Problem using our laptop on Rotterdam

cruiservictor

Want to let you know about a big problem I had using our laptop on our recent Rotterdam cruise.

We have used the laptop on several cruises (including the Noordam last year) and in several hotels without incident. For the first week or so on our Baltic cruise on the Rotterdam, I could not get it to reliably connect to their wireless internet system. Sometimes it would connect for a few seconds and drop, sometimes it would not connect at all. The internet manager tried to help but was unable to get it to work.

Because we were in a suite, I appealed to the concierge in the Neptune Lounge. She put me in touch with the ship's IT officer. He took the laptop for a few hours, and when I got it back he had updated the driver for the Dell wireless connection utility. After that I connected each time.

The version is now 4.100.15.8, and that version is the most recent one for my type of laptop, an Inspiron B130, and is available for downloading on Dell.com.

You may want to check your laptop if it's a Dell and you are planning to take it on a HAL cruise.

Victor

I too had problems connecting my laptop to the wireless system on the Rotterdam. I was not able to conntect to the router in the expolations cafe. I was told by the nice young man behind the desk in the explorations cafe that the wifi router in cafe was not working correctly and that I should go to another part of the ship.

I went to the Oceans bar and had no troubles connecting there. I also did not have any problems connecting in my cabin.

Rick

I too had problems connecting my laptop to the wireless system on the Rotterdam. I was not able to conntect to the router in the expolations cafe. I was told by the nice young man behind the desk in the explorations cafe that the wifi router in cafe was not working correctly and that I should go to another part of the ship.

I went to the Oceans bar and had no troubles connecting there. I also did not have any problems connecting in my cabin.

Rick

Thanks Rick. They made me aware of the problem in the Explorations Cafe. However, my problem occurred everywhere, until the IT officer fixed it.

Thanks, Victor. Would you happen to know what type of wireless adapter you have? (Mine, for example, is an internal WLAN 1450). Thanks.

When I go into "computer management", it says Dell Wireless 1470 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI card.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! My husband's MacBook died so now he's having to use a Dell. (Both from work.) So we might have to take the Dell with us, depending on how long it takes Apple to fix his other computer. I have printed out the info and put it in my file to take with us.

We upload our photos to the laptop every single night while cruising as I am paranoid about picture-loss, and we still have young children at home who expect an email now and then, so leaving it at home is not an option.

Robin

Archived