How far is it between JFK and Newark ?

WELSH WIZARDS

Hi, can someone please let me know how far it is between Newark Airport and JFK Airport, how much the Taxi fare would be roughly, and about how long the journey will take. I just know you CC people will come up with the info., so thanks in advance. :)

Hi, can someone please let me know how far it is between Newark Airport and JFK Airport, how much the Taxi fare would be roughly, and about how long the journey will take. I just know you CC people will come up with the info., so thanks in advance. :)

Taxi will be AT LEAST $120.00 with tip and toll. NY taxis DO NOT have to take you into NJ anyplace EXCEPT EWR. So anytime you cross the state line and go OTHER than airport to airport, it becomes a negotiation with the driver whether they will even take you. NYC taxis cannot pick up passengers in NJ and with the cost of gas, you will most likely pay for a round trip, even though you are only going one way.

It is about 38 miles

And can easily take up to two hours, depending on traffic.

NOT recommended with luggage more than a carryon. You have to change buses to get to EWR. Dragging luggage through either Penn Station or the Port Authority bus station is only for the hardy.

I looked at your link. The taxi fare is out of date. It was recently raised to $93.00 PLUS tolls and tips.

The Airporter is a much cheaper option. Schedule and reservation link online.

http://www.goairporter.com/

Greetings -- Take the bus from EWR to Manhattan; they let you off one block from Penn Station at a hotel, on 34th St. one block from Penn Station. Next, enter Penn station, Eighth Ave. and 34th St. and take Long Island Railroad to Jamaica Station -- a major switching point. Get off the train there and then take the "train to the plane" to JFK -- it does a circuit of the airport stopping at all terminals. You should be able to find the LIRR and "train to the plane" on the internet. Bus to Manhattan is about 20 minutes. Add 5 minutes walk to Penn, and the LIRR train ride depending on schedules is about 20 minutes. "Train to plane" is probably 10 more minutes 'till the first terminal. Hope this clarifies things. Cost of bus to Manhattan, about 9 dollars, cost of LIRR about 5 dollars, cost of :"train t9o plane" about 5 dollars, using their swipe card which costrs the five dollars. Get to JFK early, the lines can be very bad.

Z U

Greetings -- Take the bus from EWR to Manhattan; they let you off one block from Penn Station at a hotel, on 34th St. one block from Penn Station. Next, enter Penn station, Eighth Ave. and 34th St. and take Long Island Railroad to Jamaica Station -- a major switching point. Get off the train there and then take the "train to the plane" to JFK -- it does a circuit of the airport stopping at all terminals. You should be able to find the LIRR and "train to the plane" on the internet. Bus to Manhattan is about 20 minutes. Add 5 minutes walk to Penn, and the LIRR train ride depending on schedules is about 20 minutes. "Train to plane" is probably 10 more minutes 'till the first terminal. Hope this clarifies things. Cost of bus to Manhattan, about 9 dollars, cost of LIRR about 5 dollars, cost of :"train t9o plane" about 5 dollars, using their swipe card which costrs the five dollars. Get to JFK early, the lines can be very bad.

Z U

Just curious-would you REALLY do this schlepping anything more than a carry on??? Could be a real hassle trying to maneuver a LARGE suitcase (50 pounds) plus a carry on and a "personal item".

Take the Airporter. I have never tried it, but sure seems like the easiest/cheapest (for the ease-all things considered) of the options

Thanks for the help. The reason I am flying into Newark is that I have already booked to fly home from Puerto Rico on my Dec. TA cruise from San Juan , as I WAS flying with Silverjet from Newark to the UK. . Since they no longer fly I am now going to try Openskies, which means I have to get to JFK. I will have a whole day and a half to get there. One idea would be to get a taxi to a hotel , say half way between both airports , so I would then only need a taxi next day for about half the distance. ? Would that be a better solution? Where is a good location roughly half way ?

Hello Greatam - YES! we do this with more than just a carryon. But we take the train from Wilmington, DE up to Penn Station, then change to the LIRR train to Airtrain/JFK. I take my wheelie bag with my foldover hanging dress bag clipped to it and my carryon bag looped over the top of them both. One bag weighs about 25 lbs. and one weighs about 30 lbs. We do this about 4 times a year. 4-6 times a year we do the same thing but to Newark.

We used to go up to Penn Station and take the Bus over from there but we did not have very good luck with it. Late buses, terrible equipment, have to change from one bus to another by Grand Central station before heading out to JFK. It is an especially messy trip during the winter or if it is rainy outside. We have found it easier just to take the trains.

...One idea would be to get a taxi to a hotel , say half way between both airports ...

