Lido Dinner

Ewokdude

I walked on both sides of the Lido for dinner and didn't notice any tables with table cloths and noone was being served their entrees. So I am not sure what to say to those that say every ship does this. I'm sorry, I really am not lying, and I am not making it up. It didn't matter to me that it had table cloths or not, that doesn't change the food. I expect to go to the Lido and serve my self anyway. (This was on the Zuiderdam by the way for those who didn't read my previous post).

[quote name='Culater']I walked on both sides of the Lido for dinner and didn't notice any tables with table cloths and noone was being served their entrees. So I am not sure what to say to those that say every ship does this.[/QUOTE]
I think those tables are only set for a short period of time ... like 5:30 to 7:00 or something like that. I also know that on my last cruise they were not bringing entrees to the table. Rather, you selected your entree right from the line and it was put on your plate. If it would take a few minutes to cook, you waited until it was done ... just like during lunch in the Lido.

Maybe on some ships they just don't have enough available staff to offer tableside service anymore in the Lido? I know from how long dinners sometime took in the dining room, this would not surprise me.

Just like all businesses, HAL is probably having to make do with less staff, so perhaps the special Lido dinners, with tablecloths on the tables and whatnot, is one service that is slowly being dropped? Also, I would think that with the advent of AYWD, there won't be a heck of a lot of people taking their dinners in the Lido. Maybe they will only offer the full dining service on formal nights?

Some things to think about anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]A hot tip: Ignore dirty looks and/or give those that feel the need to look down on you a big smile. It'll make your day! Enjoy your first HAL cruise![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Though there may be lots of "know it alls", "matriarchs (as someone described the HAL board on a recent cruise)", and "experts" on here, there really is no need to be intimidated. They generally only slide by public areas to inspect (and later report), rather than actually cause any trouble at the scene..... .. mmmm....

Rest easy... Most HAL cruisers are in it for a genuine relaxing, comfortable, fun holiday....

:D :D :D

When you get aboard the HAL ship, you'll see how warm and friendly the staff is, and how welcoming they are! You'll also notice that (as other posters have said) the majority of the passengers are relaxed and easy-going.

It's no secret that HAL attacts a more sedate clientele and not too many party-folks gravitate toward the line. For our family (two 50's and a 14) that's a VERY good thing! ;)

We love HAL and have never felt that anyone was inspecting our attire, our behavior or any other aspect of our cruise. It's truly a very comfortable environment.

Otherwise, we would never have booked the cruise we booked over the holidays. We are relaxed, casual cruisers. We do not relish getting dressed up, but we do now and then. Believe me, we do not have the money to waste on a cruise where we are miserable by being under a microscope. We have NO angst at all in booking with HAL and hope that once you're aboard, your concerns will be gone faster than you can make it to the Lido for the welcome lunch! :D

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]You can be more casual in the Lido for dinner. For example on a formal night -- you can wear slacks, etc -- not formal there. I have even seen people wear shorts for dinner there.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]When you arrive, you go through a buffet line to get your appeizters, salads, rolls. At the end of that line you place your order for the entree -- you will be given a card. They use computers and know what table you will be sitting at -- tables are covered in white cloths. Once your entree is ready, it is brought to your table. For dessert -- you get that on your own.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

We (my wife and I) are new to cruise critic, and fairly new to cruising. But after 2 cruises on the Westerdam we are big fans of HAL. Thought we would add our 2 cents to the Lido dinner service/table cloth discussion. On our first cruise on the Westerdam (12/07 E. Caribbean) we did experience the table service with table cloths in the Lido. On our second Westerdam voyage (Alaska 5/08), dinner in the Lido was buffet style like other meals there. Maybe as others have said it depends on the staff available on any given cruise. We did enjoy the table service in the Lido, and hope it is available on the Noordam when we cruise in November.

Dean and Pam

[quote name='cruisinaddiction']We (my wife and I) are new to cruise critic, and fairly new to cruising. But after 2 cruises on the Westerdam we are big fans of HAL. Thought we would add our 2 cents to the Lido dinner service/table cloth discussion. On our first cruise on the Westerdam (12/07 E. Caribbean) we did experience the table service with table cloths in the Lido. On our second Westerdam voyage (Alaska 5/08), dinner in the Lido was buffet style like other meals there. Maybe as others have said it depends on the staff available on any given cruise. We did enjoy the table service in the Lido, and hope it is available on the Noordam when we cruise in November.

