Smoking? in Cabins

Southernbelle73

All smokers are disgusting. Not only do I smell the smoke on my own balcony, but I smell it on their clothes, hair and breath as they walk by.

Agreed. Who would want breath like that? Just imagine what it must be like to be a non-smoker dating and having to kiss a smoker? I often offer this (hopefully) helpful advice for anyone caught in such a predicament. If you feel there is absolutely no way out of it and you absolutely must kiss a smoker, then I suggest you first perform the Smoker Scrub Down (SSD, for short). First thing is you need to prepare yourself properly for the SSD. Put on your elbow length rubber gloves. Then for your facial area, you should prepare like a dental hygienist would. Wear goggles and the little breathing mask. OK, now you're ready to tackle the nasty task. Fetch the toilet brush and a full can of Comet, Bon Ami, or similar abrasive cleaner. Have the smoker open wide and liberally apply the Comet or Bon Ami and then use some elbow grease to begin scrubbing. Just as with the toilet, you need to be sure and scrub well under both the upper and lower rims. The tongue is likely to be particularly troublesome. Perhaps a charcoal grill scraper or extra coarse brillo pad could be used to scour and scrub the tongue. There we go, much better. Now have the smoker gargle deeply with Pine-Sol, rinse, and repeat. Now it's time for clean up. Use a garden hose and rinse out the oral cavity thoroughly. Then, as a last step, tie one of those air fresheners like people put on their car rear view mirror to one of the smokers upper front teeth and let it dangle freely in their mouth for an hour or so. I suggest pine forest scent but any other scent will do. This should help deodorize the oral cavity. Now you are ready for the dirty deed. Swoop in quickly, give the smoker a quick peck on the cheek, and then back away quickly. Voila! Mission accomplished!

Now I know already what some of you are saying. My ears are burning. I can hear it now. Some of you are saying "OK, Mr. smart alek know it all. You think you are so smart, what about this. Let's say I perform the Smoker Scrub Down and get to the last step and find that, like many smokers, this smoker is missing both upper front teeth. So now I have no place where I can attach the air freshener. Then what do I do Mr. smarty pants? See, you're not so smart after all. :p "

Well, I already have an answer for that too. Look, if you get yourself into a situation where you get hooked up with some person who is both a smoker AND is missing both upper front teeth, then you have got real problems. At that point, getting the Smoker Scrub Down process to work properly should be the least of your worries. Your real problem is you need to exercise better judgment in selecting mates. So don't come whining to me that SSD does not work properly if you get yourself into that situation.

Anyway, hopefully this timely advice will help some of our fellow travelers if they are ever confronted with the need to perform this wretched task.

Agreed. Who would want breath like that? Just imagine what it must be like to be a non-smoker dating and having to kiss a smoker? I often offer this (hopefully) helpful advice for anyone caught in such a predicament. If you feel there is absolutely no way out of it and you absolutely must kiss a smoker, then I suggest you first perform the Smoker Scrub Down (SSD, for short). First thing is you need to prepare yourself properly for the SSD. Put on your elbow length rubber gloves. Then for your facial area, you should prepare like a dental hygienist would. Wear goggles and the little breathing mask. OK, now you're ready to tackle the nasty task. Fetch the toilet brush and a full can of Comet, Bon Ami, or similar abrasive cleaner. Have the smoker open wide and liberally apply the Comet or Bon Ami and then use some elbow grease to begin scrubbing. Just as with the toilet, you need to be sure and scrub well under both the upper and lower rims. The tongue is likely to be particularly troublesome. Perhaps a charcoal grill scraper or extra coarse brillo pad could be used to scour and scrub the tongue. There we go, much better. Now have the smoker gargle deeply with Pine-Sol, rinse, and repeat. Now it's time for clean up. Use a garden hose and rinse out the oral cavity thoroughly. Then, as a last step, tie one of those air fresheners like people put on their car rear view mirror to one of the smokers upper front teeth and let it dangle freely in their mouth for an hour or so. I suggest pine forest scent but any other scent will do. This should help deodorize the oral cavity. Now you are ready for the dirty deed. Swoop in quickly, give the smoker a quick peck on the cheek, and then back away quickly. Voila! Mission accomplished!

