Has Maasdam Been Saved?

sail7seas

I see Maasdam is now scheduled to visit St. Croix, USVI in Jan. 2009. Could this be the first HAL visit in many years? I know St. Croix completely fell out of favor for cruise ships some time ago.

The HAL Destination calendar hasn't been updated yet, so I will be interested to see if Maasdam's drydock is being reschedule for a slightly different time, or what. It has already been changed once (from 2 weeks to 4 weeks) and maybe with the expansion of plans the yard needed more time to prepair or have suppliers build new things.

I really don't know what is going on; only time will tell, I guess.

Thread title:

Has Maasdam Been Saved?

Only if it has accepted Jeesus, come forward and been baptized in the river.

Oh, that's not what you mean?

John: I'm doing a b2b, NE/C, starting Aug 30, when s7s gets off. I will not be doing a "Live From" this cruise or, if I change my mind, it will be much shorter than the others and not on a daily basis.

I'm still GUAR, but hoping for Cat BR, ER or LB. (Boiler Room, Engine Room or Life Boat.) I hear they are very cheap.

Sail, if you happen to log onto CC during your long-awaited Maasdam cruise, I want to wish you and your husband a happy voyage on "your" ship. Don't worry about posting while you're aboard. Just enjoy seeing all your friends again, as they'll be so glad to see you both back aboard. Good thoughts are headed your way, all the way from the Pacific NW.

Linda

I am anxiously awaiting word from those taking Maasdam cruises for more information regarding her fate. I am deeply concerned that HAL keeps adding Vista Class ships (yes, I consider Eurodam a Vista) following the indutry trend to monster sized ships.

If HAL abandons the S and eventually R class I think my future will be with Princess on their Explorer Class (the old Renaissance R ships) and Azamara. Currently it appears as though CCL is positioning HAL and Princess for the same market segment. I would love to see Carnival (CCL) position HAL as a premium line a step above Princess. Turn HAL into a premium mass market line with smaller R & S Class ships and prices 10-20% higher than Princess giving customers an intermediate step between mass market and luxury lines such as Seabourn and Silver Sea.

I am anxiously awaiting word from those taking Maasdam cruises for more information regarding her fate. I am deeply concerned that HAL keeps adding Vista Class ships (yes, I consider Eurodam a Vista) following the indutry trend to monster sized ships.

If HAL abandons the S and eventually R class I think my future will be with Princess on their Explorer Class (the old Renaissance R ships) and Azamara. Currently it appears as though CCL is positioning HAL and Princess for the same market segment. I would love to see Carnival (CCL) position HAL as a premium line a step above Princess. Turn HAL into a premium mass market line with smaller R & S Class ships and prices 10-20% higher than Princess giving customers an intermediate step between mass market and luxury lines such as Seabourn and Silver Sea.

Agree with you completely. As to future cruiselines we might have to look at if HAL abandons the S and R class, I would Oceania to my list.

Hi

When we embarked on August 9th (Canada/NE), we were talking to a lady who was on board for an hour (for an "introduction" or what-not.) She said she'd be working on Maasdam in April re-doing the upholstery, when Maasdam will be in dry-dock for that month.

Don't know if that will change, but hope this helps.

Happy sailing :>)

Hi

When we embarked on August 9th (Canada/NE), we were talking to a lady who was on board for an hour (for an "introduction" or what-not.) She said she'd be working on Maasdam in April re-doing the upholstery, when Maasdam will be in dry-dock for that month.

Maasdam is scheduled for her dry dock in January 2009!!

Hi

This lady needs to keep checking with HAL!!

When I sailed Maasdam Canada/New England the theater was always overcrowded. Adding more cabins will make this bad situation worse.

I think the itinerary is one of the best. I'm glad you get to do another b2b.

TomC, I'll miss your live from reports, but I'm glad you will have the time to relax and enjoy.

I just got off Ryndam, where one of the high-ranking officers mentioned briefly that her refurbishment date was postponed from 2009 to 2010. I don't know if the same will apply to Maasdam.

Add me to the list of S-class fans who do not want to see this area altered.

• 2 weeks later...

Maasdam will have a one week dry dock in January. The lengthy one has been postponed with no new date yet announced. Veendam appears to be the first "S" to get the new 'upgrades'.

On the one hand, I'm delighted we shall keep our beloved Maasdam unscathed by the beancounters wanting to add more cabins, take our aft Navigation Deck pool and mess with it. We are thrilled the public spaces wilol accomodate the same number of guests for which they were designed.

On the other hand, common sense would say to us she probably is due for mechanical type work and, hopefully, that can be done during her one week dry dock.

Cabin freshening and redecorating (particularly suites I heard rumored) might be done but Explorations Cafe will remain as is, THANKFULLY. We think it fabulous on Maasdam (and Noordam).

Stayed tuned. More to be announced,,,,,,most likely.

Archived