Live from the GRAND!

rebeccalouise

A little background. I was very disenchanted with Princess a couple years ago because of some customer service issues and had sworn off of them.

Well, time heals all wounds and because of the Grand's "British Isles" itinerary, I decided grudgingly to give them another try.

This is my fourth Princess cruise (Crown 96',and 98',Sapphire 05') and I am really happy so far.

I think the Grand is fantastic! We just got off Holland America's Zuiderdam prior to this and had a wonderful time on her but Grand Princess is so much nicer.

I am loving Grand Princess. The pools and hot tubs are wonderful. Movies under the stars is not obtrusive, as I had read on other posts. The food is better than any I have had on Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard or any of the main stream lines. Only Oceania is better in this regard.

Service has been top-notch.

They need to change the prices in the spa though. I have sailed many lines and there least expensive massage is $ 195 for 70! They don't offer any thing under 70 minutes. Weird. I don't think they are doing much business. In comparison, you could get a 60 minute massage on Holland America for about $ 119. In fact, Holland offered many services for under $50- pedicures, food massages, etc. So, this price is too high for this market. I really would like to get a massage and had a ten minute poolside massage yesterday for $20. then she did a heavy sales pitch for a tension relieving Elemis gel, which undoubtedly would have been over $50. Been there done that. I would pay up to $ 119 (grudgingly) but $ 195 for a 70 minute massage is out of the question. I could get three 60 minute massages at home for that price.

But spa prices don't make or break a cruise for me because these are options that one can refuse.

Drink prices are reasonable ($5 for house wine, 2.5 for sodas).

Entertainment has been really great. The juggler and illusionist in particular. Music has been good as well. No complaints.

As for cabin sizes. I'd have to give the edge to Holland America is this area. If you are trying to decide between Princess and Holland on this score- I'd tell you to go with Holland. They are larger, have more drawer space and bigger bathrooms. We loved our SS suite on Zuiderdam. However, all in all, I'd say I prefer Princess for overall customer satisfaction. Both are good though and I'd sail either line again.

Forgive me for not answering any questions until I get back. Internet is expensive but for some reason, Cruise Critic Boards are especially slow.

I return home on August 7th and will check back in then.

I just wanted to assure people that Grand Princess is really great and don't know why there were so many bad reviews on Cruise Critic. You can trust me because I am not a "cheer leader". In fact, I wasn't too optimistic about Princess but I am now!:) :)

NeurosurgeryNP..... we are not on the Grand cruise....:D but drove over to Liverpool to take some pics as you can get closer there than we could in Corfu in May..... but we are on the Ruby in November...:D :D

Rebeccalouise,

Thanks for the wonderful words about the Grand. We have sailed on her before and loved it. We have 61 days booked on her this upcoming winter. 33 days before the dry/wet dock in FLL, will wait for it, and reboard for another 28 days. :D :D

Rebeccalouise, I can't thank you enough for your wonderful, positive review of the Grand. My husband and I will be cruising on her on August 30 and we've been more than a little concerned because of the negative reviews we have read on CC. We were actually wondering if we should have booked on HAL instead. Thanks to you, we are completely excited and no longer have any reservations!

NY Cruisers

Archived