How are tips distributed to HAL staff?

InvestiGator

Thank you, Chuck . This makes sense to me and the frame of reference varies person to person. I tend to dine out a lot. I tend to frequent the same places and know the people who serve me better than I do anyone on a cruise ship. That's different, not better or worse, than your perspective.

Some people prefer fixed seating and if inclined, frequent the same bars on a cruise ship and enjoy that the servers know their name and preference. Others, like to mix it up and do not necessarily want or have the same experiences.

Given the trend toward more alternatives to traditional dining on almost all cruise ships of size, this rapport thing is and will continue to evolve. I am struck by the opportunities to dine on the Eurodam, Open Seating at anytime or Fxed Seating, Tamarind, PG, Callenetto, The Lido, Slice and of course Room Service. ( Did I miss something?) It is possible that some passengers may never dine in the same place twice on the most common 7 day sails. And we also know that the waitstaff rotates into and out of dining venues.

The dining experience has and will continue to change and so will the way Auto Tips/Hotel Service charges are allocated.

When we keep the Auto Tip/Hotel Service charge is place, we each have the same opportunity to reward or not, any one, at anytime, as we deem appropriate.

If we're not in agreement, we're getting closer in a shared perspective. This is always helpful, IME, to establish an understanding between two people even when their opinions and choices disagree. So I thank you.

Not yet, we haven't entered into the closing arguments phase and I'm hoping to get a negotiated settlement. But don't dismiss the juror pool, never know when they'll come in handy. I assume the pool is adults only, so I don't have to worry about disruptive children and baby diapers. Can you confirm my assumption(s)?

Not yet, we haven't entered into the closing arguments phase and I'm hoping to get a negotiated settlement. But don't dismiss the juror pool, never know when they'll come in handy. I assume the pool is adults only, so I don't have to worry about disruptive children and baby diapers. Can you confirm my assumption(s)?

No Kids,and I have the jury sequestered in a nice little motel

Psycho%201960%20Alfred%20Hitchcock%20Bates%20Motel%20pic%205.jpg

No Kids,and I have the jury sequestered in a nice little motel

That's good to know, thanks. I knew I was skating on thin ice, but there's (historically) the role of the sidekick in comedy schtick, that's my story and I'm schticking to it. ;)

If we're not in agreement, we're getting closer in a shared perspective. This is always helpful, IME, to establish an understanding between two people even when their opinions and choices disagree. So I thank you.

Cool beans!:)

ac81_1.JPG

Perhaps the cruise lines could just pay them more and include that in the cost of the cruise!?

Perhaps.

I don't pretend to know the detailed market breakdown of the cruise industry.

HAL seems to be going for the upper end of the mass market. Since we have a thread going on about grading beef, let's call this the "sterling" offering. Not prime, but above generic "choice" and lesser grades.

So now, since choice is choice, how do you distinguish yourself? This is a question for the marketing mavens and only subject to my idle speculation.

When I attended the disembarkation talk given by the cruise director on the Volendam, this is how she said the $10 was divided: $3.00 for the room steward, $3.00 for the waitstaff, and $4.00 for all the behind the scenes staff.

When we went the Volendam the tip was

Room Steward $4.00

Waiter $4.00

Assistant Waiter $1.50

Maitre De $0.50

:cool::cool:

I have not yet sailed HAL, but I have an existing future booking. I was delighted to find a cruise line one distinct level above the mass market lines (I have sailed both the mass market lines and, on one occasion, a luxury line.) I think from reading the comments on this board that HAL has done very well in distinguishing itself from the mass market lines; my fear is that, if financial pressures mount in the months to come, they may get careless about preserving those distinguishing features. As of now, they are the only line I would consider for a cruise unless I am made "an offer I can't refuse" by a luxury line, which makes me desperately dependent on one cruise line, HAL. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have such a loyal group of repeat passengers; let's hope they always do.

I have not yet sailed HAL, but I have an existing future booking. I was delighted to find a cruise line one distinct level above the mass market lines (I have sailed both the mass market lines and, on one occasion, a luxury line.) I think from reading the comments on this board that HAL has done very well in distinguishing itself from the mass market lines; my fear is that, if financial pressures mount in the months to come, they may get careless about preserving those distinguishing features. As of now, they are the only line I would consider for a cruise unless I am made "an offer I can't refuse" by a luxury line, which makes me desperately dependent on one cruise line, HAL. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have such a loyal group of repeat passengers; let's hope they always do.

If your prognostications are correct, how is it that any line is exempt from the consequences?

The cruise industry is a competitive market. Each line attempts to distinguish itself in a segment of that market. If the market changes, so do the offerings. My hope is that, as HAL adapts itself to the changing market, that I will be able to recognize the HAL that I once knew a long long time ago and far far away. So far, I give them a B+. I realize tha tmy expectations have grown, and have not accounted for that in the grade.

