Cosol Tour in St. Lucia

smitty1711

Holdom,

The vans are quite nice that Cosol uses-they seat 12 folks and I think they were Mercedes. Yes, the roads are hilly, but I tend to not like mountain roads and these didn't bother me. He stops freqently for photo stops or sightseeing, so no long stretches in the van. We really had a great time on our Cosol tour!

Everyone seems to love Cosol tours. I think we will use them but can someone tell me are they vans or buses?? Is there a caravan of vans that travel together?? I also have heard mention of winding roads and someone feeling ill because of them. I am not the greatrest "car" travler. Are there lots of stops so i don't get the queezies??

TY

Ty,

We thoroughly enjoyed the Cosol Tour. As stated, everywhere on the island is rather hilly, but it was an enjoyable ride and we were not uncomfortable at all. There was so much to look at, and frequently we stopped and got out at scenic overlook areas, or to look around at a vendor's stand and other places. Below my signature is smugmug, click on that and go to St. Lucia. There are a number of pictures there from our tour, on page five you will see a picture of the van that we were in. There was only the one van on our tour, not several others. I can't give this tour any higher marks, it was more than I had expected it to be.

Randy

This is far too high.....

Based on what?

We got to go to the Banana Plantation, volcano, waterfall, Pitons, snorkeling at Jalousie Beach b/w the Pitons, unlimited drinks (alcohol and non-alcoholic) and they fed us twice with local foods.

I highly disagree.

Everyone seems to love Cosol tours. I think we will use them but can someone tell me are they vans or buses?? Is there a caravan of vans that travel together?? I also have heard mention of winding roads and someone feeling ill because of them. I am not the greatrest "car" travler. Are there lots of stops so i don't get the queezies??

TY

Vans...although it's not a caravan of vans. The vans just meet at the next stop. There was one person in our van who was feeling a little queezy from the ride but took some Dramamine and they were fine. Just take some before you go and you should be alright...plus like everyone else has said there are plenty of stops along the way.

MY EYES, MY EYES. :eek: I swear Randys list is NOT appearing on the posts i am reading????

TY,

I think was is happening is that you have your signatures turned off. If you would like to see those things try doing this.

Up above, go to the left and click on user cp

Then on the left side click on "edit options"

Go to the right to "thread display options"

check the "show signatures" box

This will enable you to see those things that I mentioned below a posters signature.

Randy

Thanks Randy...you sold me...but if i get sick. WELL, i'll just carry a bag.

Whats your take on Barbados for turtle swiming? Is that the best place to do it??

How about something to do on Antigua?? Was there in 03, went to some cove type beach, not so great.

Dominica, maybe the champagne reef.

Any thoughts??

Thanks Again...

Hi all,

I just got back from a trip Feb 1-8, and Cosol's tour was by far one of the best excursions I've ever done on any cruise. We lucked out to have Cosol's brother Hilary "Yellow Bird" as our driver, and he was absolutely wonderful. The roads through the island were a little twisty, but nothing I think would cause car-sickness unless you're very sensitive. There were lots of stops throughout the day, and I really appreciate their efforts to have us try the local fare at small stands along the way. We took a water taxi to Jalouise Beach, which was certainly a great part of the trip and a beautiful ride. Our group thought those who chose not to take the taxi to the beach certainly missed out on a great adventure. One hour at this beach was sufficient. The entire tour lasted just over 7 hours, and worth far more than the price they charged. I'm in love with St Lucia and can't wait to go back to see more!

Thanks Randy...you sold me...but if i get sick. WELL, i'll just carry a bag.

Whats your take on Barbados for turtle swiming? Is that the best place to do it??

How about something to do on Antigua?? Was there in 03, went to some cove type beach, not so great.

Dominica, maybe the champagne reef.

Any thoughts??

Thanks Again...

TY,

Nobody on our tour (OK, there were only 6 of us) felt sick, or even mentioned anything like that. We just had so much fun and all enjoyed the experience so much that we never even thought of anything such as that. You will be fine.....take pictures, it's beautiful there.

When in Barbados you can see the pictures where we went on the glass bottom/hydrofoil boat. One of the places that we stopped was in the area that the turtles are often seen. There were also some snorkel tours there so you could check them out and see if there is an excursion that specializes in the snorkeling/turtle tours.

In Antigua we took the tour to Nelson's dockyards, those pics are there also. Previously (Feb. 2007) we were there (look in smugmug down near the bottom and find the Jewel (Mustard of the Seas) and scroll through to page 8. We went on the Adventure Tours (Eco Tour). This included a nature tour by boat and some snorkeling as well, these pictures show the highlights of that tour.

There is a lot there for you to have to look through, good luck on your search.

