Cruise cancelled!!!

The OP didn't book air yet, or would have stated so. When I was bumped off Rhapsody last year because they were redeploying her to Asia we were given the option to rebook on the Voyager which would be the same itinerary at the PREVAILING rate and a $200 OBC for the cabin not PP. The time frame was about the same, we were about 7-8 months before sailing.

You plan your vacations the way you want. When I booked my Easter time cruise about 10 months in advance I purchased fully refundable tickets. The problem I ran into is one of the airlines keep change the time of the return flight. I kept having to re-plan my return plans.

So this year I'm just going to monitor the flights and not book until I see the plane start to fill up or we get closer to the departure date.

My Easter week airfare to SJU has changed 3 times already. It happens with all airlines. I am sure you know this but if an airline changes your flight more then a certain time you can be changed to another flight for free. If the changes do not work for you their policy is that they will change it to work for you as long as the change I think is 45 minutes or more.

Believe me if I could sail out of NYC every time I would. Airfare is not fun at all!

RCL just called and told us our first cruise has been charter and we need to find another, with only 2 options and only a $200.00 ship credit. These date work perfectly with our anniveristy date and work schedule......I wish they would work with us more.......

That sucks, but at least they did give you a 7 month notice. That should be plenty of time for you to change your time off work.

Look at the positive side, you are getting $200 to spend once you get on the ship just for changing your cruise date.

I agree with you. Unfortunately Royal Caribbean is not the only one to pull this stunt.

I agree with both of you as well. Just a quick point-this happends to RCCL all the time. Think of how many people book trips and cancel before final payment is due. Not that everyone does this, but this system works both ways. I have seen people on CC book multiple cruises to get the early pricing, with no intention of going on all of them. Then once they decide, they cancel away. I personally do not see the difference.

I think that that's what the $200 is for.......to cover potential air ticket change fees.

No, the $200 OBC is a "gee we apologize" to lure the customer onto one of the optional cruises. It has nothing to do with airfare, because if you don't go on their selected replacement cruises, you lose it...

Been there done that...several times.

LL

Booper, that looks like some travel agency. Not real swift if they bought up a whole cruise to resell it. Kinda cheesy.

Edit content.

vthompson- You might check out that link and then see if RCI is aware that it's a travel agency that chartered out the ship. I didn't think they allowed travel agents to buy out a whole ship like that. I could be wrong of course, but it might be worth looking into.

Could be a Travel Agent but very doubtful

Booking and holding group space is very different than chartering a ship.

Chartering required a considerable non-refundable deposit up front. We are talking in the very high six or seven figure range

Could be a Travel Agent but very doubtful

Booking and holding group space is very different than chartering a ship.

Chartering required a considerable non-refundable deposit up front. We are talking in the very high six or seven figure range

That would have been my original thought as well. I noticed that the cruise has been pulled from the Grandeur's posted schedule on RCI's website. A number of travel agents still show it though.

Most of the time a group charter like that can be found on the web pretty quick. For some reason this one seems to be hiding a bit.

I have never understood this practice of cancelling people's cruises, in favor of a charter booking. I don't think groups should be able to charter a cruise that already has some staterooms booked by individuals. They should only be able to charter a cruise that hasn't opened up for individual bookings yet. It just doesn't seem fair to people who have booked their cruise, made their vacation plans (getting time off from work mainly), booked their airfare, etc. then be told "oh, sorry, we're bumping you in favor of a group." Just not right. For any cruise line, not just Royal.

When you consider the thousands and thousands of $$$ the cruiseline will generate with a charter and a GUARANTEE of passengers, spending, shore excursions and other things, it is a money maker. In addition, the contract between the chartering group and the cruiseline is ironclad with hefty cancellation penalties (much different than individual bookings) and huge amounts of money due in lump sums at specific times make it more than attractive and more than makes up for a handful of disgruntled passengers who may already be booked. Groups and charters are the bread and butter of the cruise industry. The costs to the cruiseline are also way lower....they don't have to "sell" that week, they don't need as many reservationists or accounting people on it. The chartering entity takes care of all the bookings, collects all the money, gives out all receipts, assigns the cabins, handles questions and problems, makes all shipboard plans such as cocktail parties and other activities. They plan the excursions and collect the money for them.. Itsa no brainer.

