When Life Hands You Lemons - Make Limoncello

Sandytoes

We sailed the CB the end of June and the glasses were diffrent :(

Sandytoes -

Thanks for the great video link! Yes, same glasses on the CB as in the Emerald Princess video. Cool glasses. DD Emily and I were at dinner 2nd formal night last Aug on our CB (first) cruise and wondered what everyone was drinking at the next table that they were enjoying so much. Our waiter poured me one, and kept on pouring.... and pouring... and pouring! DD Emily (17) tried a sip and christened her own name for the drink - she said it reminded her of those little moistened towelettes all us parents take in the car on vacations - to us, Limoncello is now "The Wetnap" !!!!

Bob Laubach

Manassas VA

Hi,

I have received two different style of shot glasses. One has a stem, the other the ball as in the video. I like the one with the stem and looking forward to seeing more of these. I have plenty of the others, can you say boxes.

Anne- certainly, we will have a toast to you. I shall miss you being on this one. Hope to sail with you again in 2010 to Alaska, then we will toast together.

Jacki

Thanks for sharing this video! We LOVE limoncello. In October, we plan to compare Princess' limoncello with the bottle(s) we buy in Sorrento! ;)

As for the glasses, I hope that they still have the same ones. We already have 8 from our last cruise - 4 which we "bought" and 4 that we "won" by completing the "bar crawl" I don't think Princess does the bar crawl anymore - too bad it was fun! :(

Warning!!!!

Do not place the new Limoncello stemware in the dishwasher....:eek:

The shiny metal lining disintegrates. :(

~~~~~

I also have to tell about a Limoncello we picked up in St Thomas.

After trying Limoncello onboard we stopped by a liquor store and picked two different kinds of Limoncello.

Hands down -

Pallini Limoncello

ppallini_shot_lemons.jpg

Smooth - Tasty - Delicious

Wow! That lets people know that it is not worth packing to take back home.

L:DL!!!

I was thinking of that....I wonder if Princess would allow you to bring it back to your cabin?....;)..:D

We bought other types of liquor that were very reasonable priced.

So, we thought :rolleyes: we were getting a deal buying the Limoncello as well.

But, it really doesn't matter -

I guess you can say mine has a more expensive taste....:D

On the Caribbean Princess we bought a bottle in the Duty Free shop on the last night. It was NOT on display, we had to ask for it..... however it was the same amazing brand that Sandy picked up in port :p

Anne

The reporter in the video says that not only Princess is the only one to make homemade Limoncello but it's FREE!!

Is that so?

I do remember being offered Limoncello at the end of Italian night, but I don't remember it being FREE??

MC

No, it is not free. The waiter poured ours, but did not say there was a charge. We got to take the little glasses with us, but then we saw a charge on our statement that we did not sign for. Seems that was it. Not that it mattered, but it would have been nice if they told us ahead of time.

No, it is not free. The waiter poured ours, but did not say there was a charge. We got to take the little glasses with us, but then we saw a charge on our statement that we did not sign for. Seems that was it. Not that it mattered, but it would have been nice if they told us ahead of time.

The drink costs $4.95 and you can keep the glass.

A refill would be $3.95.

(We were given a refill for free)

:o

The next night I thought I could get a refill for $3.95.

So I brought the glasses, wrapped up in my purse, :o to the dining room.

When the waiter came over and asked if we wanted Limoncello

I told him that I brought my glass. :o

He said, No, it's only a one shot :rolleyes: deal.

You need to buy the drink and glass daily if you want Limoncello.

I now have a collection of glasses.....:p..:D

I believe this link was from a previous post on CC. You might want to browse through the posts about making your own Lemoncello.

http://patty.vox.com/library/post/homemade-limoncello-when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

As a single person I doubt that I'd go through the steps necessary to make my own; I can simply walk over to my neighborhood Safeway and buy a bottle and put it in my freezer. I have 4 or 5 Tequilla shot glasses I bought on one of my foreys to Puerto Vallarta few years ago. So when I want some Lemoncello I pour it out into one of my fancy shot glasses and sit out on my patio.

Here's the recipe as I got it from Princess. But I found this way to strong so have adjusted the recipe as shown below. You can adjust it to your desired sweetness level.

Ingredients

1 liter grain alcohol

16 lemons

300 gram sugar

1 liter water

Directions

Peel the lemons making sure that there is no white part. Place the lemon peel inside of thebottle containing the grain alcohol and let it marinate for at least ten days. After ten days separate the alcohol from the peel (throw away the lemons peels). In a skillet pour the water and sugar at the same time and bring it to the boiling point, make sure that the sugar is melted completely. Slowly add the lemon flavored alcohol. Let is simmer for a few minutes. Take it off the flame, cool and place in the refrigerator. To be served very cold.

Adjusted recipe:

2 750 ml bottles of Everclear

24 lemons

7 cups sugar

11 cups water

Steps are the same.

Everclear is 95% alcohol, it seems a bit dangerous to be adding it to boiling simple syrup over an open flame. I would suspect this would put you in danger of easily hitting the flash point.

Archived