Any interest in staying in Manhattan or do you just want to wait for your flight and stay by the airport? I typed in "carey bus manhattan" (one of the traditional methods) into Google and came up with a story from the NY Times with lots of different choices:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=950DEEDF1E38F931A25750C0A96F948260

Hello Greatam - YES! we do this with more than just a carryon. But we take the train from Wilmington, DE up to Penn Station, then change to the LIRR train to Airtrain/JFK. I take my wheelie bag with my foldover hanging dress bag clipped to it and my carryon bag looped over the top of them both. One bag weighs about 25 lbs. and one weighs about 30 lbs. We do this about 4 times a year. 4-6 times a year we do the same thing but to Newark.

We used to go up to Penn Station and take the Bus over from there but we did not have very good luck with it. Late buses, terrible equipment, have to change from one bus to another by Grand Central station before heading out to JFK. It is an especially messy trip during the winter or if it is rainy outside. We have found it easier just to take the trains.

Luggage you are describing is little more than a carry on-in fact, you only have one bag with everything else attached. I mean what MOST people take on a one week cruise-one LARGE 26-28" (50 pound suitcase), one regular 22" roller (carry on-up to 40 pounds allowed by most airlines) PLUS the laptop bag, large purse, camera bag, etc.

And on top of that, your route is NOT what zorrosuncle posted. His route involved getting off the bus, walking to Penn Station with all your luggage.

I travel frequently in the NY/NJ area by all modes of transportation. JMHO, but anything more than one bag on wheels is more than most would want to handle in NYC.

QUOTE...WELSH WIZARDS...One idea would be to get a taxi to a hotel , say half way between both airports , so I would then only need a taxi next day for about half the distance. ? Would that be a better solution? Where is a good location roughly half way ? We would be very tired so would just need to have a sleep, somewhere between Newark and JFK , at a location the taxi driver could take us, [ !] between the two airports. We do not know the area.

QUOTE...WELSH WIZARDS...One idea would be to get a taxi to a hotel , say half way between both airports , so I would then only need a taxi next day for about half the distance. ? Would that be a better solution? Where is a good location roughly half way ? We would be very tired so would just need to have a sleep, somewhere between Newark and JFK , at a location the taxi driver could take us, [ !] between the two airports. We do not know the area.

If you truly don't want to go into the Manhattan, I don't see the point of going half way. I would just pick a hotel by JFK and wait for my plane and rest up.

My guess on the half way point between the airports would be somewhere around Bensonhust / Coney Island / Brighton Beach. Some of our New York posters might have better ideas.

My idea about going maybe half way came from the information of a previous roll call contributor that taxis in the US cannot or will not take you from Newark to JFK. Coming from a country in which taxis will take you from the very top of Scotland to the tip or Cornwall , provided you can pay, I find this idea of taxi no go areas or distances strange . Do they go from Newark to JFK or not ? I am geting more and more confused.

I think we will take the Airporter as someone sugested, and then take a taxi to a hotel near JFK.

Hi Welsh Wizards,

I'll be flying home from EWR at the end of my cruise in September, and have just booked transportation with Airlink (www.airlinknyc.com). It's costing $18. I've used them for JFK as well, and not had any problems. You can also try www.supershuttle.com. Personally, I would always opt for an overnight in Manhattan, even if it's just to catch up on some sleep. (In the city that never sleeps?):rolleyes:

Thank you kindly for your reply. Your positive comment on Airlink is very helpful, would it be possible for you to explain this service and how it works, any info is gratefully received.

When you say stay in Manhattan, as opposed to near JFK what do you mean.? I am not even sure where Manhattan is..:o

We have only been to the airports in New York , except when to very kind CC friends, picked us up at Newark, took us home for the night, and took us all around New York and then to JFK. !! They were soOO kind , I am to embarrassed to even tell them I am coming again. :) .

Thanks for the help. The reason I am flying into Newark is that I have already booked to fly home from Puerto Rico on my Dec. TA cruise from San Juan , as I WAS flying with Silverjet from Newark to the UK. . Since they no longer fly I am now going to try Openskies, which means I have to get to JFK. I will have a whole day and a half to get there. One idea would be to get a taxi to a hotel , say half way between both airports , so I would then only need a taxi next day for about half the distance. ? Would that be a better solution? Where is a good location roughly half way ?

If you want to lay-over perhaps you might find an hotel w/ a shuttle service to the airports.

Having said that, do they even have hotel>airport shuttles around New York???

Manhattan Island is what most people call "New York". JFK is in Queens, on Long Island. You have to cross Manhattan to get to Queens from New Jersey.