Besides, it's in their terms and conditions that they can cancel or change at anytime, without notice......

RCL just called and told us our first cruise has been charter and we need to find another, with only 2 options and only a $200.00 ship credit. These date work perfectly with our anniveristy date and work schedule......I wish they would work with us more.......

What cruise were you scheduled for that got cancelled? We have reservations for the Navigator - 2/28/09 - Hope it's not that one!:eek: We haven't heard anything and according to the RCL website, we have no messages attached to our reservations.

What cruise were you scheduled for that got cancelled? We have reservations for the Navigator - 2/28/09 - Hope it's not that one!:eek: We haven't heard anything and according to the RCL website, we have no messages attached to our reservations.

Unless you have signatures "turned off", you can see the cruise in the OP's signature: March 2, 2009 Grandeur.

Someone here said it is GOS but according to her counter it is NOS and YES it is that date, 2/28/09/

You should call RCI and see what is going on. If you booked through a TA ask the TA to make the call since RCI has not called you because you did not go through their site.

I also book my airfare way out and if my cruise cancelled even 7 months out I would be in deep trouble with the air. Good luck to all of you.

i must say you are all very calm about this. i would be extremely annoyed that a company considers me a client only for as long as they can't sell my room for more money or under more lucrative conditions.

I have never understood this practice of cancelling people's cruises, in favor of a charter booking. I don't think groups should be able to charter a cruise that already has some staterooms booked by individuals. They should only be able to charter a cruise that hasn't opened up for individual bookings yet. It just doesn't seem fair to people who have booked their cruise, made their vacation plans (getting time off from work mainly), booked their airfare, etc. then be told "oh, sorry, we're bumping you in favor of a group." Just not right. For any cruise line, not just Royal.

I agree completely. Why do they do this?:confused: It is not fair because people do take time off from work, etc. And tptb come along and mess things up.:mad:

I understand your situation. The same thing happened to us. We were going on a cruise with some friends we met on a prior cruise. Well our cruise was canceled because the ship was being chartered by Nickelodeon. They didn't give us 7 months notice either. We had several other options at the same rate plus $100 obc per person. We declined and had our deposit refunded. It sure does leave a bad taste in your mouth when you were so excited about taking a specific cruise when it best fit your schedule.

I hope everything works out for you.

I agree; it is just wrong. I book air that far out, and if the $200 is for change fees, then there is virtually nothing for inconvenience.

Booking airfare this far out is a bit risky for reasons beyond just having a cruise canceled. I don't know if travel insurance would cover this.

I have to disagree. Im coming from Australia to the US for my cruise and have had both my cruise and flights booked since april and my cruise isnt till the end of nov.

For me booking my flights early meant i got a cheaper price. And if they cancelled my cruise now and only offered me $200 that would not even come close to the amount i have spent of airfares (over $3000)

The signature last night was for Granduer on 3/2/09 so she must have switched to the Navigator.

You are correct. It was the Grandeur on March 2, 2009 and now it is the Navigator on 2/28/09. So perhaps the OP has changed cruises.

I have to disagree. Im coming from Australia to the US for my cruise and have had both my cruise and flights booked since april and my cruise isnt till the end of nov.

For me booking my flights early meant i got a cheaper price. And if they cancelled my cruise now and only offered me $200 that would not even come close to the amount i have spent of airfares (over $3000)

Then I hope your cruise does not get canceled.

I came upon this thread, I had this article saved in my files..................

Bumped off the ship

Bumped off a cruise ship? Who gets bumped — and why

[/url]

You may have heard of being bumped off an airline flight, but did you know you could be bumped off a cruise ship? Indeed, you can.

