Help, You can work out time zones etc

Shogun

Hi Folks,

Help please I am going mad trying to work this out,

we leave our house at noon on the 17th fly to England, we fly out of England that night at 22.10 and arrive Hong Kong at 18.00 so we have travelled back in time.

We then board our second night flight of the 17th and take of at 21.20 and arrive Auckland 13.05. on the 18th

So how many hours since I left home.

Then on way back its worse

We stay bye bye to the Diamond and Aus, on the

8th at 8.35am (check in is 5.35am a very silly time)

we arrive Hong Kong 14.50 on the 8th

we take of at 14.55 on the 9th ( thought 5 minutes was a bit short for a connecting flight) and arrive England on the 9th at 20.15pm we take of for home at 8.55am on the 10th and arrive home at 11.00am

so again how many hours.

yours Shogun

Shogun,

Where are you flying from? When are you going (daylight savings affects times)?

I believe your flight to HK is overnight, so you arrive in HK on the 18th, and in Aukland on the 19th. Verify your tickets.

I think HK is 7 hours ahead of the UK and 6 ahead of most of western Europe. Auckland is 2 hours ahead of HK.

Shogun, if you are traveling east, you are traveling forward in time, not back, until such time as you cross the date line, which on the itinerary given should not be an issue.

On the bounce back, if you typed the date and times correctly, you appear to have a one day layover.:eek:

To solve your airtime question, ask the airline for the flight arrival and departures in zulu time. do the simple math and you will get the duration times.:cool:

Hi Folks,

Am I getting this right or wrong

Leave England on 17th at 22.10 , 10 hours after leaving house Night flight fly for 12 hours add 7 for time zone

so local time is 18.00 on the 18th take of again 21.20 on 18th and fly for 13 hours add 2 for time zone so local time is 13.05pm on 19th

so Shogun will be leaving his house 12.00noon on 17th

10 hours before flight from England

12 hours flying Eng to HK

3 hours on the ground HK

13 hours HK to NZ

around 38 hours before I get from house to NZ assume I get up at 8.00am on the day of my trip and it takes around 3 hours to get of the plane, through airport and into a bed I will have been up for 45 hours.

I will never make it, will just fix a Princess luggage tag to my big toe saying Diamond Princess, Auckland please , handle with care.

yours Shogun

Why don't you go westward. Stop off and see some friends in the US, then check out Hawaii, then really lose a day, cross the date line and catch the ship in NZ.:cool:

You might get some sleep that way.

Then going home, keep going westward, and you won't lose so much time going home.

Hi Flynrph,

Do I have friends in the US ? or do I owe some one a drink, ?

where have you been ?, did you not see the problems I have hud with Princess they wanted me to arrive the day we sail giving me 5 hours safety margin,

Take care until we sail again,

yours Shogun

No, my bad, I didn't realize those others issues. Only 5 hours on a 45 hour travel time. Wow, you guys must really have your air travel system working like clock work. On this side of the pond, winter or summer, that might be close to the average delay! You ever stop in Chicago, I'll buy you and you lovely wife dinner.

As to where have I been, the business I do consulting for moved their shop this weekend, so I have been consumed with helping them out.

On another topic, the group I was with this summer are kicking around the British Isles and Ireland cruise for next year.:cool:

Hi Folks,

we leave our house at noon on the 17th fly to England, we fly out of England that night at 22.10 and arrive Hong Kong at 18.00 so we have travelled back in time. You have actually gone ahead in time. HK is GMT +8 hours, so it will be 06.10 in HK when you leave. You arrive at 18.00 so that's 12 hours (give or take 10 minutes) between London and Hong Kong. Total travel time to this point has been 22 hours.

We then board our second night flight of the 17th and take of at 21.20 and arrive Auckland 13.05. on the 18th New Zealand is 4 hours ahead of Hong Kong. When you leave HK the time in NZ is 01.20. That means you've got another 11-3/4 hours ( call it 12 hours)between HK and NZ.

So how many hours since I left home. 22 hours from your house to HK, 3 hours in HK, 12 more to Auckland is 37 hours. Dang!

