Portable DVD at dinner

angel22230

Do you guys think it will be ok to take a small portable DVD player with no sound to dinner so the little one can watch?

Thanks~

IMHO, a portable DVD player with the sound very low is a blessing for both parents and toddlers. We enoyed 7 dinners with two formal nights due to Nemo and Peep. :)

However, I would definately advise not to pose this question on the main boards. The responses can get quite heated. ;)

We have used the portable dvd player for our dd as well and we have eaten in the dining room every night with it. It really keeps her entertained through the long dinners. I always make sure it is placed out of the way in the least obtrusive way possible and I make sure to let those dining around me know if it is bothering them. Most tell me they had no idea it was even there until I said something. No one has ever complained. Instaed, the comment on how well-behaved she is.

If possible try to see if your child can learn to behave at dining tables. It's a valuable skill to have. Our daughter does when we are at our own table without other guests. With other guets the conversation can bore her, (and them). In those instances we tended to limit her time at the table for 60 minutes before taking her to the kids club. Using a DVD player is little different than getting them to color or read a book. Some fussier passengers may object, but rest assured they would object even more if they the kid was misbehaving. As long as it was quiet (our daughter uses headphones we were given on the plane down) there should be no objection. Especially if you have the child between yourselves so that the screen action doesn't distract the other guests at your table.We have a little device called a Leapster. It's like a mini-handheld game computer. It's packed with fun learning software and she can be engrossed in it for a very long period of time. I found this a finer balance solution to most other passengers: it's more interactive than TV and as such seems to have a higher degree of acceptability.In the end, no matter what you do you will upset someone. However if your child is well behaved at the table, not screaming or crying and not running up and down spoiling the dinner for other guests I thank you wholeheartedly for being so considerate in finding solutions to keep your child amused during dinner.

Last year my little girl was 3.5 and we took an ipod with child friendly earphones for her to watch movies and cartoons on. We used to tell her that if she ate all her greens she could watch Scooby Doo afterwards while mommy and daddy peacefully drank the rest of the bottle of wine.

She enjoyed herself more than being made to sit to atention at the table, and so did we. Because of the headphones, so did all our table neighbors.

I definately plan to do the same this year.

Oh yeah, I preloaded my Zune (like iPod) player with 60 Disney videos on it. We can plug it into the room's TV but it can be used like a portable video player at the dining table too.

Glad to hear this worked. I have an ipod touch already loaded with videos for DS2 for when we are at restaurants, soccer, etc. He hates the earphones, but likes to just watch. I plan to bring this with as I get internet access on it too.

2 years ago when we were on the Carinval Valor we brought one for my youngest who was 2 at the time. It kept her quiet and entertained, she watched NEMO the whole week. We are cruising in a week, and now she is 4. I do not think we will bring one to dinner with us, but we will have one with us in the cabin. I figure if she gets too antsy at dinner we can run down to the room and get it for her.

What? A DVD player in a cruise dining room? What is this world coming to? What kind of parents are you? Can't you control your little brats? You shouldn't even have them on a cruise if they can't be forced to behave during dinner.

The preceding message was brought to you by the 'Cruisers Against Children Cruising League'. :p

I'm kidding, of course. I just thought I'd throw in some of the nastiness I've seen in similar threads, since the haters seem to be absent on this one. Who knows, maybe 'some' people have finally figured out that parents who care enough about their families and the people around them to take measures to keep their children amused and happy are to be commended!

Definitely take the DVD player. As has been noted, anyone who complains about your child sitting quietly and watching a dvd is going to find something to complain about no matter what you do. I always wonder the same thing about 'those' people... are their own tables so boring that they have nothing better to do during their dinner than scope the room for things to complain about? :p

What? A DVD player in a cruise dining room? What is this world coming to? What kind of parents are you? Can't you control your little brats? You shouldn't even have them on a cruise if they can't be forced to behave during dinner.

