What's in HAL's libraries?

Spaniard

I love to lay around deck and read. Couple questions about HAL's libraries:

1) Do they tend to try and stock any fiction that is of particular interest to cruisers( for instance, "Skinny Dip", the one about the woman whose husband threw her off a cruise ship)?

2) Is there a fee to borrow materials?

3) I always wondered if they allowed DVDs of cruise disaster movies like Poseiden and Titanic aboard. It seems silly to ban them from the library, but then again, you get all kinds of jittery passengers and watching stuff like that wouldn't help.

...no fee to borrow...just remember to return what you check out. there is normally some travel stuff but also lots of fiction and non fiction. they also have games and probably dvds but I have never looked into those. my wife brings trashy novels and leaves them behind in the library when she is done with them. noted other people doing that too. so if you need something to read on the flight home check out the library for these too

To me, HAL has the best libraries at sea. The stock quite a variety, from recent bestsellers to classics, and books related to sailing and the destination you're sailing to, for instance, Alaska.

On my last cruise, you went to the front desk, not the library, to check out DVDs.

There's no charge, but they put an amount on hold on your shipboard acct. in the event you don't return the book or DVD. Hope this helps.

Roz

3) I always wondered if they allowed DVDs of cruise disaster movies like Poseiden and Titanic aboard. It seems silly to ban them from the library, but then again, you get all kinds of jittery passengers and watching stuff like that wouldn't help.

I've seen Titanic and Poseidon being broadcasted on the HAL movie channels (didn't watch, just noticed that they were).

One of my favorite cruising pass time is sitting on my balcony deeply engrossed in a big, juicy book!!:D

I prefer to spend time trying to find those flying fishies. After about 3 glasses of wine, it's surprising how they just appear. :D

I love the library on HAL. They offer a nice selection of books and a pretty deep assortment of DVDs. There is a loose leaf binder on one of the tables that lists their DVD collection. There is a nominal charge to rent a DVD unless you are a suite passenger, in which case DVD rentals are complimentary.

I prefer to spend time trying to find those flying fishies. After about 3 glasses of wine, it's surprising how they just appear. :D

LOL Chuck!:D

Had that experience in Cabo on the 'O', thank goodness it turned out to be flying stingrays and not the margaritas!:D :D (It was 9AM!:rolleyes: )

I wasn't impressed with the library on the E'dam. It is much smaller than what we've seen on the R & S class ships. Hopefully, more books will be added to the (limited) shelving and also get arranged properly. When we sailed on her the shelf labels had NO resemblance to the type of books found below.

Also, someone at HAL needs to realize that the plural of DVD does NOT have an apostrophe. All the DVD shelves are labeled "DVD's" :rolleyes:

I love the Hal libraries where I always find interesting books, some rather old. On the Noordam, there is a wonderful selection of biographies. Even though I always bring at least two books of my own, I check out interesting library books to read as well. We'll be back on the Noordam this fall. Can't wait for relaxing sea days to enjoy a good read....The HAL libraries are a delight.

on Westerdam and I expect all the ships to be about the same. Plus you can get the daily puzzels, access the NY Times web site and have a cup of coffee or a drink. What a difference as we sailed on a Carnival ship a few months earlier and they had about 10 paperbacks (mostly left by cruisers). I guess the typical Carnival guest can't read but only eat and climb walls.

When I first saw this thread I was tempted to respond with "books", but someone beat me to a response. I am thinking of canceling my RCCL Alaska Sept 2009 cruise and replace it with my first HAL for the same area/time. Glad HAL has decent libraries. RCCL is like going through a garage sale for books. A lot of romance novels.

It is so wonderful to find a thread of readers like myself!! I am bringing two nice size books with me for my 7 day to Alaska. Bear in mind that we are flying from NY to Seattle and arriving the night before the cruise. What are the odds that I will finish that book before we even embark? Very good odds that I will. I will save the second book for sitting around the pool and reading before bed.

Now I'm afraid that I will run out of books.

What happens if we borrow a book and don't finish it by the time we are leaving?

If I was leaving from NY I'd love to donate all of my recently read books as they are in great shape.

It is so wonderful to find a thread of readers like myself!! I am bringing two nice size books with me for my 7 day to Alaska. Bear in mind that we are flying from NY to Seattle and arriving the night before the cruise. What are the odds that I will finish that book before we even embark? Very good odds that I will. I will save the second book for sitting around the pool and reading before bed.

Now I'm afraid that I will run out of books.

What happens if we borrow a book and don't finish it by the time we are leaving?

If I was leaving from NY I'd love to donate all of my recently read books as they are in great shape.

What I have done is travel guides for the ports I have bought for the cruise, I sneek them into the library so they have the most up to date version.

excellent selection in Explorers lounge

on Westerdam and I expect all the ships to be about the same. Plus you can get the daily puzzels, access the NY Times web site and have a cup of coffee or a drink. What a difference as we sailed on a Carnival ship a few months earlier and they had about 10 paperbacks (mostly left by cruisers). I guess the typical Carnival guest can't read but only eat and climb walls.

Slight correction (wouldn't want anyone to get lost). It's the Explorations Cafe.

There is an Explorers Lounge and it's something different---it's the lounge with after-dinner cocktails and classical music. It's not near the Explorations Cafe.

We'll be in a ocean view cabin on the Maasdam. Do cabins at that level have dvd players in the TVs?
Yes.

You'll just have to go to your local library when you get home ... unless you've gotten it from the "swap" cabinet, in which case you can simply take it with you.

I love to lay around deck and read. Couple questions about HAL's libraries:

1) Do they tend to try and stock any fiction that is of particular interest to cruisers( for instance, "Skinny Dip", the one about the woman whose husband threw her off a cruise ship)?

2) Is there a fee to borrow materials?

We got a very good deal to sail on the Volendam in January 2009, we have been to all the ports before, Sydney-Auckland. First two things that came to mind was the great service we recieved on the Ryndam and the library, it was the best we have ever seen at sea, not only that the ambience is lovely with a coffee shop next door. I believe the Volendam library is much the same as the Ryndam. :) :)

I've been on the Zuiderdam and Volendam. The volendam has the bigger library and it had a great selection. I was on a 10 day cruise so I got more time to read. I am always amazed how people show up on the first day and take out 6 or more books. Seem like there are a few hoarders. I like to take out one or two, return them and get something else. Sometimes the book i pick up is not to my liking so it's great they have such a wide variety. Hopefully the library is still in the same place on the Volendam since it is centrally located. passengers were always in and out looking for books and reading the papers/magazines. Carnival is sad compared to HAL for books. I have run out of time to finish a book but come home and picked it up at the library.

I did not know about the turn in's you can pick up. I'll have to look for that. I always leave a paperback or two. I think that is great. I'll have to check in to that.

by the way whoever it was that left the travel books. Thank you. Actually any books that might get passed on. Thanks.

michelle

Archived