How Many Formal Nights?

PCruzer

My husband and I are doing our first 14-day cruise on the Oosterdam in Feb. How many formal nights should we anticipate? This cruise is going from San Diego, through the Panama Canal, and ending up in Fort Lauderdale. There are 6 port calls. I am thinking maybe 4 formal nights. Anyone out there know?

My husband and I are doing our first 14-day cruise on the Oosterdam in Feb. How many formal nights should we anticipate? This cruise is going from San Diego, through the Panama Canal, and ending up in Fort Lauderdale. There are 6 port calls. I am thinking maybe 4 formal nights. Anyone out there know?

You should anticipate four formal nights on a 14-Day cruise.

As a rule, there are two formal nights per each seven days on a cruise with HAL.

jtl513:

That exact thing happened on the Veendam sailing last Nov. Can't exactly use that extra formal for casual night either.:rolleyes: But better to be prepared I guess!!

You take a different formal for each night??? I use a black dress and fancy shawls. easier, and very satisfactory.:) But i gave up being a fashion plate long ago.:rolleyes:

I keep hearing people refer to the formal nights as listed on the documents. Where exactly is this on our docs?

Thanks!

When you get your blue packet from Hal, inside will be several books. One will say "your travel documents," In that they list a welcome, contents, arrival information, also itinerary and more. On the itinerary page it will listed your itinerary for your cruise, below this information is listed Dining with the information on the number of Formal nights and Casual nights on your particular cruise. Hope that helps......

I keep hearing people refer to the formal nights as listed on the documents. Where exactly is this on our docs?

Thanks!

PathfinderEss described where to find to find the info ... but note that it does not say there when those nights will be.

PathfinderEss described where to find to find the info ... but note that it does not say there when those nights will be.

In my experience the formal nights are usually on sea days. You have all day to prepare.

that said, let me add some reassurance here.

There are NO FASHION POLICE. Relax! this is supposed to be enjoyable and fun. Once you are sitting down, no one can see what your skirt or pants look like. Sure there are people out there who will judge you, but who cares. You are perfect just the way you are.

Find something dressy and beautiful and comfortable and go have fun!!!

PathfinderEss described where to find to find the info ... but note that it does not say there when those nights will be.[/quote]

Hi John:

I sure wish that it did though so that we would know in advance of embarkation for purposes of booking alternative dining venues as soon as we board!

How soon upon boarding would one be able to discover exactly when the formal nights would happen?

Thanks everyone for the information. We are going to figure on 4 evenings being formal. I do bring something different for each formal night. We've been on many cruises over the years, so I have some to choose from.

Doone! It's really good to hear from you. Hope all is well by you! I retired in July, so you know what that means....More time for cruising!

PathfinderEss described where to find to find the info ... but note that it does not say there when those nights will be.[/quote]

Hi John:

I sure wish that it did though so that we would know in advance of embarkation for purposes of booking alternative dining venues as soon as we board!

How soon upon boarding would one be able to discover exactly when the formal nights would happen?

Not John, but I'll try to answer, first thing when you get on board, usually up around the lido pool area, there will be the PG wait staff, the wine guys, etc. The PG waiters will have lists of the days for passenger sign up's and they always seem to know which nights are formal. Also in your cabin, when you get in, there will be info for you and that info will be there, too.

What we have found, like other posters, on 7 day cruises the first formal night is on the first full day of sea travel and the last night of full sea travel. So like if you get on Saturday usually the first formal night is Sunday night and the last formal night is Thursday night. They never have them on the first or last night, that I know of. Now as far as longer cruises, just remember they usually have them on sea days, not port days. Sometimes they can have one on what I call a short port day. Like when you leave around 1 or 2 PM. Now that I've totally confused you, I'll quit now....

Cruise Formal Nights

There are people who hate getting dressy. Then this evening won’t be any fun for them. We gratefully send them to alternate dining.

Then there are people who are intimidated by this and they only need reassurance. Let me be the one to reassure you.

So my definition is: Formal nights are dressy extravaganzas; Long flowing gowns [or pants], sequins, sparkles and men looking better than anyone expected in their well-fitting tuxes. It is grown-ups dressing in a way that they seldom get to do at home. We eat together in an atmosphere where we act our best.

So here are the rules:

• Find something spectacular to wear.
  • Be sure it is comfortable and fits well
  • Be sure you like how you look when you wear it.
  • Be sure your mate tells you how good you look.
  • Wear it with confidence and aplomb.

Some ways to pull this off

• THERE ARE NO FASHION POLICE
  • Remember that most of the others there tonight will not have done this either.
  • Remember that you cannot embarrass yourself unless you cooperate. Using the right fork is NO BIG DEAL.
  • Pretend it is a costume ball
  • Pretend you are someone who does this all the time
  • Pretend that you are the [humble] honored guest
  • Believe it will be fun

repeat as needed.

1032531965_Dinnerkarenglindachris.jpg.464d41948c4e20c93a7cf648d7c6d59c.jpg

024_21A.jpg.0ef8e45794768bd3aedaaf9d17e1bf9d.jpg

GroupPic.jpg.204625c3ff0f5a9fa631ff68b3e0a997.jpg

Hi John:

There's usually been for me a daily program in the room before dinner the day of embarkation that specifically states the formal nights.

I'm not sure why you ask, as booking alternative dining venues has nothing to do with formal nights - formal nights are throughout the ship, so unless you go to the Lido or dine in the room (neither of which require advanced booking) formal night is formal night.

Archived