Flight to Miami Same day of cruise

cmalibu1

Ok, so I now have specifics on the flight we would be taking, and want opinions if possible.

We could potentially do the Nov. 10-20th Emerald Princess cruise. But there is no way we can fly in the9th, not even in the evening.

I found a flight that goes from msp straigt to miami on the 10th, we would arrive at 1040am (permitting NOTHING happens).

Is this a smart idea? or should we just find another vacation?

Does the cruise line actually pick people up from Miami airport or should we find another company to transfer us, (if so which one?)

Also what do you think the earliest flight out we could take on the 20th knowing that miami is about an hour away? Is a 3:00 flight ok?

Thanks again...I really want to make this cruise work, especially since its for our honeymoon. That being said, I also dont want to risk anything.

Ok, so I now have specifics on the flight we would be taking, and want opinions if possible.

We could potentially do the Nov. 10-20th Emerald Princess cruise. But there is no way we can fly in the9th, not even in the evening.

I found a flight that goes from msp straigt to miami on the 10th, we would arrive at 1040am (permitting NOTHING happens).

Does the cruise line actually pick people up from Miami airport or should we find another company to transfer us, (if so which one?)

Also what do you think the earliest flight out we could take on the 20th knowing that miami is about an hour away? Is a 3:00 flight ok?

Thanks again...I really want to make this cruise work, especially since its for our honeymoon. That being said, I also dont want to risk anything.

We've flown into Miami from Maine on the day of, but no longer do that. We always come in a day early now. In this day and age of airline cutbacks, and schedule changes, there is no way of knowing what might happen.

After the flight horror stories that I have seen lately, I don't think I would even consider flying in the same day as the cruise. Even straight through flights are being cancelled or changed after passengers book them, and then there is not much you can do about it. Remember, because the flight looks good now and you book it, it doesn't mean that tomorrow, or next week, or next month, the airlines won't change those flights and put you on a another flight that will not arrive in time. I have seen many book non-connecting flights figuring there won't be a problem, and poof, the airlines switch it to one or two connections and they can't possibly arrive in time.

Anymore, it is close to impossible to fly to your destination on a tight schedule. Even layovers need to be extended with all the late arriving flights.

If you are really a gambler, then give it a try, but if not, I wouldn't even consider it anymore.

As for the return, 3:00 IS PLENTY OF TIME to get to Miami from Fort Lauderdale for the flight.

After the flight horror stories that I have seen lately, I don't think I would even consider flying in the same day as the cruise. Even straight through flights are being cancelled or changed after passengers book them, and then there is not much you can do about it. Remember, because the flight looks good now and you book it, it doesn't mean that tomorrow, or next week, or next month, the airlines won't change those flights and put you on a another flight that will not arrive in time. I have seen many book non-connecting flights figuring there won't be a problem, and poof, the airlines switch it to one or two connections and they can't possibly arrive in time.

Anymore, it is close to impossible to fly to your destination on a tight schedule. Even layovers need to be extended with all the late arriving flights.

If you are really a gambler, then give it a try, but if not, I wouldn't even consider it anymore.

As for the return, 3:00 IS PLENTY OF TIME to get to Miami from Fort Lauderdale for the flight.

I guess I never considered a problem being from the airline. (Where they actually cancel the flight, or change it)

Alright, thats a bummer, I guess we wont be cruising then :(

And there is no way of booking the flight where we can be assured we would be in by 1040?

If you get a snowstorm in Nov, you won't make your flight or ship. It's much safer to fly in a day early.

OH MY! I missed the home airport of the OP totally. From Minnesota?????? Goodness gracious, no way, I wouldn't even consider attempting to fly in the same day of the cruise in the winter. :eek: :eek:

I am sorry that it doesn't look promising for your "cruise honeymoon" - I agree that it is too 'iffy' these days to fly in the day of the sailing. Would it be possible to find another cruise, where you could fit the flights in on a better schedule? It might mean delaying your honeymoon for a little while, but might be worth it.

A cruise does make a perfect honeymoon.

