afterall.

Just my opinion. :)

My TA has been one of my closest friends for 40+ years. She got into the business after her kids grew up and left home. I only use her for cruises since I can plan and book land trips on my own. Of course, I could do the cruise booking on my own too, but I figure why let the cruise line keep the commission when she can have it? I usually know which cruise, ship, cabin, etc. that we want so all she does is book it for us. But if any problems crop up, I have her to work things out.

I booked a cruise recently and while the RCL site and one of the BIG online sites only showed certain cabins available, she was able to see more and got us one more midship.

She works for an agency that is part of a large consortium, and they often have group bookings and can offer better prices or perks.

She solves any problems that arise, never failed us. Also let's us know if she comes across a cruise bargain or discount that becomes available.

Ours doesn't SOLVE problems; he creates them. First and only time will we have a TA. We do all the work anyway.

This is not a query to debate or promote one TA over another nor is it to bad mouth b&m versus online only. I am interested to hear from those of you who do use a personal travel agent.

What is it about him or her that you keep coming back? Why do you choose your particular TA versus someone else or even an online agency?

I look forward to your response.

Used a TA for years, the 1st time he actually told me of another TA who could get me a better deal, companies used to give deals depending on amount of business they got for the cruise line.

I went with the TA he recommended however, because of his honesty with me he gained all my business for later cruises. Now however, my brother is a TA for a large company and he gets me great deals so I use him now.

Archived