Please share your Seabourn packing tips!

Martita B.

I thought I would start this thread as packing luggage for a Seabourn sailing is becoming almost "an art!"

Please post your tips and ideas ~~~especially in keeping a piece of baggage at a minimum weight.

Cheers and happy voyages!:D

Martita B.

I thought I would start this thread as packing luggage for a Seabourn sailing is becoming almost "an art!"

Please post your tips and ideas ~~~especially in keeping a piece of baggage at a minimum weight.

Cheers and happy voyages!:D

Martita B.

Packing for a cruise has changed dramatically over the years. When I first started cruising, there was the formal wear bag, the main bag, the shoe bag etc with basically every nice piece of clothing I owned! Over the years, and especially now with wieght limitations, I pack differently. I pair of black dress shoes, I wear on the plane. These are the shoes I wear every evening, including formal evenings (don't bring formal shoes). I pack sandals and sneakers. I tend to pack 3 dress slacks, and shirts that can be worn with or without a jacket, for informal and casual nights. Shorts and daytime shirts. Of course a bathing suit. Although I have a new tuxedo, I learned that by packing my black european style jacket, black pants and tuxedo shirt and tie, I can get away with formal look, without bringing an actual tuxedo. I can wear the pants and jacket other nights with different shirts, mix and match etc. I tend to use dry cleaning plastic bags between clothes to ensure less wrinkling. I also use shipboard credits to have clothes laundered or dry cleaned on board.

Traveling has changed dramatically over the years, with new weight limitations, charges etc....

Host Dan

My packing has also changed ~~I use to take 1 large (49 pds.) piece of luggage along with 1 large hanger bag, for my evening clothes.

Now I'm having to rethink my packing/luggage.

One tip I have is simply, mail or UPS a box to the hotel you're staying at before embarking the ship. I give some clothing items to my Stewardess or other cute gals aboard before I pack to fly home.

I always take "costumes" for ship events/parties and always leave these behind.

I'm already worried as to packing for the 26 day voyage coming up in Oct. ~~~I will use Seabourn Valet Service to Lisbon for 1 piece of luggage then fly with a roll-on.

Happy weekend!

Martita B.

One thing to always keep in the back of your mind when packing for a cruise, especially a long one is - USE the LAUNDRY SERVICE!

It's a shame that the airlines have changed the way we pack and ultimately the way we dress. Luckily services like the Valet Luggage service help combat against this. I still manage to bring a tuxedo, dress shoes and all the acoutrements. Since I cruise mostly warm weather locations, I am always on the lookout for lightweight daytime wear for cruising.

Martita, I love this topic! It is especially relevant inasmuch as today we are packing for our long awaited 2l day Pride journey to the Baltics on the l4th. Okay, here is my packing which now is greatly reduced strictly for the ease and because it just looks silly in this day and age to bring so much "stuff"! One colour combinatation: this time black and white and for a shot of colour turquoise and coral - black short dress skirt, white silk blouse, twin cashmere and silk sweater set, black light wool wrap skirt, black wool pants (very, very light weight), jeans and two skirts, l2 sleeveless tanks to wear under cashmere sweaters and two jackets, one creme and one black - one day purse, one evening, two pair of shoes, 6 pashminas, three belts - l lightweight cashmere coat in black to wear for warmth, an old but stylish ski parka in black very lightweight but warm with hood for the first part of the trip, and a black raincoat which is always on holiday with me. That is it!! Okay accessories like jewellery, etc., but this whole thing fits in one bag, and one small tote. In May on the trip on Legend, we had so many packs it actually toppled over when going back and there were no formal nights to speak of, only l each week. This time there are 6 total, but with these different combinations, feel sure I will still look presentable - if not actually wishing at some times, that "oh, I wish the so and so were here to wear with this", We are also staying on another two months on the end, but this does not affect the clothing for the trip. I also LEAVE always all of the tanks that I bring, and sometimes the day shoes. Thanks for starting this tread. R'

This isn't a clothes comment (I am a Land's End/use the laundry a lot) kind of woman. However, when offered the choice of soaps, I always pick the lemon-scented one. I unwrap it and tuck it in my suitcase as a sachet. I take out the 'old' one and then use that for the cruise and home use.

