MSC Opera Dec 4 2004

girlcruiser

Woohoo! Almost time to leave! 12 hours from now will be getting ready for my flight.

See you all on Saturday for Sailaway. Weather forecast has improved, so looks like we'll be at the pool bar, port side. Away we go!

Like Carl, we too are intruders into the December 4th sailing, but we are sailing on the 11th.

So, how are you packing for the gala formal evenings? Tux\suit for the gents, cocktail\gowns for the ladies as suggested in the MSC information?

Also, any word on whether or not Grand Cayman is still going to be a port of call?

Hope to hear from someone before it's too late. Any December 11th cruisers peeking in on this thread???

Woohoo! Almost time to leave! 12 hours from now will be getting ready for my flight.

See you all on Saturday for Sailaway. Weather forecast has improved, so looks like we'll be at the pool bar, port side. Away we go!

Yahoo toooo!

I'm outta here at 1pm and home to pack.

We arrive Lauderdale a little late - 2pm hoping there are no delays

Hey guys - don't let the ship leave without Buffalo! Pat, Sandy, Chris & Shelly - see you all tomorrow - pool bar - port side confirmed.

over and out

I'm here and she looks beautiful! Flew in over the port and could see her majestically waiting for us. She's docked in the perpendicular slot right next to Princess' main dock near the 17th Street Bridge if anyone's wondering. Tomorrow the Caribbean should be there, so she may look a bit small in comparison, but just right to me.

I can see my cabin from the hotel window. She's bekoning to me!

See you all tomorrow!

I am booked on the Dec. 11 sailing of the Opera - so I will post when I return. Still don't have travel documents - so probably will be pierside pick-up. Not a good feeling. We have a category 6 ocenview guarantee with stateroom assignment. So God only knows what we will get. We are one week away from sailing and still don't have a cabin assignment - not getting any warm and fuzzies for sure. Have a feeling I'm going steerage.

I am booked on the Dec. 11 sailing of the Opera - so I will post when I return. Still don't have travel documents - so probably will be pierside pick-up. Not a good feeling. We have a category 6 ocenview guarantee with stateroom assignment. So God only knows what we will get. We are one week away from sailing and still don't have a cabin assignment - not getting any warm and fuzzies for sure. Have a feeling I'm going steerage.

I'm not sure why your docs would be pier pick-up? I'm sailing on January 22 and already have a cabin assignment, and so do my friends. I'm expecting to receive docs in the mail, at least two weeks prior to sailing. We shall see. At least you know you will get a category 6 or better. Can't be all bad no matter what you end up with.

I must say MSC is a little disorganized right now. They just moved from offices in New Jersey to temporary offices in Ft. Lauderdale. Soon they will move into their permanent offices and I think things will get better then. Not to make excuses, but it might help to explain some of the disorganization.

Ernie

I'm saying I will probably have to pick up my documents at the pier as my sail date is one week today. Only 5 days to come by mail. Getting worried and getting no response from MSC. All monies was charged to my CC. Wondering if I should even get on the plane.

You have to admit this is cutting it very, very close

Please, please post a full review of your cruise. I know that your info will be detailed, and a true comparison and I can't wait to hear from you.

We have booked this cruise for 1-29, on a lark (and my sister's travel agent's rates :-) and are very excited to be trying a new line and ship.

Current info and reviews are limited and I was so excited to see that you are on the ship!

Full review, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Judy

Judy, Amber left after our cruise for San Juan to board the Constellation. She was working on a review that should be great. I plan to do a review (though not as complete as Amber's) when my head stops spinning. She is a beautiful ship and I would love to sail on her again. There are little kinks to be worked out but nothing to ruin a cruise. Of course, there were people griping and moaning that they would never sell MSC again. Oh well, that just leaves more cabins for those of us who can appreciate all that the Opera has to offer. :D

Lill,

Thanks for the info and I can't wait to hear ALL about it! Your thumbs up is a good indication and we, too, will make the best of any cruise. We may grumble to ourselves about the little things, but always with a smile while having a good time. We are so looking forward to a new cruise experience. It makes it that much more exciting to be trying something different for a change.

Catch your breath, and then please fill us in!

Thanks,

Judy

I can't wait to hear about this cruise. The only review I've read so far has been decidedly negative. Since I will be sailing on the Opera Jan 8 I'd love to see a comprehensive review good or bad. Can't wait for some feedback! Jeremy

I can't wait to hear about this cruise. The only review I've read so far has been decidedly negative. Since I will be sailing on the Opera Jan 8 I'd love to see a comprehensive review good or bad. Can't wait for some feedback! Jeremy
I don't have time to write a comprehensive review because I'm way too busy catching up after being gone for a week but I must say that I would definitely book again! I loved this cruise. (Not for kids though)

Thought the ship was absolutely beautiful, clean and new.

The food was as good as it gets.

The entertainment was first class and the crew will get where they need to be to make this a really great cruise. There are some cultural differences to work out (Coffee after dinner and little stuff like that). But I found the crew to be pleasant and agreeable even if they couldn't deliver - or didn't understand what was needed and wanted.

I was disappointed with a change in itinerary at the end. Instead of going to Nassau - which I was looking forward to - we went to Freeport - which you can keep. Other than that - It was great!

more later -

Oh yeah - don't worry about pier pickup - I had pier pickup and it was fine.