I guess I never considered a problem being from the airline. (Where they actually cancel the flight, or change it)

Alright, thats a bummer, I guess we wont be cruising then :(

And there is no way of booking the flight where we can be assured we would be in by 1040?

You can of course book the flight, it seems you are taking the first flight out that probably leaves around 6 am. Nothing is guaranteed anymore with airlines. If you have a slight delay, I'd say there is not a problem, because in most cases you don't need to be on the ship until 4 pm or so.

However, like others said, what if there was a cancellation? They could decide that not enough people were booked on that flight and just cancel it and bump you to the next one.

If you can't fly in the day before, I'd consider cruising another time. You were planning on being gone from the 10th to the 20th. Isn't there a way you could find a cruise that leaves on Saturday the 15th, and fly in the night before?

Sounds okay to me as long as it is a non-stop. You are catching an early flight out...any delays create a domino effect so later flights are riskier. If it was me, I'd take that chance given you should be in early in the day. BTW, nothing going to FLL??

You can of course book the flight, it seems you are taking the first flight out that probably leaves around 6 am. Nothing is guaranteed anymore with airlines. If you have a slight delay, I'd say there is not a problem, because in most cases you don't need to be on the ship until 4 pm or so.

However, like others said, what if there was a cancellation? They could decide that not enough people were booked on that flight and just cancel it and bump you to the next one.

If you can't fly in the day before, I'd consider cruising another time. You were planning on being gone from the 10th to the 20th. Isn't there a way you could find a cruise that leaves on Saturday the 15th, and fly in the night before?

The time off that I got from work is the 10th - 20th. I have been planning on this cruise for about 8 months now, but havent booked it due to timing and not being sure of my work schedule. Those days are set. Can't move them, can only move with in them. Problem w/ finding another cruise is that the 10th-20th is Monday to Thursday I believe. We have been on other cruises and loved the ports of this one. Places we havent been, and probably cant afford to go back to for a LOONG while.

So dates are set. If anyone knows of another cruise w/in those dates by all means PLEASE tell me..lol.

Also about fort lauderdale. There are definitely flights, but there are no red eye from the night before and if there are, since its a not a non stop from minneapolis we would leave a different city the same day of the cruise, so I dont really see how that is a better option. Especially when trying to make the cruise the same day AND dealing with lay overs.

I am so dissapointed, we really really wanted to do this cruise. I was hoping to make it work, but I guess not. Now, I am just glad I didnt book anything!

Alright well Sandals here we come....:eek:

I just did a quick search on what's leaving out of Florida for your time frame.

Seabourn Pride leaves on November 11th from Ft. Lauderdale; 11 days; ultra expensive.

Carnival Miracle departs from Ft. Lauderdale on the 13th; 8 days

Norwegian Jewel departs from Miami on the 14th; 9 days

In no way should you ever consider flying from Minneapolis on the same day of the cruise.

Pia

P.S I just read your last post. There is also a 4 night Carnival cruise and a 5 night RCI cruise during your Nov. 10-20 spot. Not the same as the Emerald, but another alternative.

For cruises within the Nov 10 - 20th timeframe that would allow you to fly in a day in advance, look at:

Carnival Spirit 8 day Mexican Riviera out of San Diego on November 12th, returning on November 20th

Carnival Victory 7 day Southern Caribbean out of Barbados on November 12th returning on November 19th

For cruises within the Nov 10 - 20th timeframe that would allow you to fly in a day in advance, look at:

Carnival Spirit 8 day Mexican Riviera out of San Diego on November 12th, returning on November 20th

Carnival Victory 7 day Southern Caribbean out of Barbados on November 12th returning on November 19th

Thank you! I appreciate all your help!

I am so bummed to not be able to take this cruise, but we still want to cruise!

I am trying to find the Victory cruise that leaves the 12th? I can find it for 2009? Maybe that was the cruise?

Carnival Victory does depart November 12th, but it leaves from Barbados. It's RT Barbados and goes to: St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts, San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica. Extremely port intensive for honeymooners. :D

I will give you the same answer I gave when you asked this question on July 17th.

