Flight to Miami Same day of cruise

cmalibu1

We fly in a day early when we can simply because we like to be more relaxed. However - to not take a cruise because there might be bad weather or the airlines might make enough of a change to delay your flight???? Have a little optimisim! Buy insurance!

The vast, vast majority of the time, you would arrive on time and easily get on the ship. There are lots of cruisers who don't participate in Cruise Critic and never hear the horror stories. They fly the same day whenever they cruise. While I like to be an informed cruiser, sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Work with the schedule you have, buy insurance and perhaps even book your air through the cruise line. Stop worrying and have a wonderful time.

I guess I never considered a problem being from the airline. (Where they actually cancel the flight, or change it)

Alright, thats a bummer, I guess we wont be cruising then :(

And there is no way of booking the flight where we can be assured we would be in by 1040?

I know you are cruising for your honeymoon and I agree with flying in a day before as others have posted. Could you possibly go in a day early at another time...you know, don't go on the honeymoon the day after the wedding but maybe whenever you can leave a day early?

Just a thought. You will LOVE cruising so I would hate it if you couldn't go. Maybe some date flexibility??

I know you are cruising for your honeymoon and I agree with flying in a day before as others have posted. Could you possibly go in a day early at another time...you know, don't go on the honeymoon the day after the wedding but maybe whenever you can leave a day early?

Just a thought. You will LOVE cruising so I would hate it if you couldn't go. Maybe some date flexibility??

Actually the time off I was given is the date flexibility. We are actually getting married in Oct. and the dates I was given is either take 'em or leave 'em. We have to decide today what we are going to do. Because the other vacation I was looking at the special offers where we could afford it all end today.

We have both cruised before and it was the time of our lives. So thats why we wanted to do this again versus a land vacation. But I am not sure that we could afford this cruise through the cruise lines. I found a travel agaent who would do all ourbooking and so I am not sure what the insurance would cover!

I am sad to say I dont know if we will risk it....?

Actually the time off I was given is the date flexibility. We are actually getting married in Oct. and the dates I was given is either take 'em or leave 'em. We have to decide today what we are going to do. Because the other vacation I was looking at the special offers where we could afford it all end today.

We have both cruised before and it was the time of our lives. So thats why we wanted to do this again versus a land vacation. But I am not sure that we could afford this cruise through the cruise lines. I found a travel agaent who would do all ourbooking and so I am not sure what the insurance would cover!

I am sad to say I dont know if we will risk it....?

Well, you have to do what you feel comfortable doing and I am sure you will have other opportunities to cruise if you choose not to. But as some of the other posters say - get insurance and go for it!

just flew to Vegas and back, was delayed six hours going and 4 hours returning.

I just had my son and family come for a visit from Michigan. Flying out, they almost missed their connection because of delayed departure on the first flight, but they did make it on time, or let's say close to on time.

Returning home, their first flight was delayed so long they would have missed their connection, so NW put them on Midwest flights. First flight, delayed, long layover on the second one, finally onto the last flight (one connection turned into two BTW). They finally arrived home about 6 hours late to find out ALL their luggage was lost. It took 36 hours before it was located.

And this was in the summer months, no bad weather en-route for the cities that the flights were coming from or going to, and absolutely no chance of a snow or ice storm.

This is also pretty typical anymore of almost any flights. Anyone that has booked airfare and had their flights arrive on time, no delays, no trying to get on another flight to make a connection, and all of their luggage arrived with them........I hope you bought a lottery ticket, as you are very very lucky. ;)

The time off that I got from work is the 10th - 20th. I have been planning on this cruise for about 8 months now, but havent booked it due to timing and not being sure of my work schedule. Those days are set. Can't move them, can only move with in them. Problem w/ finding another cruise is that the 10th-20th is Monday to Thursday I believe. We have been on other cruises and loved the ports of this one. Places we havent been, and probably cant afford to go back to for a LOONG while.

So dates are set. If anyone knows of another cruise w/in those dates by all means PLEASE tell me..lol.

Also about fort lauderdale. There are definitely flights, but there are no red eye from the night before and if there are, since its a not a non stop from minneapolis we would leave a different city the same day of the cruise, so I dont really see how that is a better option. Especially when trying to make the cruise the same day AND dealing with lay overs.

I am so dissapointed, we really really wanted to do this cruise. I was hoping to make it work, but I guess not. Now, I am just glad I didnt book anything!

