I Finally Did It! :)

Texas Munchkin

I've been lurking for about a month just checking things out. Today I booked my first cruise. I'm sailing on the Ecstasy 04/27/09.

I'm going to drive you guys crazy between now and then with questions. :D

Congratulations. Enjoy the planning!!

Thanks you guys!

I am going with my aunt and her daughter. My aunt is 66 (don't tell her I told you). I will be turning 50 a couple of weeks prior to sailing. Her daughter is 26. It's going be the first cruise for all of us. It will be interesting to see the different takes on things from the different age groups.

It's going to be so fun. I have a 19 year old daughter but I couldn't convince her to go. She keeps mentioning Titantic ... lol. I tried to tell her there are no icebergs in the Caribbean. :rolleyes:

For a first time cruise you can't beat the Ecstasy. It is a fun ship with a professional crew and very good food. Whether you booked a four or five day cruise you'll enjoy each day and the closer you get to Galveston on the way back the more you wish this cruise would just keep on going. All of the cabins are comfortable but for me I need a window, or even better a balcony. On the Ecstasy the only balconies are in suites and if you want a real treat splurge and book one (Just avoid the ones with obstructed views.) My only advice is after you have packed go back and take out half, you won't need it. I always pack a jacket as I enjoy the Captain's night and the more formal dress. Other than that all you need is shorts, tees, and flip-flops. Remember the folks won't remember from day to day what you wear so don't sweat it.

A word about Progresso, unless you just love planned trips think about taking the local bus to Merida and avoid the $40 "city tour" which is little more than a local bus, except it costs a lot more. The port stops are always interesting but I am usually wanting to get back on board. Relax, enjoy the anticipation and when the day to embark arrives HAVE A BALL.

Let the addiction begin!;)

I went on my first cruise expecting it to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience and now I've got my 3rd one booked. When I get back from my next cruise, I'll be looking at booking my fourth. Oh wait, I've already been shopping.:D

Soak in all the advice, read the newby boards (First time cruisers) and read the port boards too for a wealth of info there too. Lots of ideas and packing lists too. Don't forget things such as multi-outlet plug since there is usually only one plug in a cabin. Lots of people will tell you the "must have's" but I know I had a full suitcase full of all the must-haves and didn't use much of it. So be cautious when packing. Cabins usually have a lot of storage space so you don't need the "over the door" shoe holders for organizing stuff - that is just wasted suitcase space in my opinion. You'll get a ton of info here. And if you haven't learned already, get a thick skin cuz some people will pick on you for asking questions "where's the popcorn etc" but most of us are more than willing to tell you what we know. Good luck.

I have a 19 year old daughter but I couldn't convince her to go. She keeps mentioning Titantic ... lol. I tried to tell her there are no icebergs in the Caribbean. :rolleyes: [/color][/size][/font]

If that doesn't work, you might try telling her that Leonardo DiCaprio will be onboard.. That might change her mind! ;)

Enjoy your first cruise --- you will be hooked. We are waiting for our 6 cruise. Don't laugh about celebs being on ships, when we were on the QM2 in May Rod Stewart was on board. Now we did not see him due to the fact that he was in the penthouse. But that was the talk of the ship.

Enjoy your first cruise.

I've been lurking for about a month just checking things out. Today I booked my first cruise. I'm sailing on the Ecstasy 04/27/09.

I'm going to drive you guys crazy between now and then with questions. :D

Some people never learn. I assume you may have done a litlle reading about Cruising and might have gathered that cruising is like Potato chips " You Can't have One "

Enjoy Time to start saving for your next Cruise

Congrats on your booking! April will be here in no time too ;)

I sailed on the Ecstacy in July as part of a 50th wedding anniversary celebration. The youngest in the group of 48 was 7 months and the oldest was 77. For most it was their first cruise and everyone had a great time!

Have a great cruise and ask all the questions you want :D

I was also 50 before I took my first cruise and my only regret was "WHY IN THE HECK DID I WAIT SO LONG?????" Now my biggest problem is trying to figure out how I can pay for two a year....

Congrats....there's nothing like that first cruise!! Enjoy you're planning!!!

Happy Sailing

Congratulations!

Having done 2 3 generation cruises now (me (24), my mom and my grandma), I can tell you that it really is a great way to spend time together. And you meet people depending on where you hang out. You see the same people often and everybody has somebody to talk to because everyone is happy to be on vacation and make friends.

Ask away! There's no question too small or too large and we're all willing to answer :) If your daughter (or daughters if you can convince your 19 year old about the icebergs:D ), have any questions, I may be able to answer from the 20's perspective.

Wow. Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. I'm one of those OCD type planners. Have to research everything.. LOL. :eek: :p This is a great board, lots of good information and great ideas.

And thanks to Yukon for watching out for the newbie. I've been on message boards and in chat rooms for years, so I know how it can be. One of the boards I frequent even has the popcorn eating smilie. I think I can handle it. ** insert rolling on the floor smilie **

Being from Texas, I know what "Bless your heart" really means and when to use it. ;)

Archived