Another luggage tip is to buy Magellen's "retriever luggage tags."

I have been using these tags for 10 years. There are 2 for less than $10. You place your itinerary inside the vinyl tags and if the bags are misplaced the airline will know where to forward the luggage while you're en route and won't send them to your home address.

I just type all my flight #'s and the hotel addresses where I'll be staying and insert the information.

I hope my luggage is never lost or misplaced but if it is, I feel comfortable in knowing it will be sent on to me.

Martita B.

When I'm packing my hanging tux, shirts, etc., I use a dry cleaning bag on every other item...half the hassle and the results are the same.

I also will put a pair of slacks on a hanger, then add the dress shirt, and place a jacket on top, with the shirt sleeves in the coat sleeves. Fold a tie and place it in the coat inside pocket. The coat lining protects the shirt sleeves from wrinkling, and it's a whole outfit on one hanger. Also, it's easy to unpack!

Paul :)

We will be on the Pride crossing Oct. 30. My husband dislikes a tuxedo but we'd still like to eat in the DR. Is his navy suit appropriate, or, what's this about a black jacket and pants with a tuxedo shirt and tie? Sounds like a solution, but my husband may still rebel at the shirt/tie. We've been comfortable with a dark suit on Regent formal nights, but on Cunard almost everyone has a tuxedo (don't the British have more formal nights at home than Americans?). We will have 3 formal out of 12 nights, I understand.

There were certain items that we used to take more of because we would worry what happens if we stain x item. For example, I used to take many more dress shirts or many more pairs of slacks. We now take less and recognize if there is a stain we'll just have the items cleaned.

My wife does a couple of major things that have really helped. She makes a comprehensive list of what we'll wear each night and that helps to think all of this through so we take what we need. And, during the cruise she keeps a record of what we wear, and what we don't wear, and how many times we wear it, and this information helps as we prepare for future cruises.

Now, some items that we used to take we now leave at home. For example, she used to wear beaded formal gowns on formal nights but given the weight of these gowns she takes ones that weight quite a bit less.

All of this helps.

Keith

One thing I have learned to do with formal and dress shirts is not to have them laundered before I leave. They are run through the washer the last time I wear them just to get the dirt out, then I stuff them wherever they will fit in the suit case and I immediately have them laundered upon boarding the ship. This way they are fresh and clean and much more flexible when it comes to packing.

Another idea ~~an 'oldie but goodie~~is to draw a hot bath while unpacking. Then hang some of your clothing at the back of the tub. Especially what you decide to wear that night to dinner. Draw the shower curtain and close the bathroom door and run off to the Sky Bar to meet and mingle!

For some clothing I use the shipboard laundry for pressing.....but I really like to "steam" most of my clothing myself.

Thank you for posting all your grrreat tips!

Martita B.

I traveled alot on business for many years and over time I significantly reduced the amount of clothing I took and yet was usually prepared for almost any weather or event that unexpectedly came up. The key to making this work was that I always shopped with travel in mind (ie., does this work with other pieces in terms of color and ability to layer, is it lightweight, unlikely to wrinkle, can it be dressed up or down easily by changing shoes, jewelry or a jacket,etc.).That way packing was a snap. Whenever I shop now I still don't buy single purpose outfits, I buy pieces that mix and match. I don't bring any tops or bottoms unless they go with at least three other tops or bottoms.So for our upcoming trip on the Legend from Rome to Barcelona with three nights pre and post in each of those cities here is my packing list .( BTW, I always look at the itinerary and plan out what I will "likely" wear each day based on what we will be doing -- hiking around Mt Etna -- requires very comfortable clothes and shoes or visiting churches in Rome -- need to be a bit more dressed up and covered up).Oh, and all of this ( for both of us) will fit in one bag of approximately 40 lbs to be shipped ahead through Seabourn Valet and one approximately 15 lb bag that we will carry on the plane.