I have not yet sailed HAL, but I have an existing future booking. I was delighted to find a cruise line one distinct level above the mass market lines (I have sailed both the mass market lines and, on one occasion, a luxury line.) I think from reading the comments on this board that HAL has done very well in distinguishing itself from the mass market lines;

I've been wondering what exactly is the definition of a "mass market" line? I see this quite often on these boards. All of the lines advertise to all people. None that I know of will exclude anyone who can afford the fare. Does "mass market" mean "cheap" so that anyone can afford a cruise ticket? What makes a cruise ship and it's services "mass market"? Meatloaf on the menu, belly flop competition, buckets of beer....?

My opinion on tips is that it is customary in the US and I'm not going to fret over how they are distributed. I'm not on a cruise to make life-long friends with the crew.

I've been wondering what exactly is the definition of a "mass market" line?
I don't think there is any exact definition, but I've always taken it to mean any of the large lines for which you see lots of TV and print ads.

I've been wondering what exactly is the definition of a "mass market" line? I see this quite often on these boards. All of the lines advertise to all people. None that I know of will exclude anyone who can afford the fare. Does "mass market" mean "cheap" so that anyone can afford a cruise ticket? What makes a cruise ship and it's services "mass market"? Meatloaf on the menu, belly flop competition, buckets of beer....?

This is one of the best definitions, from Wikipedia:

The mass market is the group of consumers who occupy the overwhelming mass of a bell curve for common household products, i.e. they could be tagged as being "average". Yet, this group consists of such a wide variety of people, their desires towards a certain product may be totally different from each other. Often competition to supply the mass market is fierce, but relatively easy to enter because of the large amount of consumer pool available.

Although similar sounding, the mass market is the most unwieldy to harness by mass marketing because of the sheer number of consumers and the myriad of needs. It is difficult to target each and every customer in the mass market, therefore, marketeers must divide the market into smaller groups with similar wants.

Given the difference in cabin accommodations and associated cost, the mass marketed cruise lines appeal to a huge audiance. The cost of a Deluxe Suite can be 3-5X more than a basic inside cabin. The cost of a Deluxe Suite on HAL approximates the entry level on a high end small ship. ( Varies by sailing and subject to specific promotions).

The high end/small ship cruise lines are targeted to an audiance who will pay a substantial premium for a better overall onboard experience. "Better" is a highly subjective term.

So, based on that general definition of "mass market", it sounds to me that "cruise" vacations actually appeal to only a small segment of the available vacation "mass market".

Based on the actual number of people cruising, and since a high majority of us are repeaters, we are actually a small segment of the vacation market. Or perhaps the fact that some cruise lines have a large number of ships therefore they attract the "bell" or majority of the available cruisers pool they are the "mass" market? IMO that doesn't automatically make the cruise line inferior because of that fact.

I guess what bothers me is the term "mass market" is often used as a derogatory term.

My definition of "mass market" with respect to cruise lines is one that competes entirely or almost entirely on the basis of price. It is one that assumes that prospective passengers are interested only in the price and perhaps the itinerary. It makes no real effort to distinguish itself on the basis of service, cuisine, etc. My impression from following this board several times a day for months is that HAL is not a "mass market" cruise line as so defined. When I heard a rumour that HSAL was going to start calling autotipping a "hotel service charge," I had an awful feeling that things were going to change and my hope for an alternative between the mass market and the luxury lines was going to disappear when I need it most. I have all of my fingers crossed, which means I have to hold my razor with my toes in order to shave.

My definition of "mass market" with respect to cruise lines is one that competes entirely or almost entirely on the basis of price. It is one that assumes that prospective passengers are interested only in the price and perhaps the itinerary. It makes no real effort to distinguish itself on the basis of service, cuisine, etc. My impression from following this board several times a day for months is that HAL is not a "mass market" cruise line as so defined.

That's an excellent explanation of the term "mass market".

Even though you might not consider that HAL is "mass market" under that term right now, it appears HAL is heading in that direction. Every cruise HAL appears to be more and more like all the others in the same general grouping.

When we went the Volendam the tip was

Room Steward $4.00

Waiter $4.00

Assistant Waiter $1.50

Maitre De $0.50

:cool::cool:

That's a breakdown I've never heard before. Most CD's say

Room steward $3.50

Waiter and assistant $3.50

behind the scenes pool $3.00

After that, the next most common breakdown stated is $3/$3/$4. I have never heard anyone (before you) say that Maitre d' gets anything from the auto Hotel Service Charge.

That's a breakdown I've never heard before. Most CD's say

Room steward $3.50

Waiter and assistant $3.50

behind the scenes pool $3.00

After that, the next most common breakdown stated is $3/$3/$4. I have never heard anyone (before you) say that Maitre d' gets anything from the auto Hotel Service Charge.

I'm with you; I've never heard the Maitre 'd/Dining Room Mngr being included in the $10 pp. He's supposed to be one of those guys you hand "something extra" to at the last supper if you have enjoyed the "total experience" in the dining room

I guess what bothers me is the term "mass market" is often used as a derogatory term.

Yes, that seems to be the case, sometimes.

I am a cheerleader of mass marketed cruising because it offers a good value for my vacation $$.

I cannot afford a true luxury cruise line and I am not sure I would enjoy all of the differences.

Archived