Miserable Captains Club Perks

marvin

Deelliteful---This is the exact reason I asked my question. On one of our recent cruises, we were talking to a couple who said they sent in a bag of laundry on the ship; and they were amazed at how the clothing came back. Everything was on hangars and looked like they had been pressed.

However, to hear that it is not a consistent practice on ships sheds a different light on the issue. Oh, I just wish for the good ole days when I could bring as much luggage as my heart desired:D without thinking about the airline's rules!!!:eek:

Our experience has been that if you send a few things to the laundry, everything comes back pressed and on hangers.

If you are using the special "stuff all you can in a bag", your clothes will come back folded. The special is good for your unmentionables, socks, and night clothes (and is a good value), but not for your slacks and shirts.

Garry

After reading all these posts I decided I'd refresh my memory and went to the Celebrity/Captain's Club site. First thing I noticed was that they've eliminated the one cat upgrade for insides and ocean views! When did that one disappear?

On our last cruise (Galaxy TA in May), we used the "stuff all you can in a bag" for $15 Elite coupons & our friends did the same for $20 Select. We both used this twice during the 16 night sailing since we were staying 4 additional nights post cruise. Both times everything came back folded, pressed, & on hangars where appropriate.

Maybe it depends on the ship.

On our last cruise (Galaxy TA in May), we used the "stuff all you can in a bag" for $15 Elite coupons & our friends did the same for $20 Select. We both used this twice during the 16 night sailing since we were staying 4 additional nights post cruise. Both times everything came back folded, pressed, & on hangars where appropriate.

Maybe it depends on the ship.

On our recent Holland America and Royal Caribbean Cruises, they offered a "stuff all you can in a bag" laundry special on a few days during the cruise and every passenger on the ship could take advantage of that offer.

Celebrity's best perk is the price of its cruises.

On our recent Holland America and Royal Caribbean Cruises, they offered a "stuff all you can in a bag" laundry special on a few days during the cruise and every passenger on the ship could take advantage of that offer.

Celebrity's best perk is the price of its cruises.

I don't know where you price your cruises, but I have found that, if anything, Royal Caribbean is comparable or more than Celebrity, generally speaking. In fact, in searching for potential cruises, I alomst always disregard Royal Caribbean because they are, IMO, always overpriced.

Some Hand washing is out for me, it's not a vacation if I have to hand wash clothes and then put them out to dry in my cabin area. yuk.

Not me! I wash our bathing suits out whether we plan to wear them again on the cruise or not. I am pretty compulsive about this. :o

I don't know where you price your cruises, but I have found that, if anything, Royal Caribbean is comparable or more than Celebrity, generally speaking. In fact, in searching for potential cruises, I alomst always disregard Royal Caribbean because they are, IMO, always overpriced.

Hi richsea :)

That is exactly what I meant when I said that Celebrity's best perk is the price of its cruises.

Royal Caribbean has better perks than Celebrity but Celebrity, more often than not, has lower prices for comparable itineraries. I have also found that Royal Caribbean charges a premium for its best ships, even though it does have some good deals on its older ships.

On our last cruise (Galaxy TA in May), we used the "stuff all you can in a bag" for $15 Elite coupons & our friends did the same for $20 Select. We both used this twice during the 16 night sailing since we were staying 4 additional nights post cruise. Both times everything came back folded, pressed, & on hangars where appropriate.Maybe it depends on the ship.

We have done this too on several ships and I'm afraid Celebrity lost money on us. I can pack a bag with the best of them. For $15 it was such a deal and we were quite satisfied.

That being said, we did the same thing on Carnival and I vow "Never again!" Clothes looked like they had been boiled, waded up, and stuffed right back into the bag--they were even damp. YUCK. :eek: I had to throw one shirt away because it couldn't be fixed.

I appreciate all of you who have different solutions to the laundry problems and the lack of self service laundry facilities. I never implied that Celebrity does not provide great service on their cruises, however I still maintain their perks for Elite cruisers; of which I am one, is still a joke. Marvin

The real truth is you pay one way or the other. The numbers crunchers have it figured out. If they can make you feel you are getting something free all the better for them. I always choose a product I like and consider the value for what I pay and if there is anything extra it's just a little frosting on the cake. The first thing I consider is how good the cake is.:)

I agree with you, Ma Bell. For us, the free Custom Air waiver is the best perk (when we like Celebrity's air package, and it happens sometimes) and for something that is much more meaningful than a so-called perk is that Celebrity listened to the vast majority of clients and took the bold step of enacting a strict smoking ban.

That means a lot more to us than wine tastings, internet minutes, etc.

That's what will keep us coming back to Celebrity.

I too have long given up on trying to scale back what I pack. I bring what I want, and if there are additional baggage fees involved...I pay them, and enjoy the flight.

I agree with the sentiment, but the best I hope for is that I can tolerate the flight. "Enjoy" and "flight" just don't belong in the same sentence.

I agree with the sentiment, but the best I hope for is that I can tolerate the flight. "Enjoy" and "flight" just don't belong in the same sentence.

Bob, oh to have the good ole days back again....sigh. There are only so many things you can control in life...so I've learned to relax, and not "sweat the small stuff". And a $25.00 overage fee is small stuff, on the grand scale of things.

I think its unfair expect the cruise lines to give you free Landry because the airlines are charging for a second case or if one can't stay within the wait limits. One should look for an airline within the US that does not charge for cases, like Southwest. We have 70+ cruises with X since 2000 and have always been within the weight limits for flights. Our longest has been 35 nights. Granted they did not charge for the second case. Now that they are, it just becomes part of the cruise. Landry is not that much and certainly less than the cost of over weight cases. Perks, service, food, comfort of rooms, friendliness of crew, grandness of itineraries are all very subjective subjects. None of which by them selves would be a cruise breaker. However, we have not had a combination yet that would have. ~ Ric

Archived