Sydney, Nova Scotia

luvnorway has a great idea. Does anyone know how far it is from the Bus Terminal in Sydney to the pier, and how far it is from the Bus Terminal in Glace bay to the Mining Museum?

I mentioned this tour on our Roll Call thread.....definitely want to do it. No idea how far everything is.....maybe we can all go together.....see you on board to discuss further.

M.

:)

We rented through Budget. They will pick you up and drop you off at the cruise pier and they are about a 5 minute drive to the office. Their prices are very reasonable. We are going to see the "Fort", but going the scenic way as we have been told it is truly a beautiful drive.

If you are a Costco Wholesale member, be sure to tell Budget - much cheaper rate and no mileage charge if you are an executive member:)

• 1 month later...
Thank you Leslie - you rattled her and she emailed me - will post the outcome

greatly appreciate your help - we did have a fabulous trip - and your pointers/suggestions were awesome - don't foget us when you stop by the Pacific Northwest ;) will have the wine chilled and waiting

thanks again

Patrice

Just an update it is Oct 27 and there has still been no refund from Diane Dover for the tour that was never taken due to a Hurricane

will provide an update if anything further develops

Patrice

• 2 weeks later...

Patrice, thanks for the caveat on Tartan Tours. I have only taken Alaskan cruises and am so used to the good will of AK tour operators that an experience like this would be quite a shock. On our last end-of-season cruise, Orca Enterprises only had 4 pax signed up for a 30-pax whale watch, but didn't cancel. And Skagway Float Tours had just the two of us for a 6-pax float, but we still went.

I hope Diane wakes up and smells the coffee.

• 1 month later...

I would not recommend Diane Dover's private tour. Our ship did not stop in this port due to weather on Oct 19 and I requested my deposit be returned as soon as we returned on Oct 25. (Her refund policy stated that the deposit would be refunded if port missed due to weather) . That has not happened even though I have contacted her by email and multiple phone conversations. Again, she has not be cooperative and required over $200 deposit that HAS NOT been refunded.

I would not recommend Diane Dover's private tour. Our ship did not stop in this port due to weather on Oct 19 and I requested my deposit be returned as soon as we returned on Oct 25. (Her refund policy stated that the deposit would be refunded if port missed due to weather) . That has not happened even though I have contacted her by email and multiple phone conversations. Again, she has not be cooperative and required over $200 deposit that HAS NOT been refunded.

Our ship was at Sydney the week after you. I, also, was concerned because we had a tour reserved with Diane/Tartan Tours and Patrice had already e-mailed me with her story. Our ship did make the port and we had a good tour with Diane but I will no longer refer other cruisers to her because of what she did to you and Patrice. No telling how many others have lost money to her. This is not ethical and we would have cancelled our tour except that we would have lost our deposit up front and then had to pay for another tour. So, we took our chances. She gives a great tour but her practice of not refunding the deposit when the ship doesn't make the port is not right.

Nope....Diane Dover doesn't answer my emails or phone calls any longer. She did answer once, and when I told her who I was, she said I had the wrong number. Not the case because it was programmed in my phone and the same number I had previously reached her. We have used private guides all over Europe.....never been asked for a deposit, much less, an international money order.....never had this happen before. So disappointed....she is the one that stated her own cancellation policy and has not lived up to her word. Doesn't get much worse than that.

I am going in Oct. What is the scenic route?

We rented a car in Sydney from Budget. They picked us up at the ship. The final bill was $63.83US including taxes. We drove up the coast along the Cabot Trail to Neil's Harbor and returned. It was very beautiful. We really enjoyed renting a car and driving at our own pace. See the pics in the Sydney folder at:

http://mbmerritt.zenfolio.com/ne_canada_cruise

• 2 weeks later...
We rented a car in Sydney from Budget. They picked us up at the ship. The final bill was $63.83US including taxes. We drove up the coast along the Cabot Trail to Neil's Harbor and returned. It was very beautiful. We really enjoyed renting a car and driving at our own pace. See the pics in the Sydney folder at:

http://mbmerritt.zenfolio.com/ne_canada_cruise

Very nico photos... Thanks for providing the link. We will be in Sydney on Sept. 16th. When were you there? I see the leaves have begun to change colour.

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

I would not recommend Diane Dover's private tour either. Our ship did not dock in Sydney on Oct 19, 2009 due to weather and her cancellation policy stated that she will refund our deposit less a small admin fee.

AnnieY, were we on the same ship, Crown Princess? Did Diane double book tours with both of us on Oct 19th? Diane told me that she will be our driver/guide.

I emailed Diane on Oct 19th from the ship telling her that our ship was not docking and would she please refund the $100 deposit to me. She replied to my emails saying that there was some mix up with the post office on her refund cheque (mailed Oct 30) and that I will get my replacement cheque before Christmas. I NEVER got the refund and she is not replying to my multiple emails any more. Bad business practice.

Sorry ...I didn't check this board nor posted earlier because Diane was still replying to my emails up until Dec 10, 2009. I was still hopeful of getting a refund from her.

Here are two of the emails I received from Diane (I received 4 in total since my original complaint):

On Nov 12/2009

No I havent been avoiding you. Your refund was sent on Oct 30 thru regular canada post, please give it another few days as you know as well as i do the postal service isn the best here. If it hasnt arrived by november 16 i will have canada post reissue the money order is this acceptable to you?