Now I know already what some of you are saying. My ears are burning. I can hear it now. Some of you are saying "OK, Mr. smart alek know it all. You think you are so smart, what about this. Let's say I perform the Smoker Scrub Down and get to the last step and find that, like many smokers, this smoker is missing both upper front teeth. So now I have no place where I can attach the air freshener. Then what do I do Mr. smarty pants? See, you're not so smart after all. :p "

Well, I already have an answer for that too. Look, if you get yourself into a situation where you get hooked up with some person who is both a smoker AND is missing both upper front teeth, then you have got real problems. At that point, getting the Smoker Scrub Down process to work properly should be the least of your worries. Your real problem is you need to exercise better judgment in selecting mates. So don't come whining to me that SSD does not work properly if you get yourself into that situation.

Anyway, hopefully this timely advice will help some of our fellow travelers if they are ever confronted with the need to perform this wretched task.

Congratulations.. I thought I had read postings that could not be more rude, insulting, childish or low class.. and you just topped them all.

I just sailed on the Dawn (9/28 to Bermuda). I did not smell any smoke in my cabin. However, it was very noticeable (and disgusting) in the hallways and on our balcony. Lots of smoking by the pool & even on the walking track.

I know it's different for everyone but after smoking for 60 years, my mother was recently diagnosed with COPD. She had great success in quitting using Commit. It's a mint lozenger (sp?). She has quit or tried to quit many times. She's been about 7 months without.

Thanks, I'll pass that on. But, the point I was trying to make was...I can't control his actions: believe me, he KNOWS where he's headed, health-wise. I can only control my own response, and I can choose to be a little nice about this, or make us all uncomfortable. He and his wife do not smoke around my family and I try to give him a place to smoke( okay, it's the deck outside!). But, and this is my other point, a little politeness and consideration go a long way. I prefer to think most people (both smokers and non-smokers) try to be considerate. I try to avoid the obnoxious other group, who may or may not be smokers.

I have never smoked and yes, I have been overweight for a long time, but I have recently lost about 40 lbs. Therefore I do feel I posess empathy, as I stated before.

Smokers and non-smokers are people with feelings and emotions. While I do not like smoking, there are many people I like and love who smoke (or have smoked). A good many would like to quit. I know I wasted too many years wanting to lose weight.

Sure I would rather not be exposed to smoke because I don't like it. But we all have our own vices. There are people who do other things I may not like, such as cuss, not bathe, pop their gum, crack their knuckles, get smack-down drunk, get loud, fart, etc. But hey, we gotta share this earth.

Sure I would rather not be exposed to smoke because I don't like it. But we all have our own vices. There are people who do other things I may not like, such as cuss, not bathe, pop their gum, crack their knuckles, get smack-down drunk, get loud, fart, etc. But hey, we gotta share this earth.

But there is a big difference between all those other things you mention and smoking. Second hand smoke is harmful to the health of people besides the smoker.

I have never smoked and yes, I have been overweight for a long time, but I have recently lost about 40 lbs. Therefore I do feel I posess empathy, as I stated before.

Smokers and non-smokers are people with feelings and emotions. While I do not like smoking, there are many people I like and love who smoke (or have smoked). A good many would like to quit. I know I wasted too many years wanting to lose weight.

Congrats Donna on losing the weight..I know how hard it is.. As of last Thursday I have lost 63 lbs. It took me a year.. and I still have a long ways to go..

Here I thought you and I would have a good time on a cruise togehter and then I find out I do two things you don't like.. Smoke and cuss.. LOL.. Alll the other things you mentioned you don't like.. i am right there with you. We took my great nephew to see the King Tutt exhibit Saturday.. here we are in the beautiful Dallas Museum of Art and someone farted right in the middle of one of the exhibits.. Just goes to show there are people of no class every where you go.

Congrats Donna on losing the weight..I know how hard it is.. As of last Thursday I have lost 63 lbs. It took me a year.. and I still have a long ways to go..

Here I thought you and I would have a good time on a cruise togehter and then I find out I do two things you don't like.. Smoke and cuss.. LOL.. Alll the other things you mentioned you don't like.. i am right there with you. We took my great nephew to see the King Tutt exhibit Saturday.. here we are in the beautiful Dallas Museum of Art and someone farted right in the middle of one of the exhibits.. Just goes to show there are people of no class every where you go.

Congrats to both of you...the whole weight losing battle is a hard one to fight...and I agree w/ you on all of the other issues as well...and. wouldn't the non-smokers have to be exposed to years of second hand smoke to have it be detrimental?...the amount they encounter on a cruise wouldn't be that much!...and I don't like the smell of it either, and we smoke:o

Archived