Hers

8 tops( light weight knits -- silk or cotton)

3 pr crops pants

1 pr bermuda shorts

1pr exercise shorts

1 wicking exercise top

1 skirt

3 dresses(cotton/silk/jersey)

1 long silk chiffon slip gown

2 pashminas

1 rain coat

2 bathing suits

5 pairs of shoes( gold and silver dress heeled sandals, sneakers, and two pair of casual sandals)

Him

2 silk T-shirts

3 polo shirts

2 short sleeved linen shirts

3 ties

1 tux shirt and cumberbun

2 pairs of shorts

1 pair of exercise shorts

1 wicking exercise T-shirt

2 bathing suits

4 pairs of pants( two dressy/ two casual)

1 navy balazer

1 rainproof jacket

4 pairs of shoes -- dress shoes, sneakers and two pair of casual slipons).

I also use plastic bags between layer and fold the clothes in an overlapping manner with the clothes most likely to wrinkle on the outside and knits in the center.It works for me. I feel like I have alot of flexibilty and don't feel like I have worn the same thing over and over again.

OK here are my tips:

Use ultra light weight suitcases, big ones.

When you travel business class, weight is not so much a problem.

When you travel economy, sometimes you can "buy" extra kilos on forehand (for less extra) at least here in Europe.

I pack more clothes for ME, than for René (ladies, I advise you to do the same).

Indeed (as mentioned before) just one pare of black shoes for the gentlemen and have them wear the shoes they wear on deck while traveling.

Put a lot of heavy stuff in your hand luggage, like books.

Well, we read books in Dutch (could read English ones) but prefer our own language. But most of you can take books from the library.

I like to bring my whole wardrobe! But I know I can't. Have to make choices. I try to pick the least heavy items, when flying economy and the more heavy stuff when in business class.

For my husband I try to bring t-shirts to sleep in, that I throw away after using.

If there are Dutch people in the crew, I leave them our books and magazines.

I put thin paper between my precious clothes to avoid wrinkling.

Traveling FROM home, I always double pack the suitcases; half my clothes and half René's (and of course things that match). In case we lose one piece of the luggage.

I always put one bikini and underwear in my hand luggage. What is "a girl" without a well fittting bikini, you will never find one!

Sometimes I even put a sort of formal dress rolled up in my hand luggage.

Don't bring too many heavy warm clothes. Rather wear layers.

Don't worry too much about packing! Be happy that you are fortunate enough to do so!

I may have forgotten a tip or two. Then I will let you know later.

Anyway, I for one will be VERY happy, if I may pack for our first upcoming cruise and in that case, we won't be flying!

Have a nice weekend and enjoy the Olympics! Wasn't the opening ceremony great?

Marja

Another idea ~~I have friend that has been sailing Seabourn since the early 90's. Her trick is to wear her colorful silk caftan to dinner the last night, after packing and readying her luaggage to be placed in the corridor. She keeps her disembarking clothing out, of course, but packs everything else. She looks so chic and cute in the Club and this trick has worked for her for many years!:p

(I'd look perfectly silly but Pat looks like a million)

Anyone for Club Caftan's?

Martita B.

FYI - For the US folks: Just found battery-powered tealights at Michael's Crafts. Also available at Walgreens.

Tip 1- get perfume samples from where you purchase perfume and take them instead of a whole bottle. When the sample is finished, open the top and put in a drawer to have lovely scented clothes. I also use the perfume for aromatherapy baths.

Tip 2 - Never, ever take a whole bottle of anything - Sample sizes only. Usually take a couple of small bottle of contact lens fluid- can be more easily distributed.

Tip 3 - Stuff shoes with socks.

