Dinner on HAL - 1st night we board

Isailaway

We have always cruised with RCCL in the past and this will be our first time with HAL. On the very first night that we board, is dinner attire more casual or does it still follow the more dressy dress code? I have dresses and nice outfits for all other nights -- but wondered about the typical dress code for the first night. Can anyone help me here?

Dress code for the first night is always smart casual. A nice pair of slax or skirt with sweater/top/blouse is fine for the ladies. Gents usually wear trousers or dockers with a collared shirt or polo. You certainly can repeat an outfit and wear it more than once. (Don't spill your soup. :D )

Often on the first night you will see outfits that are more casual than "code" (especially at the first seating) because people haven't gotten their bags yet - either lost by airlines or just not yet delivered to cabins. While many people in that situation will go to the Lido, others will go to the dining room in their travel clothes.

No shorts permitted in the dining room for dinner.

Actually we have seen shorts in the dining room on the first night.

Many of us back in 2004 did not get our luggage until way after dinner. It was Feb 29 - Oosterdam. We spent nearly an hour getting on the ship. The computers did not accept Feb 29. Lifeboat drill was postponed until the next day. People were still getting on the ship after 6. We were the last ship to leave Ft Lauderdale!!

Often on the first night you will see outfits that are more casual than "code" (especially at the first seating) because people haven't gotten their bags yet - either lost by airlines or just not yet delivered to cabins. While many people in that situation will go to the Lido, others will go to the dining room in their travel clothes.[/quote]

Including shorts!

No shorts permitted in the dining room for dinner.

I have seen many people dressed in shorts at the first dinner on HAL!

Personally, I would not dress in shorts at the first dinner. Smart casual on informal nights, including the first night, & (always) a tuxedo on formal nights for me!

Actually we have seen shorts in the dining room on the first night.

Many of us back in 2004 did not get our luggage until way after dinner. It was Feb 29 - Oosterdam. We spent nearly an hour getting on the ship. The computers did not accept Feb 29. Lifeboat drill was postponed until the next day. People were still getting on the ship after 6. We were the last ship to leave Ft Lauderdale!!

Just because you say you have seen it, does not make it HAL Dress Code. I have seen baseball caps in the dining room as well. They shouldn't be there and I doubt there is any adult who doesn't know that.

HAL's dress code says no short in the dining room for dinner, doesn't it?

You cite an isolated circumstance which is definitely not the rule.

We all know flexibility is required in an extreme condition.

This does not imply it is the rule.

Right?

It seems to me that most people don't bother to change for the first dinner - with the lifeboat drill at 4 p.m. and late delivery of luggage it

makes sense to wear travel clothes that don't include shorts if you want to eat in the dining room.

As for baseball caps - on a 50 day cruise one man wore his baseball cap every single night for dinner - when he came in shorts on a formal night he was sent back to his cabin to change - he came back wearing the cap and sweats and was allowed in. On another cruise a woman wore a cowboy hat every night for dinner. It's actually kind of fun to see what people will wear in the dining room but would hate to see total casual there.

Yuk....

Don't most people want to shower after a day of travel before going for dinner in a lovely dining room? It's easy enough to put a change of undies and a shirt/blouse/top in a carry on. Have a nice shower, get cleaned up and enjoy a wonderful dinner.

Does a regular pair of blue jeans fall under the smart casual category? :confused:

Technically, the HAL dress code does not preclude wearing jeans to dinner; it only bars shorts. "Nice" (dressy) jeans, dressed up with a pretty blouse or sweater, would be fine. "Regular" (ordinary Levis) jeans would technically be ok, but if you're sensitive to wanting to dress to the same standard as those around you, you might feel underdressed, especially if you wear them with a non-dressy top. If you want to be on the safe side, consider wearing khakis or chinos instead, with a collared shirt/blouse or a dressy sweater.

This could depend on the dynamics of the particular cruise. Based on what I've read, dress standards do seem to vary based on various factors; generally, but not necessarily, longer cruises are more dressy; Alaska is less dressy; winter and holidays are more dressy; and cruises with more kids, outside major holidays, might be less dressy.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply to my question.

I had planned to board the ship in nice white/blue dress capris and matching top from Stein Mart, along with fancy silver sandals. Wasn't sure if I could wear it to dinner if our luggage would not arrive in time.

Sounds like from your replies that I could wear that if necessary. I like to follow the majority, not the minority as far as dress code goes though.

For the first night I saw everything!!!! We just got back from Alaska on the Oosterdam on Saturday. There were people eating in sweats and work-out clothes!:) Throughout the cruise, my husband and I observed fellow passengers dining in their robes in the Lido.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply to my question.

I had planned to board the ship in nice white/blue dress capris and matching top from Stein Mart, along with fancy silver sandals. Wasn't sure if I could wear it to dinner if our luggage would not arrive in time.

Sounds like from your replies that I could wear that if necessary. I like to follow the majority, not the minority as far as dress code goes though.

Your outfit sounds perfect!!

On the NYC inaugural cruise, boarding time has been moved to 3pm. Most people who have early dinner or who have made early dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants (and many have done that so they will be done eating by sailaway) will not yet have their luggage.

On the NYC inaugural cruise, boarding time has been moved to 3pm. Most people who have early dinner or who have made early dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants (and many have done that so they will be done eating by sailaway) will not yet have their luggage.

You are right there!!

Hi mamaofami:

By indicating the NYC inaugural cruise, do you mean the 3-day cruise departing August 29th., or the 10-day Canada/New England cruise departing September 1st.?

Hi mamaofami:

By indicating the NYC inaugural cruise, do you mean the 3-day cruise departing August 29th., or the 10-day Canada/New England cruise departing September 1st.?

Hope I didn't confuse you if you are going on Sept. 1. I mean the three day cruise. We've been notified that boarding time has been moved from 1pm to 3pm so the US coast Guard can do their inspections since it will be the first time the ship has docked in this country.

Archived