Nice Shorts (men) In The Dining Room

mchlhaystead

Just be advised that when we sailed the Legend in May (even after the new dress code was put out) the Capers were still saying "no shorts" in BOLD every night!!

Did people wear them anyway? Was it an issue?

Do I need to take a copy of CCL's new dress code for my dh to show them?

im glad to see this in print..there s been too many opinion s about what is

appropriate and what is not..

we went to the swap meet in honolulu this past week and loaded up on

light weight clothing..including several short s..i ll certainly be wearing them this upcoming jan..:D

Q: Is it ever appropriate to wear dress shoes with shorts? Oxfords? Wingtips? Monkstraps? I’ve seen Michael Bastian do it.

A: Yes, you may wear dressy shoes with shorts. Spectators, monkstraps, even wingtips, if they aren’t massively bulky—although I suppose Mr. Thom Browne might even carry off­ that brogues-and-bare-knees look. Why not? I wear shorts regularly with my superlatively handsome Berluti spectator golf shoes. And white bucks. And saddle shoes. You have to wear something instead of those flip-flops! And as far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to wear gladiator sandals, you should be prepared to die for them.

is it "forbidden" to wear nice shorts in the dining room with a polo shirt or button up shirt? i know it says no shorts, but....

thanks

michele

Your post cracks me up. You say you know it says no shorts, but you still want then to be worn, lol. I know the policy has changed, and you might not have been aware of it, but still cracks me up.

Don't push the envelope too far lol. By the way, we live in St Cloud too.:)

Did people wear them anyway? Was it an issue?

Do I need to take a copy of CCL's new dress code for my dh to show them?

No worries! I was just on the Legend from 8/10-17 and there wasn't anything in the Capers stating no shorts. Evenings were just designated in the capers as cruise casual or cruise elegant with no further mention of the dress code. I think we were given a letter explaining the dress code as we boarded. The dress code, as I remember, was the same as the one now on the Carnival website allowing shorts.

My husband wore nice docker-style shorts and a polo shirt on cruise casual nights with nice sandals. Strangely enough, Jed Clampett didn't once come to mind and hopefully, I didn't look too much like Granny.:D

"Come-a listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed; a poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed................"

hillbillyfh8.gif

Even the Clampett's wore long pants to those "fancy eatin' places".........

Me I'm from Tennessee and I guess I'll wear whatever I want that abides by the dress code...Dennis

im glad to see this in print..there s been too many opinion s about what is

appropriate and what is not..

What does being "in print" have to do with appropriateness? All that means is that means they're allowed; whether they're appropriate or not depends on your perception of what is considered appropriate to wear for dinner in an elegant setting. In my opinion shorts are not appropriate to wear to dinner at any nice restaurant or cruise ship main dining room, regardless of how far a cruise line relaxes the dress code in order to avoid conflict and having to enforce any standards. Others will disagree I'm sure, but that is what I believe.

i guess shorts in the dining room are going the way of gratuity discussions. so many people think it is their place to tell others what they ought to do.

my philosophy is that the owners of the establishment dictate what is appropriate for their establishment.

Carnival had determined the norm for non-elegant nights as dress shorts permitted. Those who have sailed since that change indicate that many are in fact wearing dress shorts.

in these days of ever-tightening luggage restrictions on the airlines, im guessing that this is largely a business decision for Carnival. And an economic and convenience decision for those of us who want to pack as light as possible.

if this bothers people so much, perhaps they should look into another option.

Archived