8th at 8.35am (check in is 5.35am a very silly time) 01.35 in HK.

we arrive Hong Kong 14.50 on the 8th 13-1/4 hours from check-in to arrival in HK. Flight time appears to be shorter.

we take of at 14.55 on the 9th ( thought 5 minutes was a bit short for a connecting flight) and arrive England on the 9th at 20.15pm we take of for home at 8.55am on the 10th and arrive home at 11.00am 24-hour layover (who pays for the hotel?) Board flight at 06.55 London time, arrive 20.15, that's a little over 13 hours. Another 13 hours overnight and flying home in your regular time zone.

so again how many hours.

yours Shogun

Sounds like the trip home is roughly 13 hours Auckland to Hong Kong, 24 hours overnight, 13 hours to London, and another 13 to overnight in London and get home. That's 2 days and 15 hours. Eesh.

Hi Spongerob,

Go to the top of the class, As to hotel in Hong Kong we are paying, have also paid for hotel to collect and drop us of at airport as hotel is 1 hour drive away.

The bottom line is this is one hell of a trip.

Sure hope Aus and NZ are half as good as I think they will be, other half will be happy so long as she gets to cuddy a Kola Bear.

yours Shogun

Although I have crossed the International Dateline many times, I also find it confusing, particularly when you are trying to figure out elapsed time, as Shogun was.

Regardless, it is a long trip. It is bad enough from the San Francisco area to "down under".

Shogun, we think Australia and New Zealand are great places to visit. We are scheduled to fly to Auckland next Jan., to pick up Oceania's Nautica for a NZ/Aus cruise.

Having flown twice to Australia from Canada, once Vancouver, Honolulu, Sydney, the other Vancouver, San Francisco, Auckland, Brisbane, Noosaville (36 hours, from our door to the rental in Noosaville) my advice is this:

1) Throw away your watch.

2) Maintain a consistent blood alcohol content of .15 throughout........

Barry:D

Sounds like the trip home is roughly 13 hours Auckland to Hong Kong, 24 hours overnight, 13 hours to London, and another 13 to overnight in London and get home. That's 2 days and 15 hours. Eesh.

spongerob i bow to you....

and shogun-hopefully you have holidays booked for when you arrive home-sounds like you'll need them!

Go to http://www.dateandtime.com and you can plug in the hour at your starting point and it'll tell you exactly how many hours it'll be at your destination. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ This is a great site for determining time and date changes. When I'm putting together an itinerary for friends, family and pet sitter, I include not just the times I'm in port but the local time at home at those port times.

Go to www.dateandtime.com and you can plug in the hour at your starting point and it'll tell you exactly how many hours it'll be at your destination. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ This is a great site for determining time and date changes. When I'm putting together an itinerary for friends, family and pet sitter, I include not just the times I'm in port but the local time at home at those port times.
Oh, sure, do it the easy way...:)

Don't feel too bad, Shogun. We spent 18 hours getting home from our first cruise and that was only Vancouver-Oklahoma City. And we had no significant delays, just the wonderful schedule provided by Princess. You can easily while away the time just by imagining the rotation of the FalkirK Wheel. Boat goes up, boat goes down, wheel turns round and round...hey, that would be a good song!...you could spend literally minutes entertaining yourself this way. You're on your own for the rest of the trip, hope you have a good imagination.

Oh, sure, do it the easy way...:)
ROFL! I found this site when putting together the itinerary for my Sydney to LA cruise. With multiple time zones and crossing the International Dateline twice, I'm not sure even my daughter the math teacher could have figured it out accurately. OK, she could have but I sure couldn't. Actually, even the ship didn't have the time right when we crossed the International Dateline: everyone who had a wake-up call didn't get one but the next day, which was a sea day, the phone rang at 7AM or whenever they had scheduled it for the day before. People were not pleased.

Hi Folks,

we leave our house at noon on the 17th fly to England, we fly out of England that night at 22.10 and arrive Hong Kong at 18.00 so we have travelled back in time.

We then board our second night flight of the 17th and take of at 21.20 and arrive Auckland 13.05. on the 18th

So how many hours since I left home.

8th at 8.35am (check in is 5.35am a very silly time)

we arrive Hong Kong 14.50 on the 8th

we take of at 14.55 on the 9th ( thought 5 minutes was a bit short for a connecting flight) and arrive England on the 9th at 20.15pm we take of for home at 8.55am on the 10th and arrive home at 11.00am

so again how many hours.

yours Shogun

I'm getting a headache but I found this website...

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Good luck!!

Steve

Am I missing something? When I click on the dateandtime.com link, all I get is a bunch of ads to sell clocks, watches, calendars etc.
My error. I can't change the first link in my post... I transposed dateandtime.com with timeanddate.com. Use the 2nd link. My bad. :(

Archived