The preceding message was brought to you by the 'Cruisers Against Children Cruising League'. :p

:p

LOL -- omg, when I first started reading this, I didn't notice who had posted and thought it was serious... and I was so ready to write a scathing response... LOL.

You are right, though. I have seen something very close to your words on mainstream boards...

"I don't know what's wrong with parents today. By the time my kids were 6 months old they could sit motionless at any formal dinner table for hours without uttering a word on the slight chance that their mere existance might disturb someone..."

As the mother of a 2 yr old, I understand what a lifesaver the portable DVD can be. We only let her watch on special occasions (no TV at home at all), so she is totally pre-occupied when it does come out.

That said, I have to say it would be so great if everyone could get their children accustomed to either wearing the kiddie headphones, or watching with no sound. I think some parents underestimate how loud their DVD is really playing, and I can understand why others don't want to hear Nemo throughout their dinner - same as they don't want misbehaving children.

Ok, I guess I'm the odd mom out here. While a child with a DVD or game system at dinner certainly wouldn't bother me, I don't think I'll ever give my kids that option.

I guess mostly I don't like to have kids glued to movies all the time. I don't have a DVD in my car, I've always made my kids 1)carry on a conversation with the rest of the family 2) read books 3) enjoy the scenery or 4) sleep. If the little ones scream, we all sing silly songs. I basically do the same on a plane, but next trip, I'm definately loading up some kids stuff on my iTouch for my youngest - our Salt Lake to Anchorage flight will be her longest plane ride yet.

We also eat out locally 3-4 times a week and I've never allowed hand held games or even considered taking a DVD player. My oldest has always been well behaved at resturants. My little one is a bit more of a trouble maker but we manage.

So I guess I'm just wondering; am I nuts or are you?

While there is nothing wrong with distracting your kids for a long meal, I guess I've always thought dinner time was family time, time to enjoy food and conversation together.

But hmm, I guess with my kids glued to a video screen I could actually food and conversation . . .

Ok, I guess I'm the odd mom out here. While a child with a DVD or game system at dinner certainly wouldn't bother me, I don't think I'll ever give my kids that option.

I guess mostly I don't like to have kids glued to movies all the time. I don't have a DVD in my car, I've always made my kids 1)carry on a conversation with the rest of the family 2) read books 3) enjoy the scenery or 4) sleep. If the little ones scream, we all sing silly songs. I basically do the same on a plane, but next trip, I'm definately loading up some kids stuff on my iTouch for my youngest - our Salt Lake to Anchorage flight will be her longest plane ride yet.

We also eat out locally 3-4 times a week and I've never allowed hand held games or even considered taking a DVD player. My oldest has always been well behaved at resturants. My little one is a bit more of a trouble maker but we manage.

So I guess I'm just wondering; am I nuts or are you?

While there is nothing wrong with distracting your kids for a long meal, I guess I've always thought dinner time was family time, time to enjoy food and conversation together.

But hmm, I guess with my kids glued to a video screen I could actually food and conversation . . .

Well, I would say that my son is "glued to a video screen" -- as he doesn't really watch tv/movies/computers at home --- and rarely when eating out at home since those meals don't usually run an hour and half or more -- but being TWO, he does tend to get bored during a LONG dinner with a lot of adult conversation that often goes over his head. I would venture that while most adults appreciate long meals over interesting conversation most toddlers aren't as keen. So, frankly, while I don't think you are "nuts" not to use a DVD player, I don't think that I am either. I am simply another mom who has found a reasonable way to entertain a toddler in a situation that is outside the norm for a TWO YEAR OLD.

