Can we make it to the plane on time??

Solstice Girl

Hi everyone!

This is our first cruise leaving from Europe. My question is about getting to the departing flight on time. We are to arrive back in Civitavecchia (Rome) at the end of our cruise. They state the ship gets back at 4 am. The flight we are looking at leaves Rome at 11:15. Would we be able to make that?? Plus since we are doing our own air, what about transfers to and from the airport to the ship? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Hi everyone!

This is our first cruise leaving from Europe. My question is about getting to the departing flight on time. We are to arrive back in Civitavecchia (Rome) at the end of our cruise. They state the ship gets back at 4 am. The flight we are looking at leaves Rome at 11:15. Would we be able to make that?? Plus since we are doing our own air, what about transfers to and from the airport to the ship? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

That's going to be tight. What you need to find out is not so much when you get back -- but when will they first start letting passengers off the ship? I'd be surprised if it was at 4 a.m.!

Then you'd also have to find out how soon you need to be at the airport. Ij the US of course they're still saying "2 hours before departure". If that holds true for Rome, you'd need to be there by 9...but certainly at least by 10 a.m.

So you'd need to be SURE to get into the first group off the ship (the cruise line usually tries to group people by when they need to make connections).

Transfers are usually only arranged by the cruise line for folks who book air and/or hotel with them. If you've done that independently, you'll have to transfer independently .. usually there are cabs or other similar public transports at the docks in most places.

........Transfers are usually only arranged by the cruise line for folks who book air and/or hotel with them. If you've done that independently, you'll have to transfer independently .. usually there are cabs or other similar public transports at the docks in most places.

We have always been able to buy a transfer on the ship (tour desk) when doing our own air. They don't care who made the airline reservations. Just go to the tour desk sometime during the cruise and I am sure they will sell you a ticket.

Hi everyone!

I think it is too early and would not book it then. It is quite a ways from Civitavecchia to the airport. It is at least a 45 min to hour ride. We embarked in Rome and traveled from Rome to Civitavecchia and it was well over an hour. Also you should probably add time if traveling on a work day.

Even though you arrive at 4am, doesn't mean you will be able to depart the ship soon after. They still have thousands of bags to unload, immigration to get through. I suggest if you are going to try to make it to do self disembarkation (carry your bags off).

You should also plan on getting your own transportation (taxi / van) and not depend on the ship's shuttle. Those buses always wait until they are filled before leaving.

Do not book a flight that early.

All though the ship may dock at 4 AM -- the local authorities will probably not arrive at the ship until after 7 AM to clear the ship for disembarkation.

Also the longshoremen won;t arrive that early to unload the luggage from the ship.

Really need to book an afternoon flight.

I would go with an afternoon flight to play it safe.

Also, if you contact the Cruise Line, some of the cruise lines will let you know what is the earliest time of the flight they would recommend booking.

Bottom line though go with a later flight.

Keith

We flew on Delta on a noon flight that we booked through the cruise line. We had the smoothest disembarkation ever and we were at the airport at 9:30. But the check in line at the airport was a zoo. I'd try to find out what the earliest flights the cruise lines are booking and make a decision based on that.

You need to be at the Rome airport at LEAST three hours before your flight departs. That airport is probably one of the worst for checking in and security lines. It's terribly crowded and you could stand in lines for at least one hour each. It's about an hour ride from the port to the airport, longer if there's a traffic accident, which is common on those roads. I would take the later flight, just in case.

Transfers are usually only arranged by the cruise line for folks who book air and/or hotel with them. If you've done that independently, you'll have to transfer independently .. usually there are cabs or other similar public transports at the docks in most places.

That’s not correct at all – I’ve done it lots of time. I live in LA but the ship leaves out of San Pedro and our flight arrives back in LAX so I park at LAX and take the transfer. Coming from an airport you just give them a flight you could have been on and that’s what time they expect you.

Our two times coming back from Rome we were on Delta 10:10 AM departure and made it from the cruise ship (carnival Freedom one year and Liberty the other year) in plenty of time. Had at least 45 mins. setting at the gate waiting.

We used the cruise line transportation. In one case the airline was through Carnival in the other independent.

Hope this helps.

Wow I don't think I could handle that tension but if you want you can request priority early disembarkation and arrange one of the earlier cruise bus transfers with the purser. Remember that is at peak traffic time in Rome and you are advised to be at the airport 3 hrs prior to an international flight.

Our two times coming back from Rome we were on Delta 10:10 AM departure and made it from the cruise ship (carnival Freedom one year and Liberty the other year) in plenty of time. Had at least 45 mins. setting at the gate waiting.

We used the cruise line transportation. In one case the airline was through Carnival in the other independent.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure I would be feeling any too secure with only 45 mins. sitting at the gate. On some international airlines they want you at the gate at least a 30 - 45 minutes before the scheduled boarding, not the scheduled departure. I've flown out of Rome 6 times, and agree with most of the other posters. You just don't know what traffic will be like, whether the Italian officials clearing the boat will be anywhere close to on time, etc., etc. And, Rome airport can be total chaos...not just the security lines; but, some of the gates require taking a metrorail once you've gotten through all the other lines. IMHO, why take the glorious feeling from being on the ship and swap it out immediately with the tension of whether you'll make your flight. If forced, I've actually stayed overnight in Rome after the cruise, rather than chance making an earlier flight.

i'm also flying out of rome after docking at 4am. i customized air and was told the earliest flight they'd allow was 10am. mine leaves at 10:10. i chose cruise line transfers so they know when i need to be off the ship! (i hope!)

I'm not sure I would be feeling any too secure with only 45 mins. sitting at the gate.

I agree. In the world of air travel, 45 minutes is no time at all.

I've actually stayed overnight in Rome after the cruise, rather than chance making an earlier flight.

This is an excellent choice, and the one the poster should take.

Archived