Formal attire

ScottC4746

This is a touchy subject with cruises but we are going on our first HAL in 2010 on a 7 nighter. What percentage would you say actually wear tuxes? Also what percentage stay in them throughout the night, i.e. not dine then dash to change?

This is a touchy subject with cruises but we are going on our first HAL in 2010 on a 7 nighter. What percentage would you say actually wear tuxes? Also what percentage stay in them throughout the night, i.e. not dine then dash to change?

Totally depends on where you're going (itinerary) and time of year. Can you add that info, thereby opening the can of nightcrawlers a tad more?;)

Totally depends on where you're going (itinerary) and time of year. Can you add that info, thereby opening the can of nightcrawlers a tad more?;)

Well, my first cruise on HAL will be Canada/New England 7 nights probably late Sept early Oct.

My last two Hal cruises averaged about 40% in Tux's and the rest mostly in business suits. Schools will be in session during your Canadian/New England cruise hence a more adult crowd so their should be a good mix of both.

Whatever you choose have a wonderful cruise.

Just wondering what the importance of the percentage figure would be? Does one dress according to the majority, according to the suggested dress code or according to one's preference?

Like I said it was a touchy subject.

Well, my first cruise on HAL will be Canada/New England 7 nights probably late Sept early Oct.

Nice cruise and itinerary!! You will enjoy that!!

My guess (and that's really all I can give you) is about 45-50% tuxes versus 30-35% suits/sports jackets on that cruise and the remainder various other assorted items of clothing or lack thereof. A hot tip: tuxes are not required as formal wear; suits/jackets (with ties and without matching thongs) are perfectly fine. I have it on reliable info that "the ladies" like the look of "a guy in a tux" so, hey, I know what I would do

Really hard to put an arm (as opposed to a finger) on how many folks will "slip into something more comfortable" after dinner and before the show.

My advise: play it by ear and take a look at what the majority of folks will be doing - make up your own mind after that.

I have noticed over the years... fewer and fewer wear tuxes. I... for one, do not wear a tux. I wear a nice dark suit or sport coat and slacks... of course with a tie. But... I can understand that many enjoy dressing up for the gala event... especially the ladies.

On Pricness and Celebrity... I would say fewer than 30/40%. Our first HAL is coming up, but I wouldn't expect it to be much different

My advise: play it by ear and take a look at what the majority of folks will be doing - make up your own mind after that.

Good advice.

If you attend a show or visit a venue after dinner, there's a good chance that whatever mix you experience in the DR will be diluted to the more casual.

If you dress according to "formal" standards, you will not likely be out of place immediately after dinner anywhere.

If you are not comfortable in a tux, the standards allow a suit. In a suit, I find it easier to "dress down" without going through the quick change routine, in case you find yourself in a place where you're out of place (which I think is not likely). Enjoy.

Late Sept/Oct in Canada/New England will be on the cooler side, so the men may tend to be a little dressier, not having sat around in shorts/bathing suit all day. On my 3 HAL cruises, I would say about 30 - 40% of the men wore tuxes. Personally, I love the look of a man in a tux!

I enjoy formal nights since I don't have the opportunity to dress up very often, and for that reason, I stay in my formal wear throughout the evening. On the other hand, when I cruise with my sister and BIL, they always change back to casual clothes after dinner. My "guesstimate" would be that 40 - 50% of HAL cruisers change back to casual after dinner, although you will see more casual dressers since some people go to the Lido or order in room service on formal nights so that they don't have to dress up at all.

Bottom line is that you will be in the minority in a tux, but you won't feel out of place.

Besides, we're talking over two years from now... who knows what the dress code will be by then??

Bonnie

Nice cruise and itinerary!! You will enjoy that!!

My guess (and that's really all I can give you) is about 45-50% tuxes versus 30-35% suits/sports jackets on that cruise and the remainder various other assorted items of clothing or lack thereof. A hot tip: tuxes are not required as formal wear; suits/jackets (with ties and without matching thongs) are perfectly fine. I have it on reliable info that "the ladies" like the look of "a guy in a tux" so, hey, I know what I would do

Really hard to put an arm (as opposed to a finger) on how many folks will "slip into something more comfortable" after dinner and before the show.

I know tuxes are not required, but I am so formal I refuse to go to Beverly Hills in a t-shirt.

Just wondering what the importance of the percentage figure would be? Does one dress according to the majority, according to the suggested dress code or according to one's preference?

Maybe the OP wanted to see if he would feel out of place. Wonder why so many posters on this board feel they need to comment on if the question is valid or not:rolleyes: .

Maybe the OP wanted to see if he would feel out of place. Wonder why so many posters on this board feel they need to comment on if the question is valid or not:rolleyes: .

There are many questions which are considered non valid (e.g. have you quit beating your husband, leading questions which presume answers as exemplified by the post you responded to). There are also invalid questions, needing a walker or some other means of assistance in order to get along. :D

Wow!! You really plan ahead. Times keep changing so it is too hard to say what the dress may be then. All the HAL cruises I have been on have been a mix on formal nights. If you have a Tux of your own, and enjoy wearing it, take it with you and wear it. It might add a little special touch to your evening......and if you are embarking without the need of air travel, by all means bring it on a hanger in an individual garment cover. I found that more were in a Tux at the second seating and then stayed in it for the rest of the evening. At the early seating I'd say 25% or less wore a Tux. Passengers in very casual attire around the ship on formal nights was not common. I enjoy dressing for the formal nights and seeing everyone dressed so well.

There are many questions which are considered non valid (e.g. have you quit beating your husband, leading questions which presume answers as exemplified by the post you responded to). There are also invalid questions, needing a walker or some other means of assistance in order to get along. :D

Ok smartie pants.....good to see posters with a sense of humour...:D

You made me laugh..............

My partner and I have always worn tuxedos on our HAL sailings and have fit right in. There was always a good mix of tuxes and suits. On our sailings some changed afterward and some remained formal. Our last HAL sailing was just before Christmas, so for whatever reason most of the people stayed formal. We stayed formal for dinner and the show and stayed formal to stay in the piano bar for a few hours, but then changed to go dancing in the Northern Lights.

I always think it is so special to do the tuxes on formal night because we do not get many occasions to wear them at home anymore...and it always makes me feel good to stay that way for the evening.

I will say, however, that we have gone to renting the tuxes so they are waiting in the stateroom when we board...no worrying about having it pressed or anything like that and it doesn't take up any of that premium luggage space. We do take our own vests/ties/cummerbunds to add our own style to the basic black tuxes.

Hope this helps. Who knows, by the time that you sail formal nights might be a thing of the past (I for one certainly do not want this, however unfortunately it seems that many of the cruiselines are headed in this direction).

Sarcasim what not what I was asking for. Thank you though.

I am sorry it took me so long to contact everyone booked and those who are thinking of booking this intinerary, sometime in September -October.

This is what they told me:

A bunch of them plan on wearing tuxes.

Another bunch is going to do the suit or sport jacket thing.

A small bunch have no plans on dressing up, at all.

Two guys mentioned something about being hair challenged and wearing baseball caps.

One guy is wearing a kilt.

One guy is wearing a dress, if he can find shoes to match.

One guy started talking about a wife beater so I hung up, as I have no interest in domestic disputes.

Some of the tux wearers plan on wearing their tuxes all night long.

A few thought it possible they might sleep in their tuxes.

Others said they were changing, especially if everyone else does.

Only thing certain, is, that you are going to see some of everything. I sure do hope that wife beater guy is not on your cruise.

Archived