Sandals at Dinner Redux

CintiPam

I wear orthodics all day long due to bone spurs in one heel. I have read the previous threads regarding the "no sandals" rule at dinner, but was unable to open for my viewing the shoe pictures in the last thread on this subject on my computer.

So, are fairly plain Naturalizer leather sandals (with only a small flat heel growing to about one inch at the back of the sandal) acceptable? I have both black and white pairs which I would like to use for dinner after a full day in my clunky walking shoes, but these are definitely not fancy strappy sandals. Yet these definitely are not beach or hiking sandals either.

Thanks in advance for your help. Packing tomorrow for Monday flight to Istanbul and Friday boarding Nautica!

Don't worry! As long as you aren't wearing tennis shoes or the cheap plastic flip-flops, you won't have a problem.

Not sure where the heck this "no sandals" stuff started but it's just not true. I've been on Oceania 6 times and have never had a problem.

Relax and have a good time in your comfortable shoes!

Karen

My feet are very crippled and I wear Crocs. Otherwise, I'd be in a wheelchair. No one even gave me a second glance. I was dressed very nicely otherwise. I wear long skirts to hide my legs, so maybe they were hard to spot.

Don't worry, you will be fine.

Karen

Thanks, Karen and Karen, you have relieved my mind a lot!

The personalized Cruise Vacation Guide booklet sent by Oceania last month specifically says on the first page under "Dress Onboard" that sandals are not permitted in the three restaurants (as well as the more understandable shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear).

Yes, I have read that thread, as well as more than 1,700 others have. As a retired attorney, I affirm that you have no legal recourse under the contract, but certainly the bad publicity on these forums alone hopefully will result in some response.

That said, when many itinerary changes and other bad things happened last summer on my Scandinavian trip with Grand Circle Travel (travelling specially with my sister), although at the last stop, the local GCT representative spent the afternoon with us to hear all of our group's complaints, that is all that happened. She never had the courtesy to respond to us, although I had her card and emailed her multiple times. After multiple emails to GCT, the only result after two months was an email of a separate apology to each specific point I raised, and not a thing more, just repetitious we're sorry, we're sorry. So I voted with my feet, and will not travel with them again, my only recourse.

I hope to enjoy my first cruise, and plan to go with the flow.

Cordially,

Pam

Yes, I have read that thread, as well as more than 1,700 others have. As a retired attorney, I affirm that you have no legal recourse under the contract, but certainly the bad publicity on these forums alone hopefully will result in some response.

That said, when many itinerary changes and other bad things happened last summer on my Scandinavian trip with Grand Circle Travel (travelling specially with my sister), although at the last stop, the local GCT representative spent the afternoon with us to hear all of our group's complaints, that is all that happened. She never had the courtesy to respond to us, although I had her card and emailed her multiple times. After multiple emails to GCT, the only result after two months was an email of a separate apology to each specific point I raised, and not a thing more, just repetitious we're sorry, we're sorry. So I voted with my feet, and will not travel with them again, my only recourse.

I hope to enjoy my first cruise, and plan to go with the flow.

Cordially,

Pam

Thanks for the info. I absolutely understand there's no legal recourse as you said. However I believe the cruise line could've done a much better job with back-up plans (an extra hour of Happy Hour tot make up for an unplanned sea day?) to keep their customers placated. So we'll see.

I am very interested in what you said about GCT. I have been thinking about doing their Eygpt trip next year as I heard it was really good. Any comments on that?

As before, smooth sailing and let us know how it went when you get back.

Tina

We've been with GCT 4 times and overall, each experience has been quite good.

GCT's air department can be difficult to work with, but when (and if) you become "Inner Circle", the air department is much more agreeable.

GCT does offer some good price values, I think.

And I apologize for contributing to thread drift.

Leaving tomorrow, so am in midst of packing and joy!

Unfortunately, I would have to say that more than 50% of the problems we had with GCT were what I considered discrimination against women travelling with women. We lost a day in Oslo, had our hotel changed and downgraded in Bergen with no notice, et. al, common to all of us. But the horrible crowded room assignments, home hospitality assignment, etc. definitely were because we were two women travelling together. (This cruise, and all of my other overseas travel previously have been with my husband.) The room assignments particularly were lousy for the two other sisters travelling together consistently so it was not simply luck of the draw. That said, GCT is good value, our tour director was fabulous, but many mistakes were made, including my telling GCT several times in advance that I am allergic to fish, but every single tour-provided meal I had to reiterate it and often ate after everyone else.

