I Found a Room Service Menu.....

sail7seas

When I opened one of our suitcases to pack for our upcoming Maasdam cruise, I found an HAL breakfast menu in the bottom of the bag.

I got curious and pulled out a room service door hang menu from resort in FLL where we recently enjoyed 8 nights.

Of course, HAL's menu has no prices as it is included in the price of our cruises.

The resort's menu certainly had prices.

Next time you are deciding if you are getting 'value for your vacation dollar' on HAL and are one who enjoys room service breakfast, think of these prices at the resort:

A Few examples.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice $5.00 per glass

Grapefruit Juice $5.00

V-8 $4.00

Bagel and Cream Cheese $5.00

Croissant (2) $3.00

Oatmeal $6.00

Eggs $3.00 EACH

Omelette with ham and cheese $14.00

Pot of coffee for one $4.00

Coffee for two $8.00

They add a 20% service charge (tip) and $3.00 charge for in room dining plus taxes.

Pricey breakfast.

You should see the Room Service Dinner Menu. :D

We chose to have breakfast in the lovely breakfast room every morning and it cost $25 per person. For two people, eight mornings, if my arithmetic is correct, $400 plus tips and taxes.

When I opened one of our suitcases to pack for our upcoming Maasdam cruise, I found an HAL breakfast menu in the bottom of the bag.

I got curious and pulled out a room service door hang menu from resort in FLL where we recently enjoyed 8 nights.

Of course, HAL's menu has no prices as it is included in the price of our cruises.

The resort's menu certainly had prices.

Next time you are deciding if you are getting 'value for your vacation dollar' on HAL and are one who enjoys room service breakfast, think of these prices at the resort:

A Few examples.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice $5.00 per glass

Grapefruit Juice $5.00

V-8 $4.00

Bagel and Cream Cheese $5.00

Croissant (2) $3.00

Oatmeal $6.00

Eggs $3.00 EACH

Omelette with ham and cheese $14.00

Pot of coffee for one $4.00

Coffee for two $8.00

They add a 20% service charge (tip) and $3.00 charge for in room dining plus taxes.

Pricey breakfast.

You should see the Room Service Dinner Menu. :D

We chose to have breakfast in the lovely breakfast room every morning and it cost $25 per person. For two people, eight mornings, if my arithmetic is correct, $400 plus tips and taxes.

Sail, for some reason I thought you had gone to an "all inclusive" resort? We were at a resort in June but it was modified American, so included breakfast and dinner and the food was excellant.

Sail, for some reason I thought you had gone to an "all inclusive" resort? We were at a resort in June but it was modified American, so included breakfast and dinner and the food was excellant.

No, Jade. All inclusives aren't for us.

We aren't fans of Embassy Suites either. :o We stayed an Embassy once and while it was fine, we never wanted to return.

We, too, have been shocked at the prices for breakfast in hotels near the cruise ports. At the Holiday Inn across from the San Diego Port, I clearly remember french toast being $12.00. I can get that at IHOP for under $5.00 - or make it at home for about 30 cents. And both of those options are more tasty. :)

We, too, have been shocked at the prices for breakfast in hotels near the cruise ports. At the Holiday Inn across from the San Diego Port, I clearly remember french toast being $12.00. I can get that at IHOP for under $5.00 - or make it at home for about 30 cents. And both of those options are more tasty. :)

WOW, that's crazy!!$12 for French toast. :eek:

Embassy is a hotel room...... and absolutely nothing wrong with that. The Embassy in FLL is very popular with cruisers.

We like resorts with full facilities. Just our personal preference. We like pretty resort grounds with lots of plantings, the Marina in an area where applicable, a resort style swimming pool and lounge area. A sit down lunch area at pool etc

We tried the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale the last time we cruised from there. We've been to others that we really liked (the Phoenix one is excellent) - but this one was a bit crowded for us. We didn't enjoy waiting in the long cocktail line, nor the hectic breakfast buffet where we struggled to find a place to sit.

Our reservation is at Hilton's Grande Hotel and Yacht Club for this fall's cruise. The price is not that much different - and it appears that it will be more to our liking. Though, I'm sure we'll still overpay for breakfast. :)

No, Jade. All inclusives aren't for us.

We aren't fans of Embassy Suites either. :o We stayed an Embassy once and while it was fine, we never wanted to return.

That is funny. Did you recall that I mentioned we stayed one night at the Embassy in Miami for our Century cruise in February? It worked well with my teenage stepdaughter and friend, two rooms, breakfast, warm outdoor pool, managers reception included their colas....

The Modified American works well at the Grand Resorts and with family groups. Everyone does what they want and meets for dinner (kind of the same as being on a ship).

This makes me really appreciate the room service for breakfast on HAL. Mine has always arrived hot and as ordered - quite a feat when you consider the number of orders they must get! :)

On Noordam (last week) Room service was awful, so bad I think I may send a letter to Seattle. We ordered simple (nothing cooked) and milk was always warm. We would order 4 cereals (two each) and 4 milks and just get two milks and the milk with the tea would not come. One time they forgot our spoons. It was not up to HAL standards at all. They did not come at the time scheduled either.

