Odor in Stateroom?

debcip

We just returned from the southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure. We had a balcony room on Deck 6 forward, and our daughters had an inside room across from us. The inside cabin always had a sulfur/sewage type smell. Does anyone know if this is typical of inside cabins (we have never had one before), or if this was particular to this cabin on this ship? We mentioned it to the room steward but I am not certain that there was much he could do. The bathroom was clean but I almost wondered if it was above a septic tank or something.

Other than this, we loved this cruise and are looking forward to cruising with RCI again!

I don't know specifically of Adventure....but plumbing/sewage odors occur on most of the ships. We've experienced it in various locations (including our stateroom) on Monarch, Serenade, others. The sewage system has to handle a whole lot of people, and passengers :mad: (not any of us CC'ers!) frequently flush things down the toilets that overload and back up the system.

The balcony door helps, I can understand odors in an inside. It is a common occurrence, I'm sorry you experienced it in the kid's room. :)

We just returned from the southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure. We had a balcony room on Deck 6 forward, and our daughters had an inside room across from us. The inside cabin always had a sulfur/sewage type smell. Does anyone know if this is typical of inside cabins (we have never had one before), or if this was particular to this cabin on this ship? We mentioned it to the room steward but I am not certain that there was much he could do. The bathroom was clean but I almost wondered if it was above a septic tank or something.

Other than this, we loved this cruise and are looking forward to cruising with RCI again!

My room on the Majesty had this issue as well, but I combatted it with keeping the lid down and spraying air freshener. Never had that experience before, but I didn't like it one bit.

I can't really complain though as I'm sure I had one of the least affected rooms. It was strong outside in the hallway when I walked past a few rooms.

I have noticed this same smell in the lower deck hallways sometimes on the Monarch. I would imagine that most ships that do the 3 day/4 day cruises........have many first timers............and are not necessarily careful of what goes in the waste system.

We even had a problem on deck 10 of the Jewel of the Seas, on our last cruise.......but it was short lived.......thank goodness. Again......it was someone that put something into the toilet that belonged somewhere else!

To the OP.......that would not be a typical smell.......especially on deck 6. It sounds like some sort of plumbing problem. When we have experienced this, instead of advising our stateroom attendent, we call maintanence immediately. We seem to get better results that way. :)

Rick

We just got off the Enchantment. Had a JS. The sewage odor was in the bathroom from the first time we entered the cabin. The ship tried a number of things. We used the large beach towels to cover the drain in the tub and another on the floor drain. And closed the "stopper" in the sink. Of course we kept the toilet lid down, and the door closed. Still had the odor, but survived. :eek:

I don't know specifically of Adventure....but plumbing/sewage odors occur on most of the ships. We've experienced it in various locations (including our stateroom) on Monarch, Serenade, others. The sewage system has to handle a whole lot of people, and passengers :mad: (not any of us CC'ers!) frequently flush things down the toilets that overload and back up the system.

The balcony door helps, I can understand odors in an inside. It is a common occurrence, I'm sorry you experienced it in the kid's room. :)

Its usually worse after Lobster night...too much butter....:eek:

We had this smell last month on the Mariner, but could only smell it in the corridors heading aft on deck 8.

my daughter told everyone we were on the poop deck LOL.....

but yeah.... it's not a nice smell when your heading to dinner, kinda kills off the hunger pangs !

wendy

x

Archived