Alright well Sandals here we come....:eek:

I would do it. It's either a cruise or no cruise at this point. Your chances of making it are great as long as their is no snowstorm. If there was a plane mechanical you could be routed through another city and still make the trip if you catch an early flight. Buy trip insurance. Which begs the question if they will pay for you to catch the cruise in the first port via plane? With a flight leaving at 6:00 am non stop to Miami arriving at 10:40 you will have plenty of time to get to Fort Lauderdale. Door to Door it is a 35 minute drive from the Airport in Miami to the Port in Fort Lauderdale with no traffic.

I know it is not a popular opinion but I am a gambler. I arrived in Europe the same day my ship left Barcelona with a connection in Geneva. How is that for Gambling?

Tom

And this was in the summer months, no bad weather en-route for the cities that the flights were coming from or going to, and absolutely no chance of a snow or ice storm.

;)

As a side note I find summer months harder to fly with more delays due to thunderstorms. So they were lucky it could have been worse.

I

I know it is not a popular opinion but I am a gambler. I arrived in Europe the same day my ship left Barcelona with a connection in Geneva. How is that for Gambling?

Tom

Tom, we did the same thing last November, flew to Rome with several connections on the same day as the ship sailed. Trust me when I tell you that this is not something we would even attempt now. From what has been happening the last 6 months with the airlines, it has gotten much worse.

On our return (thankfully it was the return and not the arrival), we had a two hour layover in Frankfurt. Our flight left Rome so late, it was a dead run to the connection in Germany. We were in first class and were able to board late, just as they were closing the doors to the first class section. :( Otherwise, we would not have made the flight, and this was before things got really bad with the airlines also.

I am not trying to tell the OP not to take the cruise, but the insurance is definitely a must here. The airlines and flights are getting worse and worse each passing day. :(

It definitely is a tough question.

For the cruise the flight we would take is the 6:00am -1140am from msp - miami.

I guess we have decided not to cruise, but the funny thing is, that is the same flight we are taking for our short 2 day stay in miami before we fly to St.Lucia. So if all goes off with out a hitch I will definitely be disappointed because then I know we could have made it..lol...

Well anyways, I appreciate all your help ..everyone. I thought I was a risk taker and to be honest if this was our honeymoon we probably would go for it. But I also happen to be a 'what if' kind of person...

So its always in the back of my mind...

I know I'm the exception, but I probably would go. I would investigate all of the possible flights/routes/airlines that might make this a possibility if the one I was on was cancelled, and I'd bring that list with me to the airport so I could be calling if something arose. Beforehand, I'd be looking at on-time performance, alternate airports, and how to catch up with the cruise at the first stop. I'd pre-arrange a car service for MIA to FLL. And, I'd pack (as I always do) 3-4 days clothing of various types in my carry-on in case my luggage wouldn't catch up to me.

I might also have a nice hotel in FLL on hold, and I'd pay for the trip interruption insurance on the day I purchase the cruise. I'm not THAT big of a gambler. ;)

What am I missing here? I went to orbitz and see a TON of flights leaving on the 9th of nov and returning the 20th. Only 1 is non stop, but at this point if a stop is the only thing stopping you, then you must really hate stops.

Select

$217 + $42 taxes & fees = $259 per person

shield_small.pngPrice Assurance

Choose this departure

Leave

Sun, Nov 9

Delta Air Lines 875

DL.gif Depart:6:00pmArrive:9:34pm Minneapolis, MN (MSP)

Atlanta, GA (ATL)

1 stop

• Economy
  • 2hr 34min
  • Boeing Douglas MD-88
  • View seats

No plane change. Time between flights: 0hr 56min

Delta Air Lines 875

DL.gif Depart:10:30pmArrive:12:11am Atlanta, GA (ATL)

Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)

• Economy
  • 1hr 41min
  • Boeing Douglas MD-88

Total duration: 5hr 11min

This is an overnight flight.

Choose this return

Return

Thu, Nov 20

Delta Air Lines 864

DL.gif Depart:12:50pmArrive:2:49pm Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)

Atlanta, GA (ATL)

1 stop

Change planes. Time between flights: 0hr 51min

Delta Air Lines 1183

DL.gif Depart:3:40pmArrive:5:20pm Atlanta, GA (ATL)

Minneapolis, MN (MSP)

• Economy
  • 2hr 40min
  • Boeing Douglas MD-88
  • View seats

Total duration: 5hr 30min

While something could go wrong or your flight could be rescheduled, I'd book the cruise and air, making sure that I have everything covered by insurance. Since this is something you really want to do, I'd take the chance and if it doesn't work out, consider it an adventure and use the insurance money for another trip. If you decided not to do it but then everything would have worked out, you'd be kicking yourself.