To go back to the sandals issue -

You should be fine with the Naturlizer sandals. I wore Propet leather sandals and Birkenstock kinda' dressy sandals and had no difficulty.

I think O is trying to avoid flip-flops and Birkenstock walking type sandals.

On our Oceania cruise, I wore my brown suede leather Mephisto sandals to dinner each and every night. They're not "dressy" or "strappy" (and some might think they look rather Birkenstock-like, although they're not quite as clunky) because my right foot is arthritic and unable to tolerate anything even hinting at fashionable and needs the support. (My other option is Brooks orthopedic sneakers.) I wore lovely tea length, casual but pretty dresses, and from the ankles up, I looked pretty good.

No one said a thing to me as I made my way into the Grand Dining Room. No one made me feel odd or "less than".

Oceania's clientele is older. Older people have more problems with their feet than younger people. Therefore, accommodations have to be made for our failing bodies as we get older - and Oceania gets this, in my experience.

Have a great cruise.

Susan

• 6 months later...

I normally wear black "athletic" type shoes because of a physical problem--can't really walk in dress shoes, and don't wear dresses because they look stupid with those shoes, walk with a cane or crutches. However, I have very classy pants and jackets, and I've worn my black "athletic" shoes with a long formal evening dress. Am I in for trouble on our cruise?

I normally wear black "athletic" type shoes because of a physical problem--can't really walk in dress shoes, and don't wear dresses because they look stupid with those shoes, walk with a cane or crutches. However, I have very classy pants and jackets, and I've worn my black "athletic" shoes with a long formal evening dress. Am I in for trouble on our cruise?

GenyaGR, I've only had the one cruise (another booked for June), so I really don't feel qualified to answer your question. I did not see anyone wearing sneakers or tennis shoes to dinner last September.

Hopefully, a more seasoned Oceania lady regular can respond more knowledgably.

GenyaGr, I doubt you will have any trouble.

We once witnessed a matron in flip flops refused entrance to the GDR (she was 75 if she was a day old and should have known better), and we have many times seen ladies asked to leave Polo or Tuscana if their blouses were too revealing......they generally ask that the lady return wearing a jacket over the offending garment.

Conversely, we have also met ladies who refused to eat in Polo because they found it too chilly.....even when they were wearing long sleeves

Men have it easier on Oceania, as long as they are clean and the naughty bits are covered up, it's all go.

What on earth can be offensive when a woman wears a revealing blouse.......and who on earth would have the temerity to ask her to leave.

I have seen many attractive and in fact not so attractive women revealing much cleavage in all the Restaurants and have never heard any request that they leave.

There would be an almighty row if this happened to my Wife.

Brian

We have sailed on Oceania many times and have only ever seen one person turned away from the dining room, as he was clearly underdressed in shorts and jandals.

Common sense generally prevails, and if ladies turn up nicely dressed I would extremely surprised if they were turned away because they were wearing "comfortable" sandals. I very much doubt their feet will even be noticed. However, if a lady turns up in shorts, T-shirt and sandals then she will be refused admittance.

I always wear nice sandals to dinner on board and have never had a problem and have often seen people wearing what may be considered "comfortable shoes" because they have a problem with their feet. I have never seen anyone refused for wearing revealing tops but that is just my experience.

I have always found the staff very polite and discrete so if you feel anxious about your shoes I would talk to them and put your mind at rest.

We had a very long thread going on this topic for a Connie TA. It was amazing how many people have to wear orthodics which just do not fit in "strappy" or dress shoes. We had a picture taken of 9 ladies all with the same style of Sketchers strapped mary jane sneakers. I went so far as to take a black magic marker to the white trademark and these are my only "dress" shoes. I am sure that there will be no problem. Even Crocs seem to have taken a new acceptable status when feet are swollen from touring. I found all cruise lines seem to be "understanding" along the footwear line. I only notice because I mind not being able to wear the pretty shoes that I so would like to wear. Keep in mind the warning that often it is a very long way from room to dr or pool etc. Have a great trip and don't worry about your shoes no one else will worry about them either.

GenyaGR,

I tried posting this once before, so if it becomes a repeat -- Sorry.

I cruise with my Dad. He uses a cane and needs to wear "athletic" type shoes to be able to walk safely. He purchased a pair of black ones before our first Oceania cruise after reading about the "dress code" for the dining rooms. He was never turned away from any dining venue on Oceania. As long as the shoes are black, you will be fine.

Leave your formal wear at home. The lack of formal nights is one of the nicest things about cruising with Oceania.

Enjoy your cruise!

Connie

Archived