Dean and Pam[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]You are right -- I had forgotten about that -- we were also on the Westerdam in May for an Alaskan cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]And you know what? I can't remember if there were table clothes on the 19 day Westerdam cruise we did right before the Alaskan cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='watchdiva']Absolutely unreal?!
Sure, HAL has a nice product but please be realistic - the guy/woman wearing jeans right next to you could be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company who just really doesn't care what others think about how he is dressed.[/quote]

Or a household name! (They do tend to be most unpretentious) ;)

As long as folks are polite, that says so much more than what they wear. On our Maasdam cruise, the formal nights weren't as formal as I'd anticipated, so didn't wear the eve. gown as planned for the 2nd one. Dressy slacks and lacey top sufficed nicely. I felt just as comfortable up in Lido wearing fancy as I did wearing casual up there because fellow passengers ranked among our most favorite on cruises. Just nice people.

I love to people-watch myself -- it's fun to see all the styles! I have a relative who would strive for as many strange stares as possible, though :D :p , if they cruised.

[quote name='photomikey']So... let me get this straight. You don't limit your being offended by people in denim to the venues you are enjoying... you actively seek out people in areas of the ship you wouldn't normally go in at that hour, so that you can check to see how they are dressed.

Did I get that right?[/QUOTE]
I agree with you Mikey!

After being on 3 HAL cruises.......I cannot believe someone actually goes around pointing out people with innapropriate attire. Tsk Tsk. There was a gal whos luggage didnt arrive untill day 4......I certainly hope no one stopped and pointed at her. If anyone wore the wrong attire it certainly wouldnt ruin my trip! I have better things to do then pay attention to what people wear. My family always tries to go by the rules.......but I sure wouldnt embarass anyone if they didnt. In our 11 cruises we have come across many people who bring no formal wear....they want to relax and enjoy the cruise. I say good for them! And no itwouldnt be offensive to me one bit if someone sat next to me at the show in jeans.

[quote name='kakalina']As far as I know the table side waiter service in the Lido is reserved for formal nights. The tablecloths have been there on all our cruises and my DH eats exclusively in the Lido.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this information. We're either going to go to the Lido or dine in our cabin on formal nights.

[quote name='mhoffman55']I agree with you Mikey!

After being on 3 HAL cruises.......I cannot believe someone actually goes around pointing out people with innapropriate attire. Tsk Tsk. There was a gal whos luggage didnt arrive untill day 4......I certainly hope no one stopped and pointed at her. If anyone wore the wrong attire it certainly wouldnt ruin my trip! I have better things to do then pay attention to what people wear. My family always tries to go by the rules.......but I sure wouldnt embarass anyone if they didnt. In our 11 cruises we have come across many people who bring no formal wear....they want to relax and enjoy the cruise. I say good for them! And no itwouldnt be offensive to me one bit if someone sat next to me at the show in jeans.[/QUOTE]

Some people are just people-watchers and/or like to see what's going on. They may be a bit nosey, but that no reason to assign nefarious presumptions as to their motivations for doing what they do.

[quote name='kakalina']As far as I know the table side waiter service in the Lido is reserved for formal nights. The tablecloths have been there on all our cruises and my DH eats exclusively in the Lido.[/QUOTE]

On the [I]Rotterdam[/I] this past Jan/Feb, the night we made our approach to the Horn after leaving Antarctica, I ate in the Lido for the first time in my cruising history (since 1994). It was a Smart Casual Night, and yet the Lido had table-waiter service. We got our salad and soup in the line but then place our order and the stand and proceeded to our table, where our entree was served a little later. It was a nice set up, and I enjoyed it ... and the flexibility in the schedule it provided for me that one evening.

