Need private tours - help!!

We had a wonderful time in Capri with Capritime tours in June. Spent part of the day walking the towns and took the chair lift/cable car in Anacapri. Then we spent the rest of the day relaxing on a boat (just us with our guide and the boat captain), did some swimming in the Med and toured thru the grottos, back on the ferry and back to the galaxy. Great day.

----------------------

Helen

For Naples, Amalfi coast, Sorrento area try

www.aptours.it We spent the day with them during our port stop and had THE BEST DAY !!!!

You can customize your day however you like. Highly recommend them. If you do a "search" on this forum for APTours - you will see many people have had a great day with them.

We used Mariano of Pleasant tours. There were 10 of us in a very comfortable air conditioned mini bus. The scenery is breathtaking. Mariano is a wonderful driver and we never had to worry with the crowds or the hairpin turns. He'll tailor the tour to your requests spending as much or as little time as you want. He doesn't get ruffled even when the road was closed beause of a fire. He just went around the other way. We ended up having a delicious, inexpensive lunch at his family's restaurant enjoying food and wine from their farm. I highly recommed his services.

We booked a private tour with "drivesorrento" and would highly recommend them. However, we had researched many of the companies previously mentioned, and would have felt comfortable going with them 2 years ago, (but we had to settle on one) and since people are still recommending them is a great sign. Get ready to be "wowed."

Try Salvatore Lucibello with DriveAmalfi. He comes highly recommended.

I agree! Our trip last year wouldn't have been the same without our WONDERFUL day of the Amalfi Coast had we not booked with Salvatore!! He took care of everything for us! Our Med cruise was the first cruise I booked private tours & was a little scared...but after reading these boards & getting lots of info, I was so happy we did. Saved lots of $$ & our family had the BEST time seeing this beautiful country.

We're looking for private drivers for tours in Portofino, Amalfi/Positano, and Sorrento/Capri. We would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

Just got back from the Emerald. We had two wonderfuly drivers/vans from Romeinlimo. Yes they do Naples too, and very very well!

It was a full day starting at 7:30 and ending near 5pm. It included Pompeii in the morning, Amalfi, a wonderful leisure lunch at a resturant in Pontone overlooking the coast and valleys, then on to Ravello. The tour didn't include some additional parts of the Amafli as a large portion of the roads are currently closed due to risk of landslides. A plus was that traffic was light all along the way and we had extra time in Amalfi and Ravello, both very rewarding.

Happy Planning!

Just got back from the Emerald. We had two wonderfuly drivers/vans from Romeinlimo. Yes they do Naples too, and very very well!

It was a full day starting at 7:30 and ending near 5pm. It included Pompeii in the morning, Amalfi, a wonderful leisure lunch at a resturant in Pontone overlooking the coast and valleys, then on to Ravello. The tour didn't include some additional parts of the Amafli as a large portion of the roads are currently closed due to risk of landslides. A plus was that traffic was light all along the way and we had extra time in Amalfi and Ravello, both very rewarding.

Happy Planning!

Dear Chipmaster and Others Who Have/Will Return in 2008 from Naples Port,

Could you expand on where roads are closed (above Ravello? beyond Amalfi?) seems that you visited Amalfi (the church there?) and had lunch in Pontone (above Ravello?).

Reading the one posting of a cruiser who took a private tour just to Pompeii in the am and then to nearby Sorrento (not the Amalfi coast) and missed her ship (!) I'm being vigilant/maybe paranoid about 2 hours 8:30/10:30am in Pompeii and then drive to Amalfi and Ravello with lunch probably at the discretion of the driver (Mariano Fiorentino of Pleasant Travel). Did you have time to visit Positano (on the way to Amalfi, or on the way back to the ship). Do you automatically drive through or around Sorrento?

Am envious of your Emerald experience, will be on the next in line (Ruby) and will be in Naples port 1 June!

Cordially,

David

If you are referring to a recent post that I am thinking of.......

the road was closed do to an accident. The poster missed her ship as the traffic was locked up due to this not because they were closed for repairs etc. If you have a reputable tour company they know where the roads are closed....and will take alternate routes. But an accident can happen anytime - anywhere and cause huge jams. Even then with cell phones in everyones hands in Europe.... the guides can even know about this occurance and avoid bad traffic and take an alternate route back to port if not already in the jam.

We recently returned from our med cruise on the Emerald Princess. We used amalfi-drive limousine service and I would highly recommend them. Our guide for the day was Luigi and our guide for Pompeii was Franco. Both were amazing!! We were a group of 15 from the CC boards and we were picked up promptly by Luigi after our ship docked in Naples and went to Pompeii first before it was too hot. Franco was our private guide for 2 mesmerizing hours! Even the teenagers in our group were fascinated.

