QM2 Connecting Cabins -Noisy?

LongTimeTvlr

Just saw this question posted on the Celebrity Forum and brought to mind that I have booked a B3 cabin on QM2 with connecting door to another B3 cabin, which will have strangers in it.

How does this arrangement work relative to noises and smoke coming from the other room?

Should we be concerned?

Just saw this question posted on the Celebrity Forum and brought to mind that I have booked a B3 cabin on QM2 with connecting door to another B3 cabin, which will have strangers in it.

How does this arrangement work relative to noises and smoke coming from the other room?

Should we be concerned?

Dont worry at all, we have a connecting door before and you hear nothing, see nothing, smell nothing, the door is like a wall, you wont know anyone is there.

the soundproofing is great all over, in fact you wont hear anything from anywhere LOL.

just relax, dont worry, enjoy your cruise

rob

Hi

We had a connecting cabin 6.190 on the Sydney to Southampton leg of QM2 world Cruise.

We had quite a bit of noise from the adjoining door practically at night but fixed it with some canvas repair tape we had to strap our suit cases with.

Just taped right around the door & frame.

I worked no noise at all.

Terry & Deborah Morris

Australia

Before our QM2 cruise I read that cabins with connecting doors can be noisy, depending on who might be next door. Our cabin was a B3 also and I made sure, after I read that, to book a cabin without one. If you are concerned perhaps you can call Cunard or your TA and change cabins to one without a connecting door.

Have a wonderful cruise, either way!

I think it must depend on who your neighbours are as to whether you can hear them or not...

We had a cabin with a connecting door on our last QM2 cruise and could clearly hear the conversation of the people next door. It caused us to speak very quietly when our neighbours were in their cabin at the same time as us. However, our neighbours didn't seem to bother too much about what they said or how loud they said it - much to our amusement on several occaisions!

We have been on the Queen Mary 2 four times since 2004. We were on Four Deck with a sheltered balcony for the first three cruises and on Five Deck in a sheltered balcony for our most recent cruise in November 2007.

Just in case there would be some concern of sound from an adjoining cabin with a door, we never select one, but have never been disturbed by any sound from above us or next to us on either side from fellow passengers.

On our third cruise on the QM2, our cabin on Four Deck was above the Chart Room Lounge on Three Deck. We did hear the sound of the band below us booming through late evening when we wanted to get to sleep. I referred it to the Purser's Office the next morning. They did their best to apologize and to see what could be done with the sound system in the Chart Room. There was very little improvement due to the fact that the speakers for the band are in the ceiling of the Chart Room and below our floor. We did get invited to dine with the Captain in the Britannia Restaurant a few nights later, so I guess that was to make up for our tolerance.

That is why we selected a cabin with sheltered balcony on Five Deck for our last cruise.

Where you will hear your cabin neighbors will be on your sheltered balcony, especially from those who let their balcony door slam every time they go in and out.

As our good friend, Rob, has stated above, enjoy your cruise and you most likely will not have any problems. You will be so tired at night that you will not even be aware you are out and about on the hight seas.

Terrence and Loretta

Where you will hear your cabin neighbors will be on your sheltered balcony, especially from those who let their balcony door slam every time they go in and out.

Oh yes, very true. We had some very loud, crude neighbors on one side of us. They talked in a language that I had never heard before and seemed not to talk English at all. One afternoon my husband was out on our sheltered balcony and something went flying past his face. He looked to his right and saw our neighbor grinning at him. Then the gentleman (if you can call him that) spit again, just missing my husband's face.

Needless to say, my husband was not amused. After that one episode the gentleman quieted down, thank goodness.

Adjoining inside cabins with connecting doors allow every sound to also connect: luckily our neighbor was very quiet the two times we have had these cabins for crossings this summer, and as above we learned to keep rather quiet---and check next time that we do not have the connecting door: I am not sure tape would have helped, since whole wall seemed much thinner than on the adjoining non-connecting cabins.

Yes they do allow sounds through easily. We had one on the QM in May and the lady next door had the music channel on all the time. In answer to my complaint the steward brought a roll of masking tape and placed a rolled up towel on the threshold. It was obvious from the swiftness of his response and the practiced way he went about it that it was not the first time he had done this. It was totally ineffectual. The lady was not a particularly noisy person but you could hear every time she opened a drawer or cupboard, every cough and of course the music. I must emphasise that the music was not loud but it could be heard like pair of leaky headphones. Very irrating. Bought some earplugs in NYC but they are uncomfortable to sleep in. We would not accept a cabin with a connecting door again. If there had been a 'snorer' next door it would have been unbearable.

Gari.

I have never had a connecting cabin on Cunard. However what I find most annoying is the slamming of the balcony doors as mentioned earlier.

But I have trouble with slamming doors at home too.

Thanks for the feedback.

It appears that he key may be the occupants of the adjoining cabin.

I took pains to be sure we weren't above or below a public area, but didn't notice the adjoining room symbols until after I have booked the room.

Based on the list of cabins our TA sent us, the only openings, at least at that time were adjoining cabins.

My guess is that this is not a coincidence.

I think I will wait until after final payment and check availability again and change if there is a better option.

My wife is very sensitive to noise.

• 6 months later...
Hi

We had a connecting cabin 6.190 on the Sydney to Southampton leg of QM2 world Cruise.

We had quite a bit of noise from the adjoining door practically at night but fixed it with some canvas repair tape we had to strap our suit cases with.

Just taped right around the door & frame.

I worked no noise at all.

Terry & Deborah Morris

Australia

We have got cabin no. 6191 on QM2 for our trip in Sept09. Would you recommend taking some tape with us. I'm a bit concerned about noise etc. Never been on a cruise before and would not like to spoilt by other peoples noise

We have got cabin no. 6191 on QM2 for our trip in Sept09. Would you recommend taking some tape with us. I'm a bit concerned about noise etc. Never been on a cruise before and would not like to spoilt by other peoples noise

Check with your travel agent or with Cunard if you booked directly with them. If there is another cabin available in your assigned catagory without a connecting door, you should be able to change cabins.

Archived