Snowmobiles?

SBwannaB

Nope.

You can get to some snow, if you drive the Klondike Highway, out of Skagway or go up Mt Roberts, in Juneau. The "ports" going to be all green, otherwise, no snow on the ground, if that is what you think??

You can take a helicopter and snowmobile on the glaciers at Girdwood/Alyeska if you're on a one-way. While we'll still have snow in the White Pass, there are no snowmobile rentals there.

If we are going in August 2009 is there the possiblity still of doing snowmobile on glacier? WE will be doing independent land tour for 5-6 days oursleves - this is surely something the hubby would love.

*We sailed with you on RCI Radiance May 2006 and you were very helpful. Thanks again for everything!

If we are going in August 2009 is there the possiblity still of doing snowmobile on glacier? WE will be doing independent land tour for 5-6 days oursleves - this is surely something the hubby would love.

*We sailed with you on RCI Radiance May 2006 and you were very helpful. Thanks again for everything!

Yes, they are available year round. I went with this company on my last winter trip. http://www.snowtours.net/

Unfortunately snowmobiles are not available year round - even on top of glaciers. I appreciate the information BQ but when I contacted them, they informed me that they only operate these tours in the winter - Feb/March is the latest.

We are quite sad - the website looks like so much fun. :(

Unfortunately snowmobiles are not available year round - even on top of glaciers. I appreciate the information BQ but when I contacted them, they informed me that they only operate these tours in the winter - Feb/March is the latest.

I'm surprised that they didn't say "we used to do summer tours", because they did. I'm not sure about last summer, but in 2006 you could take a helicopter up to the glaciers and they had a snowmobile camp set up. You might have noticed that their Web site still says: "Year round cutting edge snowmobile tours in Alaska!"

I'm surprised that they didn't say "we used to do summer tours", because they did. I'm not sure about last summer, but in 2006 you could take a helicopter up to the glaciers and they had a snowmobile camp set up. You might have noticed that their Web site still says: "Year round cutting edge snowmobile tours in Alaska!"

That is actually what threw me for a loop when I heard back from them. Her polite yet very brief email simply said "sorry but no snowmobiling in August. Come in February!" I did notice after the fact however that the site only lists departure times now during winter months.

Very disappointing!!! I really wanted to treat my husband to something a little unusual and off the "beaten path" that he would enjoy. Am considering now the North Trekks adventure (but concerned too strenuous for him.)

Any just really cool things we could hit while based in ANC for a night or two - day trips? Considering the white water rafting - Lion's Head. But wanted something on glaciers for more glacier time and photography opportunities.

Thanks!

That is actually what threw me for a loop when I heard back from them. Her polite yet very brief email simply said "sorry but no snowmobiling in August. Come in February!" I did notice after the fact however that the site only lists departure times now during winter months.

Very disappointing!!! I really wanted to treat my husband to something a little unusual and off the "beaten path" that he would enjoy. Am considering now the North Trekks adventure (but concerned too strenuous for him.)

Any just really cool things we could hit while based in ANC for a night or two - day trips? Considering the white water rafting - Lion's Head. But wanted something on glaciers for more glacier time and photography opportunities.

Thanks!

What about glacier Trekking?? I've gone with MICA guides for a fantastic adventure. :)

I'm sure it's been supply and demand for the snowmobile trips. Even in the winter, rentals are not plentiful. I have a vendor I always use out of the North Pole, and the above listed in Girdwood, I've used. It was important for me, to have guided, since, the areas are so vast. There was one place I happened upon that did have rentals only, but not an option for me at the time.

So, perhaps do consider a winter trip??? I highly recommend March, since the temps are overall mild with good daylight- about 12 hours. I do have to say, the winter trips I have taken, surpassed all my "in season" trips.

Thanks!

I didn't realize they didn't still do the snowmachining all year round, either.

I don't know if you know that you can do a combo Lion's Head/Matanuska Glacier trip with NOVA: http://www.novalaska.com/glacier.htm

Archived