Okay, I know I'll get slammed for this, but here goes!! First let me say that I would not be bothered by a dvd in the diningroom. This does not mean I agree with it. We travel with our 3 dd's quite often and have since they were months old. Our oldest is going on thirteen and our youngest is now four. They do really well at dinner and look forward to dressing up and behaving like "little" ladies. I understand your desire to have adult conversation and a long dinner, but with children, this is not always possible. We have left(a few dinners) when our girls were younger and started to misbehave, to teach them what is expected. Yes, adult conversation is boring, but why not engage your little boy in your conversation? Dinners have always been important to our family and we enjoy spending this time together. You may be surprised at how well your son will do. Don't forget the wait staff loves children, they look forward to visiting with them, and make them feel special. My only suggestion, try a dinner without the dvd and see how he does. Have a great trip. I'm sure you'll make some great memories. Janice

I have already posted on this that when my daughter was 2 we did bring a portable dvd player into the dining room. With that said, people forget one thing..

Kids are kids, they are NOT little adults. You bring a child on a cruise, they are doing a whole bunch of things they normally never get to do, eat tons of good food, go to tons of kid activities, go on excursions, walk and explore, they stay up late..In turn... they "may" not act like their normal selves on a cruise. Dinner time is at the end of a day., (Im really talking about the under 5 kids). Dinner time is when the kids are beat, expecially if they dont nap. They "may" not be on their best behavior, they "may" be extremely tired and do things to just to keep themselves awake...SO, in turn parents resort to dvd players, hand held games or whatever. If that makes for a quiet dinner on a cruise, then so be it. Nobody should judge, and I get sick of hearing "Oh my children know how to act at a dinner table"..

And for those who have those perfect children, good for you...the rest of us do not. The rest of may have those almost perfect ones;) , but do act up from time to time,and sometimes we just may need "something"extra in the dining room to keep them calm and quiet.

LOL -- omg, when I first started reading this, I didn't notice who had posted and thought it was serious... and I was so ready to write a scathing response... LOL.

You are right, though. I have seen something very close to your words on mainstream boards...

"I don't know what's wrong with parents today. By the time my kids were 6 months old they could sit motionless at any formal dinner table for hours without uttering a word on the slight chance that their mere existance might disturb someone..."

Ha ha ha ha ha I laughed out loud when I read this!!! :p Ain't it the truth!!

Well, I would say that my son is "glued to a video screen" -- as he doesn't really watch tv/movies/computers at home --- and rarely when eating out at home since those meals don't usually run an hour and half or more -- but being TWO, he does tend to get bored during a LONG dinner with a lot of adult conversation that often goes over his head. I would venture that while most adults appreciate long meals over interesting conversation most toddlers aren't as keen. So, frankly, while I don't think you are "nuts" not to use a DVD player, I don't think that I am either. I am simply another mom who has found a reasonable way to entertain a toddler in a situation that is outside the norm for a TWO YEAR OLD.

I think my daughter, based on the posts I see here, watches more tv and video than what other parents here allow, but I don't feel bad about it, since she can spout facts about pretty much every animal in existence, as well as understanding some really cool scientific concepts. Sure, there's the occasional 'Hannah Montana' episode, but for the most part, she's into Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and nature, nature, nature. She also devours books, and spends plenty of time outside, so I'm not worried about overconsumption.

That being said, I really would never have a DVD player or other game at dinner. But she's TEN. My inlaws live in a city about a 2 1/2 hour drive from us, and when she was a baby, there were trips where I had a sore throat and a headache at the end of the drive because I'd been singing the entire time. Then we got a laptop. (happy sigh) This was before the dawn of portable dvds, but we were able to transfer some Barney and Sesame Street videos onto CD and it was like a miracle. Mommy could actually relax on the drive, and it was GOOD. Now we have a newer laptop and she watches dvds in the car - but that's partly because when she tries to read in the back seat she gets car sick. I'm all for family conversation, but between road noise and her having to speak to the back of my head, it doesn't really work that well... and to be honest, I like to sleep on long drives. :) I wish I'd had a dvd/laptop when I was a kid, making double the trip to visit my aunt a few times a year.