Flying in on the same day from MN can be done, but I would not take the chance of arriving at 12:41 or 1:00. Too much can go wrong.

Can you find a red eye out late the night before? :)

I guess I'm not understanding why you can't fly out the night before, but anyway, why don't you just take an extra day of vacation? I can't imagine a workplace that wouldn't allow you to take one extra day, even if it's without pay, especially considering that it's a honeymoon. And if they ARE that inflexible, maybe looking for a new job might be more of a priority than a cruise!

We have flown in early half of the time for our cruises. Most of the time we cruise in Nov/Dec. We fly from CA to the east coast (with layovers in airports like ORD) Never had a problem. BUT we ALWAYS book princess air, that way, if something happens Princess will get you to the ship.

The only time we have EVER had a problem was a time we were scheduled to fly in a day early. Hurricane Wilma decided to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale, and our hotel (booked through princess) had no power. Thanks to our TA and Princess, we didn't have to worry about making new arrangements. They booked us on a flight and we made it one boat in time!

Why not go for the dream honeymoon, but shell out a few more $$ and have Princess take care of your air. We have found that b/c of high airline prices, Princess is very comparable, plus you get the added bonus of having them deal with any problems.

Have a wonderful trip!

I guess I'm not understanding why you can't fly out the night before, but anyway, why don't you just take an extra day of vacation? I can't imagine a workplace that wouldn't allow you to take one extra day, even if it's without pay, especially considering that it's a honeymoon. And if they ARE that inflexible, maybe looking for a new job might be more of a priority than a cruise!

Since the OP is just a couple months out of nursing school (see her second ticker), I'm guessing even getting 10 days off was a pretty neat trick. Like Colo Cruiser, I also saw her previous thread and believe she mentioned she has to work the night shift on the 9th.

Cmalibu, congratulations on graduation and getting married. Just book the honeymoon that will cause you the least stress--after all it's being together that's important!

The oceans aren't going anywhere and the cruise lines probably aren't either. There'll be plenty of time for cruises when your job situation is more flexible.

Kathi

Since the OP is just a couple months out of nursing school (see her second ticker), I'm guessing even getting 10 days off was a pretty neat trick. Like Colo Cruiser, I also saw her previous thread and believe she mentioned she has to work the night shift on the 9th.

Cmalibu, congratulations on graduation and getting married. Just book the honeymoon that will cause you the least stress--after all it's being together that's important!

The oceans aren't going anywhere and the cruise lines probably aren't either. There'll be plenty of time for cruises when your job situation is more flexible.

Kathi

I agree. ;)

Kathi

Thanks guys! Actually that is the specific reason. On the 9th I will probably be scheduled for the 11pm -7am shift which would then lead into the morniing of the 10th. I just got my dream job, and they are trying to work with me on my days requested off, but I have to deal with the union and how they appropriately give time off based on requests and availability.

That is why I say I have had this trip planned for months but never booked anything, because I knew when I got a job some of that might change~! (Which it did..lol)

I did post this earlier, sorry for the repeat, its just this time I had specific times of flights, and whereas before it was just a vague question. I just thought that maybe people knowing we would be in before noon would think ''hey its fine, jsut go for it'' ... but apparently that was just me being naive.

Anyways, I thank all of you for your comments. I have already contacted my employer just to see if we would possibly be able to leave on the night of the 9th. I will see what they say. Hopefully it will be a go, otherwise it sounds like it may be too much of a risk!

Latitude20 & colo cruiser, thanks for the words. I guess I just have to remember thats what its about...being together. I am so busy making sure that this honeymoon is the most memorable and wonderful vacation. And we only have a few days to decide. The other vacation we were looking at was a sandals to st.lucia. And their promotions end tomorrow. So if we say no to that, and the cruise doesnt work, we are left at the starting point..

Thanks all, while I sincerely hope to cruise I really want to make this vacation so memorable that it might not be worth the headache..lol:confused:

Archived