Can we start a FRESH Great Balcony Cabin list for the "SKY" ?

mr jailerman

We had balcony stateroom 9057 on our back to back (Aug. 18 and Aug. 22). Room was great location... just down the hall from elevators and up the aft stairs to pool, buffet, Cagneys, Plantation Bar. Toilet and A/C were working.

It was a great cruise. I'll be writing more review details later but for now I need to get my desk cleared a bit since I just got back.

We had balcony stateroom 9057 on our back to back (Aug. 18 and Aug. 22). Room was great location... just down the hall from elevators and up the aft stairs to pool, buffet, Cagneys, Plantation Bar. Toilet and A/C were working.

It was a great cruise. I'll be writing more review details later but for now I need to get my desk cleared a bit since I just got back.

Thanks "Why Knot" Great Info..:)

We were in 8278 on the 8/22 sailing of the Sky and had a great time. I'll post a more complete review when I get a chance, but as to the actual cabin, here are my thoughts:

1. Not spotless, but adequately clean.

2. A/C and Toilets worked just fine.

3. Slightly funky smell in the hall, but didn't notice it in the cabin.

4. Mattress was very firm (not sure whether new or old) and we got some of the best sleep we've had in a long time.

5. The balcony and view of the wake are FREAKING AWESOME!!! We appeared to have newer deck chairs, but still a very small, older looking table...not complaining, just observing.

Can we go back now???:D

ee

I had switched from Midship to Aft a couple days ago and after your MINI- review I just switched to #8278 !! :D So when you get time, PLEASE write a more detailed review and a few Photo's would be EVEN better !! Thanks and welcome back home..:)..Kurt..

...I'll check to see if I have any pics, but I kinda doubt it. We tend to enjoy the moment and feel that the mind's eye is always kinder than the camera.

The cabin is small, but aren't they all? The only inconvenience I noticed is that when Hubby and I were both trying to get ready at the same time, we'd be practically climbing over each other trying to get into the closets and bathroom. (Specifically, you can't open one of the closet doors and the bathroom door at the same time.)

We loved the balcony, especially at sunrise!! Our first morning, we awoke just as the sun was coming up and I went out to have a look around. When I looked straight up (something that you could'nt do from a midship balcony, I expect), I had a spectacular view of the moon drifting above an enourmous storm cloud that was colored bright pink by the sunrise...with a rainbow running right through it!!! Amazing...

We'd saved our sparkling wine, and as it was Hubby's b-day, I went up to the buffet and procured OJ, french bread, brie and fruit and we enjoyed the gentle morning sunshine with our champagne sunrise breakfast as we backed into port at Nassau. Again, one of the perks to the Aft balcony cabin. I kid you not...if I said "Wow!" once while on that balcony, I must have said it a hundred times.

We liked being not too far from the staircase which would take us up to the buffet/pool deck or down to the Crossings and Stardust, so that we didn't have to wait for the elevators all the time, as well.

I hope you have as great a sailing as we did. Let me know when you get back!

ee

...I forgot you asked about the balcony furniture. I didn't see other cabins enough to compare for sure, but as we were waiting in line to go through immigration I looked up at the ship, and it looked like the balconies on that side had older looking deck chairs, but the same tiny tables. The chairs on our balcony were made of blue mesh and were quite comfy, in my opinion. Just be sure to wipe them off as they'll get sooty. (We learned that after we'd already sat in them in our nice white bathrobes that were in the cabin...I hope it comes out alright.:o )

Enjoy!

ee

...I forgot you asked about the balcony furniture. I didn't see other cabins enough to compare for sure, but as we were waiting in line to go through immigration I looked up at the ship, and it looked like the balconies on that side had older looking deck chairs, but the same tiny tables. The chairs on our balcony were made of blue mesh and were quite comfy, in my opinion. Just be sure to wipe them off as they'll get sooty. (We learned that after we'd already sat in them in our nice white bathrobes that were in the cabin...I hope it comes out alright.:o )

Enjoy!

ee

:D Thanks for the great info..:D As long as the A/C works great with a good toliet and a view like that, no one can really complain for what these Balcony rooms cost ($) Did you Buy the wine or bring it with ? This is my first with NCL as I have been on RCI and Carnival . When you get a chance how about one more look for those photo's (PLEASE:o :D ) Thanks once more for the great info and take care..

The AC worked well, but I do suggest keeping your curtains closed when you're not in the cabin (and leaving a note for the steward to do the same). That Caribbean sun is intense! Even with good AC, a few minutes of mid afternoon sun without the protection of the curtains will heat the cabin up mighty quickly.