Personally, I would always opt for an overnight in Manhattan, even if it's just to catch up on some sleep. (In the city that never sleeps?):rolleyes:

Exactly! This the OP can wander about a bit if they wish, have access to nice restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc and still have plenty of time to rest up before their flight.

:)

Thank you kindly for your reply. Your positive comment on Airlink is very helpful, would it be possible for you to explain this service and how it works, any info is gratefully received.

When you say stay in Manhattan, as opposed to near JFK what do you mean.? I am not even sure where Manhattan is..:o

We have only been to the airports in New York , except when to very kind CC friends, picked us up at Newark, took us home for the night, and took us all around New York and then to JFK. !! They were soOO kind , I am to embarrassed to even tell them I am coming again. :) .

As others have pointed out JFK is in Queens..However you do not have to cross Manhattan to get to JFK from EWR...I've driven it many times, while working at JFK & living on Long Island...

Take a look at this map..It will give you an idea where Manhattan is in relation to the two airports..

http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/nyc_area_hwy

To get from EWR to JFK it's better to by pass Manhattan alltoghether..

A knowledgeable Taxi driver should know this & agree with Greatam, the Taxi would cost about $100-$120, which includes Tip & Tolls on the Bridges & N.J. Turnpoke..However this route would get you there much faster than going through Manhattan which could take 2 hrs. or more depending on traffic....

The route the Taxi should take to JFK is:

South on 81 & 95 (N.J. Turnpike) to the Goethals Bridge, Cross Staten Island on the Expressway (278) , Take the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Queens & the Shore Pkwy through Brooklyn to the JFK Airport exit..

In my opinion you would be better off staying at one of the Hotels near or outside of JFK. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a hotel, as we stay with Family & no longer have knowledge of the hotels at JFK ..Perhaps another poster could give you that info..You would want to stay in an area which is safe, & some areas around JFK are not safe...

Re Airlink: I honestly don't think they have direct service from EWR to JFK..Don't find an $18 fare between EWR & JFK..According to their Web site Airlink services the three airpots from Manhattan..

It looks to like It's $19.00 from EWR to NYC (Manhattan) & then it would be another $20.00 from NYC (Manhattan) to JFK...In that case you would stay at a Manhattan Hotel..Suggest you double check with Airlink directly..

Good luck...Betty

Well, Serendipity, I've got egg custard on my face after my unresearched answer. I forgot about Staten Island...for those who live there, I apologize.

Now if anyone needs directions to the Manchester Airport I promise to get that right.

Sorrowful Steve

I will have a whole day and a half to get there. One idea would be to get a taxi to a hotel , say half way between both airports , so I would then only need a taxi next day for about half the distance. ? Would that be a better solution? Where is a good location roughly half way ?
Manhattan! I can't believe that you would think about missing out on an overnight stop in one of the greatest and best cities in the entire world when your travel arrangements make it absolutely ideal for doing that.

Manhattan! I can't believe that you would think about missing out on an overnight stop in one of the greatest and best cities in the entire world when your travel arrangements make it absolutely ideal for doing that.

Yes but,.... [splutter splutter].....by then will have flown from Cardiff to Malaga and driven to the Costa del Sol for a weeks holiday, then caught a plane from Malaga to Barcelona, to get on my cruise ship. After 7 ports and 15 days I later disembark in Puerto Rico I catch another plane and fly to Newark . Please..let me have a rest...:D :D :D before I fly from JFK to Amsterdam and from there to Cardiff.

Well, Serendipity, I've got egg custard on my face after my unresearched answer. I forgot about Staten Island...for those who live there, I apologize.

Now if anyone needs directions to the Manchester Airport I promise to get that right. Sorrowful Steve

LOL Steve...No need to apologize or have custard on the face...Everyone makes the same mistake...Lots of people forget about Staten Island & especially don't like the ride past the dump...ewww.:eek: When I lived in Queens I drove that route every weekend to see my Mom, who was ill..

Globiliser is right about NYC being one of the greatest and best cities in the entire world, but you need a week to really appreciate it..I lived on L.I. all my life & never got to the Statue of Liberty until we had friends visiting from the U.K..

NYC is such a diverse & fascinating city & I miss it terribly, especially during the Christmas season..After our office moved out on Long Island from JFK, my favorite dates with DH were meeting him in Manhattan for a night out on the town..But when one is so pooped out from all that cruising & flying, you are better off finding a Hotel for the night & just resting..

WELSH WIZARDS..Hope you have a wonderful cruise & someday will come back to spend some time in NYC...

Now hopefully some other posters will give you info about Hotels...

Cheers everyone..Must get back to my Alaska packing..:) .Betty

Archived