[quote name='RevNeal']On the [I]Rotterdam[/I] this past Jan/Feb, the night we made our approach to the Horn after leaving Antarctica, I ate in the Lido for the first time in my cruising history (since 1994). It was a Smart Casual Night, and yet the Lido had table-waiter service. We got our salad and soup in the line but then place our order and the stand and proceeded to our table, where our entree was served a little later. It was a nice set up, and I enjoyed it ... and the flexibility in the schedule it provided for me that one evening.[/quote]

Well Greg, it just goes to show you that even that insignificant courtesy can change from ship to ship. :( We always sail S&R and that's what you were on so I guess it something that the HotMan or Cul.Man. decides on each ship and perhaps even from voyage to voyage on the same ship. :)

[quote name='kakalina']Well Greg, it just goes to show you that even that insignificant courtesy can change from ship to ship. :( We always sail S&R and that's what you were on so I guess it something that the HotMan or Cul.Man. decides on each ship and perhaps even from voyage to voyage on the same ship. :)[/QUOTE]

More inconsistency ... frustrating.

[quote name='RevNeal']On the [I]Rotterdam[/I] this past Jan/Feb, the night we made our approach to the Horn after leaving Antarctica, I ate in the Lido for the first time in my cruising history (since 1994). It was a Smart Casual Night, and yet the Lido had table-waiter service. We got our salad and soup in the line but then place our order and the stand and proceeded to our table, where our entree was served a little later. It was a nice set up, and I enjoyed it ... and the flexibility in the schedule it provided for me that one evening.[/quote]
This was also our experience on the [I]Prinsendam[/I] this past May/June. We were on a very port-intensive itinerary thru the Kiel Canal/Baltics & found that the Lido provided a flexible & convenient alternative to La Fontaine DR. We served ourselves the appetizer/soup/salad courses & had table service for the main course. Our wine steward gave us gracious & attentive service. Then it was self-serve again for desserts & cheese. After many years of HAL cruises, dinner in the Lido was a new venture for us. We totally enjoyed it & will certainly check it out again on future cruises.:cool::cool:

[quote name='RevNeal']More inconsistency ... frustrating.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's inconsistency, per se. I think it's just a matter of staffing levels on some cruises. Maybe a bunch of folks' contracts ended, yet their replacements aren't coming on until say Fort Lauderdale at the end of the current cruise.

With service type work, you have to adjust daily based on your staffing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']I don't think it's inconsistency, per se. I think it's just a matter of staffing levels on some cruises. Maybe a bunch of folks' contracts ended, yet their replacements aren't coming on until say Fort Lauderdale at the end of the current cruise.

With service type work, you have to adjust daily based on your staffing.[/QUOTE]

Rita, I am the Senior Pastor of a church with a staff and have also served aboard ship ... I know a little bit about the logistics of staffing such an operation and coordinating multi-staff situations. In other words, I'm not ignorant of the subject. Nominally, I would agree. However, the [I]Rotterdam[/I] was short-handed on that cruise ... they had lost about a dozen crew members due to end-of-contract in Rio and HR Deployment didn't have enough staff to shift from elsewhere in the fleet to make up the difference. They were due to pick up several staff members for housekeeping, food service, and beverage in Santiago at the end of our cruise, but during our cruise they had to adjust staff deployment within departments in order to provide sufficient service ... and all at the same time as they were first implementing AYWD. Nevertheless, the Lido still operated with table service. That was the FIRST cruise I have ever been on where I saw [I]senior[/I] dining staff working HARD to directly serve passengers at the tables and I even saw the Maitre' D bussing tables! They were clearly understaffed in that department, but they were still trying to provide full table service. I was impressed.

Perhaps there's a set level of staffing capacity, above which they can still provide stable-service in the Lido every evening, and below which they must revert to cafeteria-style service? Perhaps ... but, based upon experience, my guess is that they probably don't have any kind of fleet-wide policy; rather, I suspect that it's decided on a ship-by-ship / situation-by-situation basis.

[quote name='kryos']I think those tables are only set for a short period of time ... like 5:30 to 7:00 or something like that.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Rita, you keep posting these early times, but several times it's been posted that hasn't been true for quite a while now. Since the institution of the open seating option portion of AYW, the Lido has been open extended hours. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]I just checked the schedule from my 20-day E-dam cruise. The Lido dinner closed at 8:00 a couple of nights, 8:30 most nights, 8:45 twice, and 10:00 the night the train was returning from Berlin. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[quote]Also, I would think that with the advent of AYWD, there won't be a heck of a lot of people taking their dinners in the Lido.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]The option of open seating---which is still the formal dining room---has nothing to do with the alternative of casual dining. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]You either offer casual dining or you don't. The lower portion of the dining room is not a casual dining venue. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived