Rome Hotel

Iamsailing

Good evening! I love Rome!!!!! It's one of my favourite cities in the world. Could you give me an idea of what class of hotels you are looking for. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and also stayed at 3 star centrally located hotels. I can also recommend some great restaurants.

If you have the chance to head down to Positano. You must try the wonderful and my alltime favourite hotel "Il San Pietro di Positano". It's a member of Relais & Chateaux. Book room #29. Fabulous view.

Let me know,

Kind regards,

ScottToronto

I recommend, very enthusiastically, the Grand Hotel Parco Dei Principi. It is located in a beautiful, peaceful area, at the edge of the Borghese gardens, very near the zoo. Lovely, green grounds, huge wonderful pool, views of St. Peter's dome from your balcony. Lovely rooms, excellent service. The hotel restaurant was a great surprise- the best meal we had in Rome, and we had some very good ones. Easy taxi ride to anywhere in Rome. The hotel may seem somewhat far from the major attractions, but we had no difficulty walking to them, and part of the walk is through the beautiful Borghese park. And we are on the older side of 60, so most people should be okay.

Also, for those needing transport between Civitavecchia and Rome, or Rome and the airport, I highly recommend contacting Stefano at Romecabs.com. He replies promptly, making the arrangements is simple, and his rates are about half what Silversea charges. You are picked up on time by a courteous, pleasant driver in a nice, private Mercedes sedan.

Good morning b luke!

On my last visit, I made a bad choice of hotels and wouldn't even mention the name. I have done some research and would then recommend three hotels.

-Albergo del Senato (located in the square across the street from the Pantheon. Two minute walk to Piazza Navona. It's a 4 star hotel.

(This hotel was recommended by a regional director/friend from Silverseas, this is where is stays)

-if you want to splurge, Hotel Hassler, a classic hotel where all the celebs stay. It's located at the top of the Spanish Steps and some rooms have incredible views. In August, they offer some great specials. Check out their website "special offers", it could save you big bucks. (great location)

-Hotel du Russie, this hotel is lovely with a wonderful courtyard and well appointed rooms. Located at the Piazza Popolo. Great restaurant called Da Bolognese in the square at Piazza Popolo.

Thanks Wellseasoned for the recommendation of Stefano of Romecabs.com

I had a great stay last fall at the St Regis Grand--Built in 1894 by Cesar Ritz--it has an ultra elegant decor, superb rooms, a great gym and spa and a wonderful dining room. Location is close to all the major sights and the staff was very friendly --in spite of my poor attempt at speaking italian!

I second ScottToronto's recommendation of the de Russie. It is perfectly located, a few minutes walk from the Spanish Steps, yet not in the heart of all the chaos. The rooms are exquisite and the courtyard alone is worth the cost. We spent several evenings there before dinner just taking in the atmosphere over a bottle of wine.

We are booked into Il Palazzetto (owned by the GM/owner of the Hassler) before our Oct 8/8 Rome-Athens cruise. Seems to be an interesting little boutique hotel with great reviews. I particularly like that it is home to the International Wine Academy :D . Has anyone else stayed here?

RoseauGirl, if you stay there, please review it. I have been very interested in that place and studied it a lot before I booked Hassler last year. I was at Hassler in October. I did dine at the rooftop and also at their more casual spaghetti place (best spaghetti dish I EVER had). I also used their gym and steam area. Very nice. I walked up and down the Spanish Steps enough to walk off anything I ate. I loved just walking the streets looking for interesting cafes. I am anxious for a longer return to Rome. My husband goes to Italy for work a lot, and I cannot get him to vacation there (even as an add-on to a business trip).

Thanks ScottToronto

We are only staying for 1 night, 4/5 star hotel i think

We stayed at the Hilton at the airport, as we had a ton of Hilton points that we wanted to use up. It is not the "Italian hotel" experience, but the hotel is like most Hiltons in the US. It was very nice, clean and modern and the beds were very comfortable. We stayed on the concierge level, and they had a complimentary breakfast and afternoon hors duevres and drinks. We were also able to walk right from the terminal to the hotel when we landed. It was very convenient, and they offered free shuttle service into Rome and back to the hotel. I have stayed there a couple of times, and it was great for us.

That used to be my favorite hotel. The last time we were there for afew days, the beds were awful, the staff was surly and the housekeeping subpar. The desk area and front staff used to be charming, genteel older gentlemen. The players are now young, arrogant and not helpful. Please tell me it was an aberration and all is well...

I've been using the Minerva for the last 4 years & do agree that the non refurbished rooms are pretty tired; however the newly renovated ones have new beds & are quite comfortable. I have to say I've not had a problem with housekeeping or front desk staff......

• 4 months later...

hi scott, cougld you recommend an inexpensive airconditioned hotel with elevators that is near the spanish steps. thank you miss dee

Good evening! I love Rome!!!!! It's one of my favourite cities in the world. Could you give me an idea of what class of hotels you are looking for. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and also stayed at 3 star centrally located hotels. I can also recommend some great restaurants.

If you have the chance to head down to Positano. You must try the wonderful and my alltime favourite hotel "Il San Pietro di Positano". It's a member of Relais & Chateaux. Book room #29. Fabulous view.

Let me know,

Kind regards,

ScottToronto

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived