Changing flights at Chicago airport

bendog

Hi my husband and I have to change flights at Chicago airport could someone please tell me what is it like a that airport? We are travelling from Heathrow to Chicago and then onto San Deigo. What happens when we get to the airport for transfer onto next flight.? Many thanks

You will most likely have to change terminals from internationl to a domestic terminal. Hopefully your bags will be checked through to your final destination. You will need to collect them to go through US Customs, however, I do know that at Washington Dulles Airport you just drop them aagain just past the customs inspectors. O'Hare is my home airport so I'm not sure how it works on a connecting international flights.

There is a monrail (free) which will take you from one terminal to the next. It is very well marked as to where you go to pick up the train and which terminal you will be going to. You will also have to pass through an airport security check at the domestic terminal.

I agree with everyone else allow plenty of time to transfer from your international flight to the domestic Chicago is a huge airport was there back in March and I had to run from one end of the airport to the other to make my connection only had 40 minute connect due to arriving late in Chicago got a workout that day as I connected from a Delta flight to a United and United change gates on me 3 times run the length of the United terminal twice.

Christine

We are travelling from Heathrow to Chicago and then onto San Deigo. What happens when we get to the airport for transfer onto next flight.?
We can't give you the exact details unless you can give us the airlines you're flying on.

But it will almost certainly be something like this:-

1. On arrival at Chicago (at the international terminal), clear US immigration.
  2. Collect your baggage.
  3. Clear customs.
  4. Immediately after customs, give your bags back to the airline that's taking you on to San Diego.
  5. Exit the terminal, and head for the inter-terminal shuttle train.
  6. Take that train to the terminal from which your onward flight departs.
  7. Clear security.
  8. Go to the gate for your onward flight.

Hi Globaliser, It says BMI, which I believe is British Midlands. It is the return journey I am more worried about as we leave San Deigo at 13.01 arrive Chicago 19.15 and have to get the Heathrow flight at 21.05.

Hi Globaliser, It says BMI, which I believe is British Midlands. It is the return journey I am more worried about as we leave San Deigo at 13.01 arrive Chicago 19.15 and have to get the Heathrow flight at 21.05.

which airline are you flying on your SAN-ORD and ORD-LHR legs? Knowing that we can give tips too about making it from one flight to the next.

In looking at things though, you have -just- enough time to make that transfer at ORD.

Are you on United between San Diego and Chicago, given you are on BMI back to LHR?

Since you are leaving US it is much easier than ENTERing US, because you dont need to clear immigration when leaving the country.

In this case your luggages will checked thru and you do NOT need to collect your luggages when making the connection at Chicago.

It says BMI, which I believe is British Midlands. It is the return journey I am more worried about as we leave San Deigo at 13.01 arrive Chicago 19.15 and have to get the Heathrow flight at 21.05.
Well, these days I think bmi likes to be known as bmi! :D

As far as I can see, both your flights (London to Chicago, Chicago to San Diego) will actually be United Airlines flights, not bmi flights. bmi simply puts its code onto the UA flights.

This means that your London-Chicago flight will arrive at the international terminal (Terminal 5). You will probably have to head for Terminal 1 for your onward Chicago-San Diego flight.

When you return, you will probably remain in the same terminal (Terminal 1) for both flights as I believe that UA departures to London go from Terminal 1 even though arrivals are handled at Terminal 5. So two hours will be ample, if nothing dramatic goes wrong.

A UA/ORD expert should be able to confirm these terminal numbers.

Since you are only concerned about the return, I will comment only about that leg. (All the info given you by prior posters is spot on :), but some of the info is specific to the outbound.)

As noted earlier, your bmi flights are operated by United. You will transit thru O'Hare Terminal 1 on your return flights bmi 4291/4480 (aka UA 654/938) from San Diego to Heathrow. For this transit, you will not need to clear immigration and customs, nor collect and recheck luggage, nor go thru security (as is needed on flights entering the US). You will merely deplane at arrival gate of first flight, then stroll to next gate for boarding of next flight. Boarding for flight to LHR will begin about 45 min prior to departure time, so you will probably have time for a cool beverage (try Berghoff's Cafe near Gate C26). They may change gates before your date of travel, but yesterday your same flight arrived at gate C25 and departed from C10.

Flights never arrive or takeoff on time from OHare. This is the worst airport for ontime arrivals and takeoffs. Give yourself at least 2 hours and if you can pick another airport to switch planes, I would suggest Washington Dulles over OHare. (I'm guessing you are flying United)

Thankyou to all of you who have been so helpful with your replies. It has really put our minds at rest. Going out seems to be more trouble than coming back but at least we will have 5 hours to find the place where we have to be for the ongoing flight to San Deigo.

I recieved a letter today which said ,this time, United Airlines, as you all so rightly said.

So all I have to do now is wait until we go.

Once again thanks to you all

Brenda xx

We just came back from an overseas flight through Chicago (to Copenhagen, not Heathrow). You should be fine on your return flight, since you will not need to go through Customs in Chicago. Don't waste too much time, however. You will need to get to terminal 5 (the international terminal) and you can use the rail for that. You will already be familiar with it since you travelled through on your way to SD. Once you are in terminal 5 you will need to go through a security check (show your passport etc.) but your luggage will be already checked through so no trouble there. We had 3 hours layover but that was plenty of time to correct our boarding passes (we had to go back to the ticket counter), grab something to eat, get online to set up various email accounts and other things, and wait for 1/2 hour before boarding. I think you will be fine. Coming in, you will need to go through Customs and Immigration but since you have plenty of time there is no need to worry. Once you clear Customs there is a pickup for all United checked luggage. In fact we had ours piled on a cart and they just took the cart. It was quite easy. Just keep your travel documents handy, it seemed like we were constantly having to pull them out.

We just came back from an overseas flight through Chicago (to Copenhagen, not Heathrow). You should be fine on your return flight, since you will not need to go through Customs in Chicago. Don't waste too much time, however. You will need to get to terminal 5 (the international terminal) and you can use the rail for that.
To clarify for the OP: This is not the case.

Your Chicago to Heathrow flight (operated by United) will depart from Terminal 1, as stated above.

nabby, that's misleading.

I have been passing through O'Hare for years and do not dread the experience. I'm always amazed that it works as well as it does. Yes, I have had delays but I have to say that most of the time it operates pretty well. Much better than Heathrow or JFK in my experience. In fact, when a lo-cost carrier called JetBlue decided to base themselves in JFK, I thought they had gone mad, completely mad. Events have proved me right.

nabby, that's misleading.

I have been passing through O'Hare for years and do not dread the experience. I'm always amazed that it works as well as it does. Yes, I have had delays but I have to say that most of the time it operates pretty well.

Same here. Far too much unnecessary scaremongering ('my one flight through ORD was delayed 2hrs, DO NOT fly through O'Hare or on United, they are the WORST airline in the world' type comments) about O'Hare. I've flown through it many times and even on 40min connections my bags have made it every time. I'm usually pleasantly surprised flying through ORD, even with tight connections in January!

Many thanks for all your help. I am not looking forward to going from Heathrow so if Chicago is bad then I will be used to it by then. Not to worry. But now I have a plan to go by when I get there it will be a lot easier to find. Many thanks for all the directions.

I am not looking forward to going from Heathrow ...
You shouldn't find Heathrow to be that much of a problem. United has now moved from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1, so that is where you need to go (but do double-check that just before you fly). By all accounts, the overall experience at T1 is now not bad.

BTW, if you need to eat at T1, the top tip is Giraffe.

To clarify for the OP: This is not the case.

Your Chicago to Heathrow flight (operated by United) will depart from Terminal 1, as stated above.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. We had to go to terminal 5, but that is probably because we flew the overseas section of our flight on SAS, not United. I really don't think the OP will have any problems then. I also noticed that almost all flights were arriving/departing on time when we went through.

Archived