After Pompeii, we were driven to the Amalfi coast and along the Amalfi drive. The scenery was beautiful. Along the way, Luigi pointed out various interesting sights and told us some stories. We then visited Positano and were shown around by Luigi and given some free time for shopping.

After Positano, we were taken to a restaurant where amalfi-drive had arranged for our group to have a price fix lunch. The 13 Euro price included a brushetta appetizer, pasta entree, cake with ice cream for dessert, all our beverages and tax. The food was delicious!

Then, we headed to Sorrento and had some free time shopping. I could have used more time here but we were limited because we decided to take the last hydrofoil out of Sorrento to get back to our ship in Naples rather than risk being stuck in traffic on the drive back. If I had to do it again, I would have taken my chances with the drive back along the amalfi coast. The hydrofoil was hot, extremely crowded and not what we expected.

Other than that, we had one of the best days of our awesome vacation.

Their web site is amalfi-drive.com and our contact was Fabrizio.

Wendy

Dear Chipmaster and Others Who Have/Will Return in 2008 from Naples Port,

Could you expand on where roads are closed (above Ravello? beyond Amalfi?) seems that you visited Amalfi (the church there?) and had lunch in Pontone (above Ravello?).

Reading the one posting of a cruiser who took a private tour just to Pompeii in the am and then to nearby Sorrento (not the Amalfi coast) and missed her ship (!) I'm being vigilant/maybe paranoid about 2 hours 8:30/10:30am in Pompeii and then drive to Amalfi and Ravello with lunch probably at the discretion of the driver (Mariano Fiorentino of Pleasant Travel). Did you have time to visit Positano (on the way to Amalfi, or on the way back to the ship). Do you automatically drive through or around Sorrento?

Am envious of your Emerald experience, will be on the next in line (Ruby) and will be in Naples port 1 June!

Cordially,

David

From what I can tell there are three main routes into coast Amafli. ( I'm no geography expert, just my google maps before posting )

1) One on the on the West thru Positano

2) One inbetween Amalfi and Positano

3) One East of Amalfi / Ravello

We came down 2). Our driver pointed out the path/road along the coast toward Postiano, West and said we wouldn't go that way this time because of closure and risk of long delays. It sounded like that was the nomal route. I did see the signs at the juncture that I didn't comprehend. From there , we went East along the coast toward Amalfi and later to Ravello. Of note, I didn't see any buses and traffic seemed very light in Amafli and Ravello compared to what I was expecting. Amalfi on the other hand was packed at the beach with what looked like local tourists. We also didn't come back the way, we went instead taking a road past Ravello that had NO traffic.

We did get back just in time. So if the other tours were out there I don't know when and where. Every other port I saw the familar princess tour crowds with their trademark stickers so I can only assume most didn't make this trip

It was a long driving day but a favorite as the views even on the half of the coast we did drive was spectular! Even the boys admited the views were cool.

Cheers

We used Rome In Limo to visit Positano and Sorrento and they were fabulous. Vincenzo was our guide, and touring with him was like seeing the sights with an old family friend. We told Vincenzo about what we wanted to see and do and he made it all happen for us. We had a spectacular time with Vincenzo and his attentive service was beyond compare. In fact, when he found out how much I loved cherries, he even surprised us with a large bag of them to take back to the ship. Rome In Limo made our port visits in Italy the best part of our Mediterranean cruise and I recommend them highly. Have a wonderful time!

When you travel the Amalfi Coast, you will want to be up high, to see over the walls. Make sure you book a mini van or take an excursion on a bus. The government is only allowing buses on the Amalfi Coast until January 2009! Take advantage of a great view by riding on a bus...if you can! You won't be able to later on, because it won't be an option

The government is only allowing buses on the Amalfi Coast until January 2009! Take advantage of a great view by riding on a bus...if you can! You won't be able to later on, because it won't be an option

This is what our private guide had told us when we were there last Nov.

They can't keep the roads in good shape with the big buses on them all the time.

I can't imagine riding on those roads in a big bus :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Visiting Sorrento on the Azamara Quest last month, we booked a private tour of the Amalfi Coast with Gianpiero, a Sorrento native.

http://www.gianpierofiorentino.com/

Starting from the dock in Sorrento, we enjoyed the drive up the Amalfi coast with stops in Positano and Ravello. Then there was a wonderful lunch in a local family restaurant in the hills above Poisitano.

I highly recommend Gianpiero.

Archived