Excursions, What currency tips PG

ORV

I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't find it.

On excursions, porters, bus transfers etc I'm assuming tips are the order of the day although the PG has the no tipping policy.

What is normal amounts on the island for these services and what currency do you usually tip in? I'd assume the local currency but just trying to get all my i's dotted and t's crossed.

Thanks

ORV:

Perhaps the reason nobody seems to know is that the matter of tipping and paying for items in countries overseas is in a state of flux. When we have been in past years $USD worked just fine in French Polynesia. Now, I don't know, as the Euro (not the USD) is unfortunately becoming the "world currency".

Tipping is not really part of the culture in Tahiti - so if you are talking about non-ship staff, it's not typically expected except for extraordinary situations. I think I've tipped maybe one guide in Tahiti in five trips (and that was because she helped book a subsequent excursion with a different company). Since my first trip about 10 years ago, I have noticed that it's a little more common in some touristy places to see tip jars & the like, but it seems like it's because the Americans just keep pushing the issue instead of following the guidance we've been given :)

If you feel inclined, you can tip in dollars (they'll happily accept them), or you can pull some local currency out of the ATM at the airport (I usually do this for small non-credit card purchases while in Tahiti since it's easier for everyone to make change).

Hope this helps!

We used USD for everything and tipped porters just like we do at home. At restaurants we usually tipped approx. 10% since they already put a 2-3% service charge on the bill. Our experience was that everyone expected a tip in FP. We tipped according to the level of service. Just have lots of small bills because other wise you will always get your change back in pacific francs.

I went there thinking that we were not going to have to tip everywhere, and believe me with the prices there the last thing you need is to add more to your bill, but every check you were handed had a place to put a tip and there were "we accept tips" signs at every establishment. I think times are a changing in FP.

Archived