Thanks again

Diane

Two more emails received from Diane on Nov 25 and Dec 3 about checking with Canada Post and sending a replacement cheque.

Last email received was dated Dec 10/09

Have great news for you they (cANADA Post) will reissue it tommorow and i'll mail it right there and then should have it before xmas. Thank you for being so patient.

Diane

Verga

• 1 year later...

There is a very quirky 9 hole golf course about 5 minutes from downtown Sydney if you're looking for a quick round. We golfed there and it was surprisingly nice, and challenging. Its called Juniper Hollow and we just stopped in the taxi and rented clubs. Was about $17 a person with the clubs for 9. They did have a motorized golf cart for rent but we walked.

Its actually on the way to Louisbourg (sorry on spelling) and we stopped on the way back when we saw the sign.

Sydney is not that bad but it's definitely worth getting out to see the coastline.

This has been very excellent information to look through-sounds like Diane Dover of Tartan tours has done this to several people. Our group will NOT be using her for our tour this year.

• 10 months later...
One of the most interesting tours we have ever done was at the Miners’ Museum in Glace Bay, Cape Breton. http://www.minersmuseum.com/

I had read excellent recommendations for this in this forum and they were right. Our guide was a retired, 3rd generation miner. He led us down into the coal mine and his presentation both entertained and informed us. I could have listened to his stories and experiences for hours. He really made the hardships experienced by the miners come alive.

We went there on the local bus from Sydney for $3pp.

http://www.cbrm.ns.ca/portal/community/transit/default.asp

The admission to the museum, including the underground tour, was about $10pp. In contrast, the HAL shorex is $79pp. Unbelievably, we even met passengers who had paid much more than that for a local ‘guide’ who just drove them there and waited while they took the same tour as us.

Bottom line - if you want to go, either rent a car (and spend some time at Louisbourg as well), or just take the local bus to Glace Bay.

This link is broken, but I believe I found the same bus route that luvnorway mentioned here: http://www.cbrm.ns.ca/route-1.html , and here's a timetable for this route:

http://www.cbrm.ns.ca/images/stories/Transit/Route%201-1.pdf

Unfortuanately, if we end up choosing to tour the mine, I think we still might have to do the ship's excursion or hire a car - there's a bit of a walk to get to the bus pick up point, and about a 20 minute walk from where the bus drops you off in Glace Bay to the museum. We're travelling with a 5 year old (and no stroller) and my mom (in her late 60s, with some difficulty walking long distances), so I think it might be too much to attempt on our own on foot. It will hurt to spend so much more, knowing how easily we could do it if DH and I were alone... but we're not doing it alone.

For those of you who want details:

Iin Sydney the cruise ship will make port at 60 Esplanade, Sydney, NS Canada
 B1P 1A1. The Route 1 bus can be caught at Wentworth St. and Charlotte St. ~11 minute walk.

In Glace Bay the bus stops at Main St. & Union St, and the museum is located at Museum St. & Birkley St. ~20 minute walk

Unless I'm interpreting this wrong? Are taxis in Glace Bay plentiful and easily hailed? I'm guessing not. If anyone else has any public trans experience on this route I'd love to hear from you!

• 1 month later...

I was on the Massdam from Montreal to Boston and was in Sydney on June 27, 2012. In Tom's Port Guides he mentioned Don Blackwood of Blackwood Tours. I contacted and worked out all details of our tour via email at donblackwood@seascape.ns.ca. He was an excellent tour guide. As former director of Sydney Tourism for 20 years, he was very knowledgable. He was willing to stop anytime we asked. He took us to Highland Village, had lunch at the Bell Buoy Restuarant and then stopped at the Gaelic College. We were greeted by a bagpiper and they had a wonderful gift shop. He also drove us around the town of Sydney. Don's van was clean and smoke free. He charged us $80 per person. We were with him for 5+ hours. Highly recommend him. You won't be disappointed, because you can make your tour what you want.

I was on the Massdam from Montreal to Boston and was in Sydney on June 27, 2012. In Tom's Port Guides he mentioned Don Blackwood of Blackwood Tours. I contacted and worked out all details of our tour via email at donblackwood@seascape.ns.ca. He was an excellent tour guide. As former director of Sydney Tourism for 20 years, he was very knowledgable. He was willing to stop anytime we asked. He took us to Highland Village, had lunch at the Bell Buoy Restuarant and then stopped at the Gaelic College. We were greeted by a bagpiper and they had a wonderful gift shop. He also drove us around the town of Sydney. Don's van was clean and smoke free. He charged us $80 per person. We were with him for 5+ hours. Highly recommend him. You won't be disappointed, because you can make your tour what you want.

Glad to see your post! We are using Don through Blue Diamond Tours in early September. Planning on doing the Cabot Trail for 6-6.5hrs. Any specific areas we should ask to see. Were you able to see any wild animals on your tour. The scenery looks amazing from prictures I have seen.

Dave

• 2 months later...
Glad to see your post! We are using Don through Blue Diamond Tours in early September. Planning on doing the Cabot Trail for 6-6.5hrs. Any specific areas we should ask to see. Were you able to see any wild animals on your tour. The scenery looks amazing from prictures I have seen.

Dave

can you tell me what he charged for this tour and what vechile he used, i am looking for the same tour in oct any info would be nice. we have a group of 5 and were looking for a mini van is this possiale with him.... thanks again

Archived