Tired of Formal Night?

e71465

By the way, it's "dining", not "dinning". "Dinning" would be pronounced "dinn-ning", not properly as "dye-ning".

Good luck with your formal debacle.

Just so you know, pointing out spelling error or any grammatical errors is a big no-no here!

It's nothing I don't already do for out-of-town weddings and bar mitzvahs. I guess it has more to do with not wanting to get too dressed up on a Caribbean vacation. Before we had kids, we'd take land vacations and go to great restaurants in Grand Case, St Martin. People there dressed nice but not formal because it's the Caribbean and that's the way I feel on a cruise. But I don't mind doing one of them. I may even lug the tux. For the other, it will be Crown Grill or Sabatinis. Of course, my wife very well could talk me into going to both formal nights and it's not worth an argument, especially on vacation. :eek:

I don't know why someone wouldn't like alternative to formal night. You can get buffet or crown grill/sterling or sabatinis. Those seem to be reasonable choices.

Actually the dress code in the Crown Grill/Sterling and Sabatinis is the same as the main dining room. The alternatives are the buffets, pizza, burgers/hot dogs or room service.

Me, I dislike formal nights on a Caribbean cruise which is what we mainly do I don't bother anymore. I'm happy going to the buffet or grabbing pizza so that's what we do. I don't care for the food in the dining room on a whole so unless we eat at one of the alternative dining rooms we just don't bother.

Last cruise we did the Ultimate balcony dinner on one of the formal nights and it was fantastic.

It matters not to me, one way or the other, but we just returned from

Rome, and everyone I saw was wearing designer jeans.

I know, I know, but I own a designer bathing suit, but the adjective still doesn't make it appropriate for the dining room . . .

I love my 7s, but I'd never wear them to a fine-dining establishment; it's just not appropriate. It would be different if the Princess dining rooms were aspiring to a trendy, hip vibe but they're not -- they're very traditional, so I wear "traditional" resort-casual attire and try not to push the envelope too much. Anyway, I figure most people on a cruise don't have the eye to distinguish my $200 7s from that guy's $29 Levis, so what's the point?

We did feel that the bar had been lowered a bit on the "smart casual" attire requirements. We saw several folks in jeans, tee shirts and flip flops in the main dining rooms. That was a first.

And that's another issue - it would be one thing if people would dress in Smart Casual instead of Dumb Casual - ball caps and t-shirts do not Smart Casual make.

Just because some of us prefer not to participate in formal night, doesn't mean we are lower class? Everyone has likes and dislikes and just because someone doesn't think the way you do, it doesn't mean they don't have the right to their opinion?

Oh and by the way, I am Platinum on Princess and I don't want to cruise another cruise line as I enjoy it very much.

Not participating in formal night has nothing to do with class - purposefully ignoring the formal dress guidelines does.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but that doesn't mean that it can't be challenged and questioned - some opinions are bad.

If you enjoy the Princess product very much, part of the reason is because a formal night is offered - and that in part shapes the overall tone and ambience of the cruise. For a line that is reaching for the mass market, dumbing down the experience does not help to retain the standard.

Just so you know, pointing out spelling error or any grammatical errors is a big no-no here!

I'm terribly sorry. I'll try to edit my post, but I fear the time for that has come and gone. In the future, I'll grin and bear it.

Well no one has mentioned the option of eating so much at lunch that you aren't hungry at dinner time. You could be in a food coma and miss the whole thing.

There's no reason to not go on a cruise because of formal night. It won't kill anyone to eat at the buffet for a meal. At least if everyone uses those hand cleaner things they have at the entrance.

That's what great about cruising. If you don't want to do something you don't have to. Everyone just needs to have good manners and treat others like they would want to be treated.

My wife and I have come to enjoy the formal nights to the point of buying my own tux. Its extremely romantic to eat a great meal, have drinks afterward and what fun to help my wife get out of her tight dress in the stateroom.

Okay...

So, I have to admit that I HATE dressing up on formal night! I LOVE to cruise but dread those two dreaded evenings where everyone has to "dress formal". Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT interested in going to dinner with my flip flops and shorts on! I love to eat in the dinning room but I don't want to have to eat in the buffet just to get out of formal night. I like the casual dress of the rest of the cruise, just not those two dreaded nights!

What's everyone elses take on this subject? Does anyone else feel that formal night is soon to hopefully be the thing of the past?

Alley

I hate formal night too, and so does my husband. We feel the same as you do -- we aren't slobs and we dress nicely, but we aren't formal clothing people.

Actually the dress code in the Crown Grill/Sterling and Sabatinis is the same as the main dining room. The alternatives are the buffets, pizza, burgers/hot dogs or room service.

I read on another thread that this is no longer the case. I will call Princess before I leave just to confirm. I see someone also mentioned on this thread that most were casual (but dressed nicely) in Crown Grill on formal night.

As I said numerous times before, a man wearing a tux for dinner usually has way more fun after... :D:D

That statement, I completely agree with ;)

Ok Guys! This is the Princess board, we don't rip each other's throats out and call each other names like they do on other boards regarding dress codes. No one wants to flaunt the dress code, a simple question was asked, are we tired of dressing for formal night? Let's show the other boards that we can have a discussion about this like adults and not have it pulled.

And that's another issue - it would be one thing if people would dress in Smart Casual instead of Dumb Casual - ball caps and t-shirts do not Smart Casual make.

Not participating in formal night has nothing to do with class - purposefully ignoring the formal dress guidelines does.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but that doesn't mean that it can't be challenged and questioned - some opinions are bad.

If you enjoy the Princess product very much, part of the reason is because a formal night is offered - and that in part shapes the overall tone and ambience of the cruise. For a line that is reaching for the mass market, dumbing down the experience does not help to retain the standard.

F.Y.I.

I have never ignored or violated the dress code rules! I do not agree with people who show up on formal night in flip flops and shorts! Quit reading between the lines and adding things that were not typed in the original post! I DID NOT say that I violated dress code rules!

There are very few formal nights on a ship. I love all the different sides of Princess including the very few formal nights

Let me ask another question.

Why do some of you seem to object to persons dressing up for formal nights?

You insinuate that we are snobs ? Is it because we look down our noses when you walk into the dining room in your jeans on formal night;) :D

Archived