I don't have time to write a comprehensive review because I'm way too busy catching up after being gone for a week but I must say that I would definitely book again! I loved this cruise. (Not for kids though)

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear it's not for kids. Us childless adults need more options and there are plenty of cruise lines that cater to kids. I personally cruise as much as possible while school is in session to avoid kids.

Ernie

In the Med there are many kids. Superb childrens room for the younger ones and teen activities, mainly revolving around late night discos and sports events are held throughout. Perhaps different in the US. Certainly on the TA and just prior to Christmas I doubt there would have been that many aboard anyway. Probably more over Christmas though.

I'm assuming not for kids dosen't mean there won't be kids it means it's not a good cruise for kids. I am taking my kids in Feb.

Could you tell me why you don't think it is a good cruise for kids.

Please don't misunderstand ~ I don't think it's a bad cruise for kids. No cruise is bad for anyone! I was specifically refering to the week that we went - naturally there weren't any playmates on board 3 weeks before Christmas. In fact there really weren't many kids at all - just very small ones. I guess that's the biggest reason I was happy he wasn't along.

But I really don't think the cruiseline would leave the kids out during vacation times. My guess is that there will be lots of planned activities for them if they are aboard. There is a gameroom that looks like it may have video games in it soon and while there are no slides and things like that at the pool - there is a very nice pool setup - one shallow one and one deep one that you can actually swim in. Deck activities are pretty amusing - hopefully there will be some for kids during Christmas and holidays.

It's not my first choice when I'm planning on taking my son - I'd pick a line that caters more to kids - but I certainly wouldn't hesitate because it is a great ship and a terrific cruise experience.

• 1 month later...

:) we are leaving on the 19th of feb..... have heard so many negative reports that I am wondering if we will be doing the correct thing. we are from Florence, italy currently living in Miami beach, however we would very much love to get ona real Italian ship, however we would very much like for it to be efficient , on time, not rude, no smell of gasoline in cabins,(are they really as tiny as they say?) ALSO IS THERE OPEN SEATING FOR DINNER? replys will be greatly apreciated. ciao e grazie! P.S. we have sailed many many times before!

:) we are leaving on the 19th of feb..... have heard so many negative reports that I am wondering if we will be doing the correct thing. we are from Florence, italy currently living in Miami beach, however we would very much love to get ona real Italian ship, however we would very much like for it to be efficient , on time, not rude, no smell of gasoline in cabins,(are they really as tiny as they say?) ALSO IS THERE OPEN SEATING FOR DINNER? replys will be greatly apreciated. ciao e grazie! P.S. we have sailed many many times before!

I think you will love it ... especially being Italian. MSC OPERA is VERY Italian, and you will hear a lot of Italian onboard from the staff, crew, singers, and entertainers. Not one person on my sailing (January 22) was rude. They were one of the most outgoing and personable crews I have ever sailed with, and I have sailed on a lot of ships.

There is NOT open seating for dinner. Don't know where that rumor got started.

As for efficiency ... the ship was always on time (or early) and left port exactly when scheduled. Evening shows ran about 10 minutes late but I think it was to wait for stragglers from the dining room. No big deal. If you want everything to run like an efficient clock then choose a German ship. ;)

Bad odors .... there were absolutely none on my sailing. The only mention of this seems to be some cabins on Deck 10. I was on Deck 8 and had no offensive smells. I might add MSC OPERA was one of the cleanest ships I've been on and the staff was constantly cleaning and performing maintenance on the ship.

Quit worrying about it and go have a great time!

Ernie

ps - you can read my full review (MSC OPERA - Mini Review) on a separate thread on this board for more details)

Guiliana, please don't fret about your upcoming cruise on the Opera. I agree with Eroller. I was on the 1/22 cruise & had a wonderful time. The ship is beautiful & exceptionally clean. The cabins, although small are very efficient. We didn't need all the storage space provided, & believe me, our 4 suitcases were crammed full. We were also on the 8th deck. No smell, nor did I hear anyone else c/o one. We requested ice in cabin at 4pm & not only was it there at 4, but also in the am. If I had need of my cabin stewardess, Victoria, she was there within 5 min or less. We and our four travel companions had assigned 1st seating in the L'Aprodo dining rm. Service was excellent, both from our server and the drink server, Brenda. Our water glass was always filled & no problem getting decaf following dinner. Sure, there may have been a couple of food choices I didn't care for, but mostly the food was good. I had cheesecake every night. Yum. My companions did not care for the cake. I've heard complaints of the buffet on these boards, but my only one was cool scrambled eggs. I solved that by ordering eggs or omelet on deck, which is right outside the buffet. I've also heard complaints of paper cups for coffee on deck, but that is solved by getting your coffee inside. the buffet. All ship personnel we came in contact with couldn't do enough for us. Shows good. Drinks reasonable, but short. No drink cards. Drinks in cabin fridge reasonable. No problem bringing alcohol in luggage, but can't buy on ship or shore & take to your rm. They will hold it for you until last day. This is true of all ships. I could go on but you get the idea. Have a wonderful cruise. I will definately cruise on Opera again.

Archived