So, although I said it would never happen now, I absolutely would have brought a dvd player - or even a big laptop - into a dining room to keep her amused when she was smaller. We have padded headphones with noise reduction that keep the noise in as well as out, and they're comfortable on her ears, and we would have been able to enjoy ourselves. It's all well and good to say that she was exceptionally well behaved in restaurants when she was smaller - which she was - but when we did eat out, it was always a short meal - we'd sit down, order, eat and leave with no dawdling, and the entire time one of us would be 'entertaining' her or at least ready to react at any moment if need be... not to mention being prepared to carry her out or leave early. We also never took her to a formal dining room at that age. We just never expected her to be able to sit through a long formal dinner - especially one with other adults - without getting restless. If only we'd had a portable dvd then!!! It never occurred to me to take the laptop to a restaurant, actually, but if it had, you can bet we would have.

I've said many times on this forum that I consider myself extremely fortunate to have a child with the temperament mine has. She has always been good in public - quiet, cheerful, easy to amuse - even when she was teething she was never fussy. I would absolutely still have used electronic assistance if we had been in a situation like a cruise dinner, however, simply because any toddler is still just a toddler, and their attention span is short, and sometimes parents just want to relax and enjoy other adult company. Especially on a vacation, I just see no need to ever expect a child to behave well and not be frustrated when they're in a situation that isn't enjoyable for them... and after the first hour or so (or sometimes less) of a meal, realistically it's not going to be enjoyable without 'props'.

So, after this loooooooong winded post, the gist of what I'm trying to say is that age and temperament play a big role in whether or not a parent might choose to take advantage of today's technology in a dining room or elsewhere. The most important thing is that everyone is able to enjoy their experience, including not only those at the table, but all of the others around it. :)

As my post stated, our girls have acted up and we've left dinners!!! I don't expect children to behave like little adults! I do believe they can be taught how to behave at a dinner table in different surroundings. My post was not mean, nor did I say no to dvd's. I just believe children are capable of a lot more than people give them credit, like behaving at dinner. By the way, I did not judge anyone. Janice

Okay, I know I'll get slammed for this, but here goes!! First let me say that I would not be bothered by a dvd in the diningroom. This does not mean I agree with it. We travel with our 3 dd's quite often and have since they were months old. Our oldest is going on thirteen and our youngest is now four. They do really well at dinner and look forward to dressing up and behaving like "little" ladies. I understand your desire to have adult conversation and a long dinner, but with children, this is not always possible. We have left(a few dinners) when our girls were younger and started to misbehave, to teach them what is expected. Yes, adult conversation is boring, but why not engage your little boy in your conversation? Dinners have always been important to our family and we enjoy spending this time together. You may be surprised at how well your son will do. Don't forget the wait staff loves children, they look forward to visiting with them, and make them feel special. My only suggestion, try a dinner without the dvd and see how he does. Have a great trip. I'm sure you'll make some great memories. Janice

My son also enjoys dressing up and going to dinner with everyone. He is an active part of the conversation and our family. My son has enough FF miles to take a free trip to Europe. He is an excellent traveler.

I would not be surprised at what my son can handle. We never use the DVD player at home or when we eat out -- with the one exception of a wedding reception that was very long at which he was ring bearer. We eat out at least twice per week. He is normally very engaged and mannered. I have only needed to get up and leave on one occassion -- but that was an exception. He has good table manners and knows what is expected when we dine out. However, dinners on a cruise are different -- they are longer and we have a large group (family) that is all talking and conversing often about things that just aren't interesting for him -- after about an hour my two year old gets bored. Thus the DVD player.

Just as I wouldn't presume to know what your daughters can handle and suggest that you should take a DVD player - I am pretty sure that I know the capabilities of my son better than someone who has never met him.

Thank you, however for your concern. We do plan to have a great trip and love all the memories we make!

(and I don't mean this snarky -- I know words can be hard to judge when written) --

At this point, I haven't needed to bring the DVD player or gameboy into the Dining Room, but I take the position of "Hey, WHATEVER works!" :D

I have been able to keep the meals manageable at one hour. They color. They make straw paper designs. They eat their bread...lol.

If the meal was ANY longer than that (like if we were seated with a group), then I would need some more distractions, no doubt.

Archived