Cairns - Kuranda

ConnMom

I will be on the Rhapsody in November, and am trying to plan our port day in Cairns. I would like to take the Skyrail to Kuranda, including the guided walks enroute, and then walk around Kuranda for a short time before returning via the Scenic Railway. I'd also like to visit the Tjapukai Cultural Park either at the beginning or end of the day.

Has anyone done any or all of these things in a day? We will be tendering at Yorkey's Knob at 9 a.m. and will not leave until 8 p.m. I welcome opinions/ information about whether these are worthwhile activities or the best way to spend our day in Cairns. We will be taking a reef cruise the next day to the Low Isles from Port Douglas, which is the only reef trip the ship is offering.

Thanks to everyone for any input you have for me.

Cheryl

A couple of years ago my daughter and I were staying in Cairns and did basically the same trip - we took the Skyrail up and the train down as a tour. In our situation, there was a hold up at the half way station on the way up and we had to wait for over 1/2 hour to get on the cable car so this cut sown out time in Kuranda but it was an interesting ride. Whilst the trip down on the train was pleasant we felt that we would have been better off to have arranged for the bus transfer (though we had done the train trip some years before when my daughter was younger so that may have influenced our veiw of the trip). It did take a long time and not all the scenery is particularly spectacular - there were one or two waterfalls. If you haven't done it before and have time it might be worthwhile. Remember that sunset comes quite quickly in northern Queensland - there is very little twighlight.

I will be on the Rhapsody in November, and am trying to plan our port day in Cairns. I would like to take the Skyrail to Kuranda, including the guided walks enroute, and then walk around Kuranda for a short time before returning via the Scenic Railway. I'd also like to visit the Tjapukai Cultural Park either at the beginning or end of the day.

Has anyone done any or all of these things in a day? We will be tendering at Yorkey's Knob at 9 a.m. and will not leave until 8 p.m. I welcome opinions/ information about whether these are worthwhile activities or the best way to spend our day in Cairns. We will be taking a reef cruise the next day to the Low Isles from Port Douglas, which is the only reef trip the ship is offering.

Cheryl

ConnMom -

We recently did this trip in the reverse order as we drove to the train station and took the train up in the morning from Freshwater Station. We had several hours in Kurunda village and brought the sky car back down. We didn't stop at the Barron Falls stop as it was misting and slighly foggy. We arrived at the sky car terminal and relaxed in their cafe until our transfer bus back to the rail station picked up up around 5:15 or so. We didn't do the cultural park but there was plenty of time to do so.

We were there in late June and the last train departure from Kurunda Village was 3:30 PM. I believe the sky car runs later so you might be able to stretch your day by taking the train to Kurunda in the morning. They have several different package tour options. Check their website at http://www.kurandascenicrailway.com.au/default.asp

We were there in the winter and it was much cooler in the village than down in the coastal region by Cairns or Palm Cove where we stayed. Check the weather and take a sweatshirt and/or umbrella if it looks like it might rain (it is in the rain forest).

If you have the time in your schedule, you might want to go to the outer reef on one of the many day trips that are run out of Cairns and/or Port Douglas. One of the best known is Quicksilver Cruises. They have been around for over 20 years. Check them out at http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/ They have many options including the Low Isles. Their coaches pick up throughout Cairns and the communities to the north all the way to Port Douglas (about an hour and 15 minutes north on the Captain Cook Highway).

Enjoy your time in Kurunda and on the reef. Its a lot of fun.

Cheryl

There is a one-day Skyrail, Scenic Railway and Tjapukai Park ticket available but I think the effective late start you will be having to the day will rule that out since the train runs to a timetable (only 2 trips per day each way - and the morning trips up are too early for you). Doing the Skyrail both ways will work though since it runs continuously.

I did the trip a few years back, up on Skyrail and back on the train. For what its worth, I have some great memories of the Skyrail experience but can't remember much about the train trip at all.

If you allow 1.5 hours for the up trip (stopping at the boardwoalk half way), say 2 hours in Kuranda, and 1 hour for the down trip, you will have heaps of time either before or after for Tjapukai Cultural Park, which is close to the SkyRail terminal.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and suggestions. I'm thinking that we will try to go one way to or from Kuranda by bus (I think I have seen something about a bus option) and take the Skyrail in the other direction, leaving more time for the Aboriginal Culture Park.

Our ship will tender at Yorkey's Knob. I am hoping that we can take a cab from there to the Skyrail terminal, unless someone knows of a better way.

Hi,

We are doing this in Dec. Could you please post a report when you return. Especially interested in how you got from the tender place to the Skyrail terminal. Skyrail up/bus back? Times involved. And any suggeestions for us.

Thanks so much .

Joanne

http://www.yorkeysknob.com/

http://www.skyrail.com.au/location.html

http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_index_cairns.php

Yorkeys Knob is one of Cairns northern suburbs.

From memory, we walked to Skyrail, from the ship.

However, Skyrail operates a regular coach transfer pick-up & drop-off service in the Cairns, the Cairns’ northern beaches (excluding Holloways & Machans Beaches) and Port Douglas areas. The coach service will collect and deliver you to your individual hotel – contact our Skyrail Reservations to confirm an exact pick-up time. (Refer to their website.)

Archived