The sparkling wine was delivered before our arrival as part of the Anniversary package which cost $79.00. It came with six nice chocolate covered strawberries, dinner for two w/ a bottle of wine at Le Bistro, and a cute little plate of teeny, tiny canapes delivered later in the cruise. (There was also a "cake and champagne" party included and a 5x7 photo, neither of which did we take advantage of.)

One other suggestion I'll pass on which you may or may not be interested in. On Nassau, we just wanted to kick back and relax, so we bought the day pass at the British Colonial Hilton which is just a couple blocks to the right when you leave the dock. It was so peaceful! A pleasant pool and beach with hammocks in sun and shade. You can use their kayaks, etc... It was a nice "photo op" as well as their beach looks toward the docked cruise ships. The only drawback was that drinks cost as much as they did on the ship! We nearly had the place to ourselves though, which was nice.

I'll look for some photos...

ee

The AC worked well, but I do suggest keeping your curtains closed when you're not in the cabin (and leaving a note for the steward to do the same). That Caribbean sun is intense! Even with good AC, a few minutes of mid afternoon sun without the protection of the curtains will heat the cabin up mighty quickly.

The sparkling wine was delivered before our arrival as part of the Anniversary package which cost $79.00. It came with six nice chocolate covered strawberries, dinner for two w/ a bottle of wine at Le Bistro, and a cute little plate of teeny, tiny canapes delivered later in the cruise. (There was also a "cake and champagne" party included and a 5x7 photo, neither of which did we take advantage of.)

One other suggestion I'll pass on which you may or may not be interested in. On Nassau, we just wanted to kick back and relax, so we bought the day pass at the British Colonial Hilton which is just a couple blocks to the right when you leave the dock. It was so peaceful! A pleasant pool and beach with hammocks in sun and shade. You can use their kayaks, etc... It was a nice "photo op" as well as their beach looks toward the docked cruise ships. The only drawback was that drinks cost as much as they did on the ship! We nearly had the place to ourselves though, which was nice.

I'll look for some photos...

ee

:) Thanks .. :)

We had 9037 on the 8/29 three day cruise. Our ac worked great...we froze to death! :D Our toilet worked like a charm, also. The shower had fabulous pressure.

We had the new mattresses. They were very hard. One thing we noticed about the bed is that it is short. We have a normal mattress at home and my DH has never hung off the end. His feet hung right off the end of the bed when he was at the very top! He slept curled up a tad bit.

Our balcony chairs were those old ones like in Storm15's picture. It made it hard to get comfy, but we spent a ton of time out there.

This was our first NCL cruise. We have been on five Carnival cruises. One thing I noticed was our room was not immaculate like on past cruises. I will chalk that up to the new crew. We had sticky areas on the desk and bedside table that were never cleaned. We would not use the glasses in the room because one was sitting on some spilled pop the whole time. The carpet needed to be cleaned and vacuumed.

I know this thread is about the staterooms, but I don't want to come off as negative and I know that alot has been said about the new crew. We loved freestyle dining! We had no wait to be seated every evening. Our dinner was always served quickly by wonderful staff. The buffet staff were always so friendly.

We took advantage of the future cruise reward and have been using our NCL credit card since July, so we will be cruising with NCL again!

Anyone stayed balcony 0202 on the norway deck?

Reading some of the reviews I am scarred this will actually be a Honeymoon and Birthday Cruise for my new hubby. THanks and anyone going on this cruise?

Has anyone stayed in 9221 since Mike/Lee got back in July? I wondered if they had had a chance to put in the new mattresses in that cabin yet (when they went they still needed the egg crates put on). Also, I heard that the balcony furniture was falling into disrepair so I wondered if that had been replaced. Thanks!:p

I'm staying in this cabin on tomorrow's sailing. :eek: I guess I'll find out shortly.

We recently returned from the August 29 sailing of the Sky. Our original cabin, 9017 did not have a/c (not a breath of air and so humid there was sweat on the mirrors). The in-cabin safe did not work. We were temporarily moved to 8220, which was ice-cold and everything was in working order (no balcony). Finally, we were moved to cabin 9212, which was perfect. Everything was in working order and the a/c was c-o-l-d. NCL was great...very concerned and extremely helpful. Overall, just a minor inconvenience that was quickly remedied. Thanks NCL!