Tip 4 - Take a small spray bottle for ironing (:mad: ) as I never seem to find one on a ship. Also, quilters will tell you the best ironing aid is Mary Ellen's Best Press (available at Joann's and other large craft stores or quilt shops) -- makes ironing much easier but without heavy starch or sizing. Comes in different scents or no scent.

Tip 5 - Packing list spreadsheet -- everything I take is put on an Excel spreadsheet, printed and taken with me on the plane. If they lose my luggage, I have a complete list of all items. Knock wood -- never had to use this yet!

Tip 6 - I put my necklaces in individual velvet drawstring sacks -- can be more easily distributed than putting them all in one case and keeps everything tidy.

Marga

While I don't have a spread sheet, I do take photos of my suitcases and their contents as I pack, layer by layer. Naturally, I never have any receipts for the clothes unless they are new, and rarely are <G>.

I was really fortunate when an expensive dress was removed from my luggage and I had no receipt. I had a picture of me wearing it, and

my ins. w/Amer. Express very graciously accepted that. Perhaps the picture was not the reason, but I believe it was. So..good idea Jane!

Another luggage tip is to buy Magellen's "retriever luggage tags."

I have been using these tags for 10 years. There are 2 for less than $10. You place your itinerary inside the vinyl tags and if the bags are misplaced the airline will know where to forward the luggage while you're en route and won't send them to your home address.

I just type all my flight #'s and the hotel addresses where I'll be staying and insert the information.

I hope my luggage is never lost or misplaced but if it is, I feel comfortable in knowing it will be sent on to me.

Martita B.

We use those too. Last year in Beijing we had left three suitcases in hotel storage while we took a short trip to Xian. The hotel accidently sent my husband's to the airport with an Irish tour group. They called the tour company, the bus driver, the airport, etc. and couldn't locate it, so we had to go on our Yangtzee River cruise with only a few items of clothing that my husband had in our dirty clothes bag. The hotel also provided free laundry and bought him a few things to wear. After the cruise, we stopped at the airport's lost and found and magically they had discovered the lost luggage just the day before. We had a copy of our itinerary in the outer pocket, but noone had thought to look. As soon as we got home, we bought those retriever tags and won't travel without them.

I try to take a lot of items that can be mixed and matched. For evening, I have some of those great Chico's black pants, skirts, and jackets and I wear various color tops with the jackets or with an overblouse or pashima shawl. I have also begun to take lighter weight formal clothes with less beading to weigh them down. Packing is definitely a challenge these days.

Since we have to pack most liquids in our checked luggage, I now carry a few extra pants and tops in my carry-on( in case of lost luggage), and also my books, since they can be heavy. I give my books to the library at the end of the cruise so I have less to carry.

For we ladies evening shoes can add additional weight to our luggage

so I've planned to take 1 pr. black evening heels, 1 pr. velvet flats and 1 pr. of black satin flats but am taking a pair of Swarovski rhinestone bow shoe clips to add glitz to the plain shoes.

I remember my Mother having several types of shoe clips ~~

I guess history does repeat itself!

(I'm sure I could pack only one pair of evening slippers and I'd be just fine!)

Martita B.

When you wear your evening shoes - do you click your heels together & say..."there's no place like Seabourn, There's no place like Seabourn..."

Hugs

For we ladies evening shoes can add additional weight to our luggage

so I've planned to take 1 pr. black evening heels, 1 pr. velvet flats and 1 pr. of black satin flats but am taking a pair of Swarovski rhinestone bow shoe clips to add glitz to the plain shoes.

I remember my Mother having several types of shoe clips ~~

I guess history does repeat itself!

(I'm sure I could pack only one pair of evening slippers and I'd be just fine!)

Martita B.

For both mine and my husbands long trousers I use the cardboard tube from either the cling wrap or kitchen foil, I fold the trousers over these - it saves having that dreadful crease that usually happens when folded in the suitcase. 4 tubes usually does for all we take as you can usually get 5 pairs over the one tube.

Archived