Randy

OK, let's try it this way

http://ran-kat.smugmug.com/

Randy[/quote

Thanks for posting Randy. I'm really enjoying these pics!!!!

Thanks, we had great fun and glad that we were able to capture all of the highlights. Sometimes when I start looking back through them I begin to relive those many moments......whew, time is sure fleeting.:eek:

I am always glad to say that we "did those things", rather than "I wish we would have done those things when we could have".

Randy

Based on what?

We got to go to the Banana Plantation, volcano, waterfall, Pitons, snorkeling at Jalousie Beach b/w the Pitons, unlimited drinks (alcohol and non-alcoholic) and they fed us twice with local foods.

I highly disagree.

agreed.

how anyone can think $65 is too much for an all day tour that feeds you twice with somewhat unlimited drinks and numerous sighseeing stops is borderline crazy!

heck, i spent nearly $50pp just in cab/ferry fees to get to St. John from St. Thomas.

agreed.

how anyone can think $65 is too much for an all day tour that feeds you twice with somewhat unlimited drinks and numerous sighseeing stops is borderline crazy!

heck, i spent nearly $50pp just in cab/ferry fees to get to St. John from St. Thomas.

Yes, if the tour lasts for 7 hours, I suppose that price is justifiable especially with the food and drink. Our ship was leaving at 2:30 p.m. so we didn't want to go on a tour that was all day long. 7 hours is a long time on a tour though. Yes, St. Lucia is beautiful. Here is one of my pics for which our guide stopped his car to allow us to capture the beauty.

348.jpg

We just finished a 7 day tour on the Serenade of the Seas and used Cosol in St Lucia. He was the best! He is an independent tour not booked through the ship. See the other postings for his web site. We had a great driver for our small van and great company in the van. The breakfast stop had wonderful food Cosol had prepared as well as drinks all day. The swimming at the Piton resort was not to be missed. Cosol is organized, bang for the buck, and has great drivers (you need them in St. Lucia) who know their history, and you have a great time.

Artlady. I am concerend about getting car sick. I have read many posts on people not feeling well on this tour. Can you tell me aprox. how long was the longest stint you had in the van?? Time wise. I know there are many stops but it must be lots of driving that people are reportsing not feeling well. I would hate to get sick while out for a day with a van full of strangers.

ALSO, how far is Jalousie Beach from the port area?? I am wondering if there is a way for us to maybe just go there?? Any help would HELP!!!

Artlady. I am concerend about getting car sick. I have read many posts on people not feeling well on this tour. Can you tell me aprox. how long was the longest stint you had in the van?? Time wise. I know there are many stops but it must be lots of driving that people are reportsing not feeling well. I would hate to get sick while out for a day with a van full of strangers.

ALSO, how far is Jalousie Beach from the port area?? I am wondering if there is a way for us to maybe just go there?? Any help would HELP!!!

We took the Cosol tour in January and loved it. The way I avoided any car sickness was to sit up front with the driver. I don't know the exact distance but unlike some other Caribbean islands, St. Lucia is quite mountainous and there are no highways to speak of that connect locations. The best bet would be a taxi from the port and arrange a round trip with the driver where you would pay upon the return. There was an entire spread on St. Lucia in last Sunday's NY times travel section about all of the new high-end hotels going up, including the $100 million renovation taking place at Jalousie Beach.

'St. Lucia does not have the same wide miles of soft white beaches as some of the other Caribbean islands or Mexico. Its switchback roads can make the simple act of going out to dinner, much less exploring town to town, feel like an adventure. Closer to South America than to Miami in the Caribbean chain, its waters are warm but dark, not the amiable aqua of other islands. Its appeal is instead in its height and its depth: the stunning Pitons, rising out of the sea like giant incisors; the rain forest and volcano at the island’s center; the craggy cliffs, and the snug, palm-fringed coves whose deep waters made the island such contested territory between the French and the British for 300 years.'

In Antigua, either arrange with cab driver and another couple or two to take tour to English harbor and Fig tree drive, very scenic. But if you are at least of middle age and are very well behaved go to the Blue Waters Hotel,very small, very British hotel with nice beach and good food and drinks. Tell them you are planning on coming to Antigua on vacation to stay and checking out the hotel based on recommendation of someone who stayed there. (I stayed there in 1984 before they got so fancy; it was wonderful)

The island is very hilly. If you tend to carsickness, just take a Bonine (or get generic for free from the ship's "front desk":) that morning. Cosol's tour was amazing and a real bargain for all you get to eat and enjoy!

p.s. don't take dramamine - it'll make you sleepy.

Mish, i use to take Bonine when traveling. I assume your saying Bonine has different ingredients then Dramamine??? Last cruise i think i went to Walmart and bought the generic of it over the counter in the pharmacy, much, much cheaper if i remember correctly.

Archived