November isn't that far away so I'd take my chances on the flight. Yes, weather can "happen" but early November has less chance of closure due to snow. Just make sure you have the insurance and take the chance. You will most likely have a wonderful honeymoon.

Jalpert

You arent missing anything except the fact that I CANT fly out on the eve. of the 9th due to my work. Its just not an option. (Some have suggest me finding a new job but not going on a cruise due timing doesnt seem like a very realistic way to quit a job that I JUST got.)

So, thats the story, can't fly out the 9th, and debating if its worth the risk to fly out the day of!? And that may not even be a possibility b/c if I work the night shift that goes from 11pm-7am.

Pam - I know! I can just see myself now, when that plane lands on time thinking..well there goes our ship..lol!!

We were also going to do a sandals in st.lucia as our back up vacation. But that HAD to be booked today. Talked to my travel agent, she is holding the prices on those until monday when I start my new job so hopefully I can get this all figured out...

Thanks everyone!

Even when booking through a TA you can get Princess travel insurance.

Odds are great that your non-stop would make it in time for the cruise.

See that is what I was thinking..but from what I am hearing people are saying dont go for it. I bet its about 75% to 25% (25% being go for it...)

I really just want to have a wonderful honeymoon, so I guess I have some thinking to do...risk it...or just plan something else equally as amazing..

I know you said you had to work the night shift on Sunday the 9th, but couldn't you switch with someone? I know the schedules would have to be worked out to avoid someone having to work back to back shifts, but I would think if they really wanted to help you, they could move some things around.

I know you said you had to work the night shift on Sunday the 9th, but couldn't you switch with someone? I know the schedules would have to be worked out to avoid someone having to work back to back shifts, but I would think if they really wanted to help you, they could move some things around.

Well that could be a possibility but I just wont know for a month or so.

The problem is, if we dont go on this cruise our only other option (that we narrowed down) was to do the sandals st.lucia. But their summer promotion for us ends on monday. So...if we say no to sandals (we cant afford it past monday..lol), but I cant switch shifts or make the cruise timing work...we are screwed. (as far as what we wanted to do..)

Its kind of a rock and a hard place. I think either way we will have an amazing time, but I personally was really hoping to make this cruise work!

I just thought to come on here and see what people say about risking it..and I am even more torn now than before..lol!!!

We are going on the Ruby in Nov. Flying in the same day. We have a 6:30 flight out of Newark to FLL. My daughter is a P.A. and can't get off the day before. We should land around 9:30, but we are still taking the ins. I am hoping no flights are canceled that morning. We have been to Sandals St Lucia, it is a beautiful property. You will love it. Have been to Sandals 14 times, and I still love it. We cruise with my grand daughter, Sandals is adults only, and Beaches is very expensive. Good luck.

Another thing to consider is what the itinerary is on your cruise----does it have a port you could get to if necessary on the 1st or 2nd day, or does it start with sea days?? You could always buy insurance and that would help you catch up with the ship. It's not ideal, I know, but it might make the risk more palatable if you knew you wouldn't miss too much of the cruise.

1) I've been to Sandals in St. Lucia...um....Grand maybe? I forget which one, and it was just November. I can tell you the name of EVERY ship I've been on ;). I promise, it's nice, but it's no cruise. St. Lucia is a gorgeous island. I do recommend the resort's Italian restaurant, though, it's amazing.

2.) Oh, I know, it's YOUR wedding and YOUR honeymoon - not that of any of the naysayers here. Book what you WANT. Buy INSURANCE (read the fine print). Worry not. If something happens - you have a great story.

I'd get insurance for the Sandals trip, too, actually.

Seriously, I went to Cartegena, Colombia, on my honeymoon. We HAD to have a cruise. It HAD to go through the Panama Canal (ask my husband, he was insistent on this and I wasn't having that discussion in the middle of a wedding). We didn't get abducted, killed, threatened, or robbed. We even stayed in town after the tour we were on went back to the ship and took this crazy taxi ride back (the driver was I don't know, 12??), it's really one of our most memorable travel stories which we still talk about today (14 years this month).

Don't listen to these people, it's not their wedding. Easy for them to tell YOU to not do something you want to do. I dare you to tell THEM to leave their flashlights and outlet strips at home ;).

Archived