Tired of Formal Night?

e71465

Okay...

So, I have to admit that I HATE dressing up on formal night! I LOVE to cruise but dread those two dreaded evenings where everyone has to "dress formal". Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT interested in going to dinner with my flip flops and shorts on! I love to eat in the dinning room but I don't want to have to eat in the buffet just to get out of formal night. I like the casual dress of the rest of the cruise, just not those two dreaded nights!

What's everyone elses take on this subject? Does anyone else feel that formal night is soon to hopefully be the thing of the past?

Alley

I would suggest that you choose a line without them, or with enough alternative restaurants in which you'd be more comfortable. For some of us, formal night is an unusual treat. I get a little tired of wearing my everyday clothes, but would be a little out-of-place in my formal gown otherwise! I love the old-fashioned bustle of putting on one's very best, enjoying one's resplendent countenance, and admiring the finery of others. Certainly nobody will force you to dress formally, but perhaps another line would suit you more. Otherwise--when in Rome, you know--

I'd say someone is trying to stir up another raucous discussion. The answer to this poster is that there are plenty of cruise lines that do not offer the formal nights that he or she feels are dreaded. Princess is not the cruise line for you, there are better choices, cancel your Crown Princess cruise before you regret it.

I'll wait to say any more until the discussion gets interesting. :rolleyes:

I'd say someone is trying to stir up another raucous discussion. The answer to this poster is that there are plenty of cruise lines that do not offer the formal nights that he or she feels are dreaded. Princess is not the cruise line for you, there are better choices, cancel your Crown Princess cruise before you regret it.

OH... I am not trying to stir anything up? I was just wondering if anyone else felt that the way I do is all? I am not a first time cruiser and I have always cruised with princess. I was just curious how others feel?

I rather enjoy formal nights - most of those following the dress code look so very nice.

That said, I have also enjoyed Oceania Cruise Line's dress code - "country club casual" every night, which does simplify the packing, which is getting more problematic with the new weight restrictions imposed by the airlines.

I do feel badly for the gentlemen when it comes to packing! Most ladies' formal gowns, while they can be voluminous, are fairly light--chiffon and silk and such. Suits and tuxedos can weigh a ton, it seems (especially when putting one's suitcase on the all-knowing airport scale!).

Although its packing more stuff, formal was fun for us. We never go anywhere to dress up and it was really fun, our 2 girls enjoyed it too. Plus we had our formal pics taken. But one nice rather than 2 would be enough as we kind of dress up for the other nights anyway.

Unforunately you have touched a raw nerve with this topic. If you do a search you will see countless threads on all of the Cruise Line boards about dress code violations. While this is not exactly the same question it is closely related.

Formal nights are one of the cruise traditions from the past that have been retained and many people are scared that they will disappear.

As for myself - I rarely dress up in my day to day life and look forward to being part of the vast majority that transform the ship in to a very special place for a few hours twice during the week.

I don't think it's rude to mention that some other lines (NCL for one) don't have formal nights. The spelling criticism is pushing it. It's against the "rules", I'm pretty sure, to criticize spelling.

We love formal nights. I wonder why some cruise line doesn't offer a "non-formal" dining room during formal nights? That way, those who don't want to dress up could have the dining room meal and wear what they want.

As far as male packing is concerned, last Princess cruise, I rented the stuff on-board. It fit well and I looked great (my wife said that, not me).

Okay...

So, I have to admit that I HATE dressing up on formal night! I LOVE to cruise but dread those two dreaded evenings where everyone has to "dress formal". Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT interested in going to dinner with my flip flops and shorts on! I love to eat in the dinning room but I don't want to have to eat in the buffet just to get out of formal night. I like the casual dress of the rest of the cruise, just not those two dreaded nights!

What's everyone elses take on this subject? Does anyone else feel that formal night is soon to hopefully be the thing of the past?

Alley

I also love formal nights. Why don't you try NCL? They have no formal nights.

What was your first clue....6 posts perhaps? :D Enjoy formal nights here, probably because I do not have many of them in my life anymore.

Usually, I don't post but I had the conversation about this subject today and I thought I would ask what others think? It seems odd that some people have to attack others? Why is that? I would in no way want to stir the pot or cause a big fight?

It makes you wonder what these people are like in person? Should we wear body armour to board?

Okay...

Alley

Wouldn't it be nice to have one restaurant available for country club casual attire on formal nights? Sometimes we feel like formal attire and sometimes we don't. It would be nice to have a middle of the road choice.

Okay...

Alley

I am with you on this one (it seems that we are in the minority-not the first time for me, nor do I mind at all).

I despise the idea of getting all dressed up in tux/suit with a tie in some tropical paradise. I, like you, don't mind dressing "casually elegantly" for dinner but do not care for formal nights. Not to mention the different type of packing I have to do just to accommodate formal nights, only to be used once, maybe twice

We have cruised with Oceania several times for this reason (as well as other reasons) and love it.

To answer your second part - I think it is on the way out (however slowly). Two of the latest cruise lines to debut (Oceania & Azamara) do not have formal nights, presumably representing the latest preferences of cruisers.

Archived