The most publicized case of cruise bumping occurred last fall when Carnival Cruise Lines canceled sailings for three ships over a six-month period so the vessels could house New Orleans residents displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Carnival offered its bumped customers full refunds and the opportunity to rebook their cruises on any Carnival ship. Guests who rebooked received a $100-per-person shipboard credit. Carnival notes that the majority of guests understood the extraordinary circumstances and booked other Carnival cruises.

But most bumps don’t go so gently, especially when some passengers get bumped and others don’t. So who gets bumped — and why?

The usual reason is overbooking, sometimes (as in Rebecca Douglass’s case) when a charter group turns up. Other reasons include itinerary changes on multi-segment cruises and changes in vessel availability. According to travel agents, the luckless “bumpee” can be just about anyone. The decision can depend to how a passenger booked his cruise, what cabin category he’s in, and even how he booked his airline tickets.

The law is on the side of the ship owner

There are no federal or state laws prohibiting a cruise line from bumping passengers because of overbooking. Each cruise line has its own bumping policies, which are stated in the terms and conditions of it passenger contract.

In the case of Viking River Cruises, the passenger contract has a special provision for charter bumps. It states: “In the event of charters of the vessels, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the vessel identified in this brochure may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled tour and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to passengers by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement.”

Language like this should give a traveler pause. Not only does it specifically name “charters” (which are voluntary business opportunities) in a list of otherwise uncontrollable conditions, it plainly states that the company will accept no liability for any passenger loss “whatsoever.” “Whatsoever” is a word you really don’t want hanging around your cruise vacation, yet you will find it in most every cruise line’s passenger contract.

Travelers find ways to get what they want

So what is the poor bumped traveler to do?

First, dig in your heels. You don’t have to go down without a fight.

“If the cruise line calls to bump my client, my client does not have to accept it,” says Ben Catalina of Cruises Inc. in San Antonio, Texas. Catalina has had about a dozen clients involved in a cruise bump, and each time it was because the cruise line needed more rooms in a particular cabin category.

Catalina advises all clients to either refuse to be bumped or to negotiate for upgrades, refunds, shipboard credits, pre-cruise lodging — or whatever compensation would make the client happy. “It’s just like an airline bump, but much more is involved and it is a bigger investment,” he points out.

As it turns out, only one of Catalina’s clients accepted a bump, and that was after the cruise line offered her an upgrade to a suite and a refund of $500 to take a sailing two weeks after her scheduled cruise. Catalina believes this client was singled out for the bump because she had purchased her airfare through the cruise line and so would not incur any fees to change her tickets.

But for those travelers whose vacation schedules aren’t flexible — and for those who just don’t want to be bumped — Catalina says, “Stand firm.” Usually, the cruise line will accept your decision and move on to the next candidate.

Doing the right thing

In the case of the Viking River Cruises charter bump, the cruise line took a proactive stance, offering the Douglasses a suitable remedy.

“As with airlines and hotels, cruise ships on occasion become overbooked,” says Lisa Juarez, vice president of marketing communications for Viking River Cruises. “From time to time, but not as regular practice, Viking River Cruises also has itinerary departures that become oversold,”

Juarez notes that Viking typically offers customers another sailing of similar value or similar duration. “We try to accommodate clients’ needs and work with them to fulfill their travel expectations,” she says. “Each situation is evaluated based on circumstances and handled on an individual basis.”

The Douglasses rebooked on a similar itinerary and were upgraded to a higher cabin category. They were also refunded the difference in cost between their initial cruise and hotel package and the new one. Moreover, Viking made custom air and hotel arrangements for them for a pre-cruise stay in their departure city.

“We don’t offer custom packages, but we wanted to accommodate them the best we could,” says Juarez. In fact, the Douglasses were pleased with Viking’s offer.

Bump insurance?

There is no travel insurance policy that covers getting bumped off a cruise. , one of the largest travel insurers, specifically excludes from its cruise coverage any travel arrangements changed or canceled by the cruise line.

The best defense against an unwanted bump is a good travel agent — one who will advocate for you and throw the weight of his agency’s future business behind you. After all, cruise lines worry about getting the heave-ho, too.

Archived