Has anyone any experience of this cabin? We are sailing on the Oct 17th 3 nighter. Is it the same as the photos so kindly posted earlier in this thread. I phoned NCL yesterday and asked to upgrade ( at my cost) and was told the ship was fully booked. I am not sure I believed the lady, we were not able to book this cruise through our TA in the UK so it has not been an easy experience. I am delighted to see that they are sorting out the teething problems.

Mickb

---------------

89 QE2 Bermuda

90 QE2 Cruise to nowhere

00 Maasdam W. Caribbean

01 Veendam E Caribbean

02 Mercury W.Caribbean

03 Seven Seas Voyager W.Mediterranean

03 Seven Seas Voyager W.Caribbean

04 Prinsendam Transatlantic

05 Queen Mary2 Transatlantic

06 Queen Mary2 Transatlantic

Good Luck and write a detailed review of the cabin when you get back ok ?:D Have a great trip.. Might make for good Kite Flying wind down their this week..:D

Well, I'm back from the 9/5 sailing of the Sky and I'm happy to report that everything in 9221 is OK. Whatever problems they may have had in the past, seem to be fixed now. The stateroom was clean, the A/C was ice cold, and plenty of hot water. I'm not sure what the old balcony furnitrue looks like versus the new balcony furniture so I can't comment on that. I did take some pictures and I will post them as soon as I upload them to my computer.

This was my first cruise and I had a blast. The staff was very nice and helpful. Granted, I have nothing to compare it too, but I was very pleased. The food in the main dining room was awesome, and I didn't even bother with any of the alternative dining options. I did notice though that Cagney's was booked solid every day. I'll have to give that a try next time.

The only disappointment was the change in itinerary. They cancelled the visit to GSC due to Hurricane Ike, and we ended up at sea the entire day. The weather was amazing and we still had a great time. BTW, Tim Kominski was hilarious. I believe this was his last sailing on the Sky, and I hope he returns at a future time.

If you guys have any questions, fire away while everything is still fresh in my mind. :)

Well, I'm back from the 9/5 sailing of the Sky and I'm happy to report that everything in 9221 is OK. Whatever problems they may have had in the past, seem to be fixed now. The stateroom was clean, the A/C was ice cold, and plenty of hot water. I'm not sure what the old balcony furnitrue looks like versus the new balcony furniture so I can't comment on that. I did take some pictures and I will post them as soon as I upload them to my computer.

This was my first cruise and I had a blast. The staff was very nice and helpful. Granted, I have nothing to compare it too, but I was very pleased. The food in the main dining room was awesome, and I didn't even bother with any of the alternative dining options. I did notice though that Cagney's was booked solid every day. I'll have to give that a try next time.

The only disappointment was the change in itinerary. They cancelled the visit to GSC due to Hurricane Ike, and we ended up at sea the entire day. The weather was amazing and we still had a great time. BTW, Tim Kominski was hilarious. I believe this was his last sailing on the Sky, and I hope he returns at a future time.

If you guys have any questions, fire away while everything is still fresh in my mind. :)

Great to hear that you had a good time ! :D I will be waiting for those photos when you get a chance. Welcome home and now you have time to plan your second cruise.:)

Any photos yet ??:D

Any photos yet ??:D

OK, I guess you guys waited long enough.

My first view of the stateroom.

DSC09865.jpg

Pic of the balcony. As stated before, I'm not sure if these are new or old.

DSC09868.jpg

Leaving Miami...

DSC09897.jpg

Busy day at the port in Nassau. Locals were very sleazy. I must've been asked at least 4 or 5 times if I wanted any weed. Not to mention buying their jewelry, or getting my hair braided, and on and on and on.

DSC09960.jpg

View of Atlantis from our balcony.

DSC09964.jpg

Great pictures!

Our suite room 9001 had no issues except the bottom jets on the hot tub did not work. (oh woe :D ) It was supposed to be fixed on 9/05 - ??

Our friends in 0236 had toilet issues twice, promptly fixed the first time and the second time was disembarkation day so they don't know if the engineers ever showed up or not.

OK, I guess you guys waited long enough.

My first view of the stateroom.

DSC09865.jpg

Pic of the balcony. As stated before, I'm not sure if these are new or old.

DSC09868.jpg

Leaving Miami...

DSC09897.jpg

Busy day at the port in Nassau. Locals were very sleazy. I must've been asked at least 4 or 5 times if I wanted any weed. Not to mention buying their jewelry, or getting my hair braided, and on and on and on.

DSC09960.jpg

View of Atlantis from our balcony.

DSC09964.jpg

Great Photos !! Thanks Very Much !! :)

Archived