That is funny. Did you recall that I mentioned we stayed one night at the Embassy in Miami for our Century cruise in February? It worked well with my teenage stepdaughter and friend, two rooms, breakfast, warm outdoor pool, managers reception included their colas...

What's funny? I'm confused. :o

The Modified American works well at the Grand Resorts and with family groups. Everyone does what they want and meets for dinner (kind of the same as being on a ship).

We don't travel in a large family group and we like to be free to go to different restaurants off property each night if we wish.

[/b]

We have stayed at Embassy Suites in many cities.

The worst one was in Boston. It is located in a very poor area. Limited menu for lunch and dinner. The bar wasn't even open for lunch!! Now we knew that because of Massachusettes law there would not be any free cocktails. We were scheduled to stay there at the end of our cruise as well. We cancelled that reservation and stayed at the Hilton in the Business District.

The worst one was in Boston. It is located in a very poor area. Limited menu for lunch and dinner. The bar wasn't even open for lunch!! Now we knew that because of Massachusettes law there would not be any free cocktails. We were scheduled to stay there at the end of our cruise as well. We cancelled that reservation and stayed at the Hilton in the Business District.

I didn't even know if Boston had an Embassy. Hilton in the business district? What is the name of the hotel?

There are so many fabulous hotels in Boston and such fantastic dining I can't imagine anyone failing to find the perfect place to stay and to have a light lunch or gourmet dinner.

Research! :) ;)

I didn't even know if Boston had an Embassy. Hilton in the business district? What is the name of the hotel?

There are so many fabulous hotels in Boston and such fantastic dining I can't imagine anyone failing to find the perfect place to stay and to have a light lunch or gourmet dinner.

Research! :) ;)

Well - I can outdo you all :D:eek:

This is real (and I can provide a link to the hotel's rooms service menu), and is from a London Hotel where my DW was staying for a night on business some months ago. Bear in mind these prices are in sterling, and a rough rule of thumb would be to DOUBLE them for $$ prices :eek:

Oat porridge served with cream and brown sugar £7.00

Bakery basket £7.00

Two organic eggs served boiled, poached, £7.00

scrambled or fried, with grilled tomatoes

Omelette with cheese, mushroom, ham or herbs £11.50

Corned beef hash with marinated tomatoes, £15.00

grilled peppers and a poached egg

Gammon steak, cold ham, streaky or back bacon, per item £6.00

rare breed British Lop sausages, grilled

mushroom, black and white Clonakilty pudding

Grilled kipper or poached smoked haddock £12.50

Toasted bagel with oak smoked wild Scottish £17.00

salmon and cream cheese

Eggs Benedict with rashers of crisp bacon £16.50

Room service on HAL certainly seems like a bargain now, doesn't it!!

Tim

Well - I can outdo you all :D:eek:

This is real (and I can provide a link to the hotel's rooms service menu), and is from a London Hotel where my DW was staying for a night on business some months ago. Bear in mind these prices are in sterling, and a rough rule of thumb would be to DOUBLE them for $$ prices :eek:

Oat porridge served with cream and brown sugar £7.00

Bakery basket £7.00

Two organic eggs served boiled, poached, £7.00

scrambled or fried, with grilled tomatoes

Omelette with cheese, mushroom, ham or herbs £11.50

Corned beef hash with marinated tomatoes, £15.00

grilled peppers and a poached egg

Gammon steak, cold ham, streaky or back bacon, per item £6.00

rare breed British Lop sausages, grilled

mushroom, black and white Clonakilty pudding

Grilled kipper or poached smoked haddock £12.50

Toasted bagel with oak smoked wild Scottish £17.00

salmon and cream cheese

Eggs Benedict with rashers of crisp bacon £16.50

Room service on HAL certainly seems like a bargain now, doesn't it!!

Tim

Sounds like the prices when we stayed at the London Ritz.

Ducks and swans? Are they gone? We've not stayed at this particular ES before.

For years there were 2 black swans outside at the pond area -- one died about 4 or 5 years ago. The other one wa left there for about a year -- then that one died.

Ducks -- there used to be 4 ducks that swam in the inside the Rock and Pond Area. When the hurricane came through Ft Lauderdale a couple of years ago, 2 of the ducks died when glass from roof came down and killed down. Two were still there for awhile but now they are gone.

I keep asking Dave and Tom (hotel managers) if they are ever going to be replaced -- unfortunenately -- the answer is "No".

Embassy is a hotel room...... and absolutely nothing wrong with that. The Embassy in FLL is very popular with cruisers.

We like resorts with full facilities. Just our personal preference. We like pretty resort grounds with lots of plantings, the Marina in an area where applicable, a resort style swimming pool and lounge area. A sit down lunch area at pool etc

Embassy Suites are not just a 'Hotel" room -- they are 2 rooms suites -- separate living room area from bedroom.

They have pools -- spas -- lots of plantings in many of the ones we have been to -- atriums and ponds inside -- gardens and ponds outside (Boston had none of this) - heated outdoor swimming pool - cascading waterfall into the pool -- exercise rooms - lounge area -- bar area -- can have lunch and dinner by the pool -- etc.

Marina -- no -- but do you rent a boat when you are in Ft Lauderdale?? Why is that important??

Archived