Duty free shops question

carmensmom

I have read that shops on board have sales on the last night of the cruise, does this include the alcohol and perfume in the duty free shops?

Not usually. The prices are the same on the booze and perfume throughout the whole cruise. They don't put the duty free expensive perfumes on sale. Watch some of the prices too, because some of the prices really aren't that good or better compared to on land. They do sales on gold and things like that, but then the rest of it is pretty much junk sales on junk jewelery, purses, t shirts, and just your basic cheap stuff. You pretty much see this across all the lines. Same stuff.

The 'sale' they have in one of the dining rooms towards the end of the cruise consists of some pretty unimpressive stuff. Interestingly they were selling evening bags for $10.00 each and when I found one with a tag saying $5.00 I decided to purchase it. I took it to the cashier who, snippily, informed the tag meant nothing and the price was 10.00. The bag had obviously been reincarnated several times before the price went up.....some sale LOL! One lady did quite well buying a lot of Alaska stuff for her grandkids at half price since she was scheduled to take a cruise there later this summer and would have had to pay more for the same stuff on her Alaska cruise.

They had a "75%" sale last sea day in one of main dining rooms. Seemed like old merchandise and not anything from the main shops. Lots of t shirts (but from other port stops not current), miscellaneous handbags. Nothing much that I found but many people must have found stuff as line to check out long. It ran from 10-1. If you get there early find what you want then hide it and go back just before it closes as line not so long :cool:. They have jewelry & other things selling in the main hallway outside the boutiques just about every day , which I bought 2 beautiful rings 2 for 39.95. They sold gold by the inch also. Costume jewelry, watches, and other things as well. As far as liquor, yes very good deal onboard. We bought a mixed case (12 bottles) of absolute, jose cuervo, several types of coconut rum, gin, can't remember what else for $120 or so. This was a great deal. They will box it for you and deliver to your stateroom last night. If you buy that much, remember to ask them to box it into 2 boxes with handles. They did not do this for us and my DH had to carry it off at disembarkation kind of heavy. We didn't realize until it was too late. It was a good way to stock up on liquor for a very good price IMO. Happy cruising!

They have "sales" in the atrium on many of the days, but often the price is the same as inside the shops all the time.

The day of the "up to 75%" off sale in one of the dining rooms usually has the following types of merchandise for sale:

a) Normal priced stiff such as $10 handbags and neckties

b) Port stuff (e.g., tee shirts) from ports that the ship will not be returning to in the current year. We were once able to purchase Antartica items at such a sale the year before our Antarctica cruise.

c) Discontinued Princess logo items

d) Some out-of-season seasonal merchandise such as Christmas items

As someone mentioned, check out lines are often long. They call it a pre-inventory sale, but I see the same items on different ships time after time.

One of the sales I found really interesting is when they brought out all of the gemstones (ni diamonds, emeralds or sapphires). Basically all of the 'birthstone' gemstones. And tehy ranged from very small to quite large (3 and 4 carats). It was fun to go around and look at all of the stones. The prices were quite reasonable, I thought. This was a perfect sale if you wanted to pick up some smaller stones to have earrings made or a larger stone to have a pendant made. And remember, gemstones really are duty free (they're considered rocks since they're not in a setting).

Archived