Best Affinity Credit Cards for Travel

SelectSys

In looking at the ongoing discussion of using Marriott points for airfare I was surprised to see how the exchange ratio has been skewed to favor airline miles over hotel points. I thought it used to be a straight one for one exchange. It isn't even close these days.

Have you changed your patterns of affinity card use as of late to reflect the changing relative prices of travel? What card would you drop if you only used two cards (1 business and 1 personal) between AAdvantage, AmEx Membership Rewards, and Marriott Reward? Why would you drop one card over the other two? Would you get two versions of the same card (e.g., Marriott Rewards) for both business and personal use? Feel free to subsititute your favorite airline and hotel program for AAdvantage and Marriott.

Thanks in advance.

In looking at the ongoing discussion of using Marriott points for airfare I was surprised to see how the exchange ratio has been skewed to favor airline miles over hotel points. I thought it used to be a straight one for one exchange. It isn't even close these days.

Have you changed your patterns of affinity card use as of late to reflect the changing relative prices of travel? What card would you drop if you only used two cards (1 business and 1 personal) between AAdvantage, AmEx Membership Rewards, and Marriott Reward? Why would you drop one card over the other two? Would you get two versions of the same card (e.g., Marriott Rewards) for both business and personal use? Feel free to subsititute your favorite airline and hotel program for AAdvantage and Marriott.

It really depends where you live, but I really like the Alaska Air CC

20,000 mile signup bonus (at least once/year)

3,000 miles renewal every year

1 $50 companion cert every year (but one ticket on AS metal, the 2nd is $50)

a bonus if you buy an AS ticket w/ an AS card.

And , you can collect and/or redeem on (deep breath) AS,AA,DL,CO,NW,QF,BA,AF,KL,CX,LA and a few more I don't remember offhand

SPG Amex

End of thread.

Not quite the end....Ditto on the SPG Amex.

For the winners of the recent Freddie Awards in the Best Affinity Credit Card category, go HERE. For the complete results, click on the "show me the numbers" link on that page.

The description of the winning SPG card and the runners up:

For the second year in a row, Starwood Preferred Guest American Express takes home the Freddie for Best Affinity Credit Card. The card wins with its favorable conversions to most frequent flyer miles, fee-free card the first year and the no-capacity controls award redemption. Diners reigned supreme in this category for nine consecutive years, but has fallen off the charts in the last two Freddie Awards. The top three credit cards mirror the top three last year with American Express Membership Rewards, a five-time winner, coming in at number two with its behemoth award program and the three-time winner Marriott Rewards Visa, finishing in the number three spot.

As for card usage, the SPG card gets me the options for hotel or air, depending on which is more useful for me at any particular time. The redemption rates for SPG are quite good, with nice properties. In addition, if you have sufficiently high spend, you are granted elite status without the required number of nights. It's my number one choice - followed by the AS Visa, which has MANY partners, as noted above. The Visa gets used when the merchant doesn't take Amex.

Well, again it depends if you want your points for other things;

Looking at the Freddies (and so few people this side of the Atlantic know how much Freddie Laker helped make low cost air available to so many).... I'll stick to my vote as 'best affinity credit card' given the other parts of the Freddies.... ALASKA AIR

ALASKA AIR:

6th Best Affinity Credit Card

4th Best Award

2nd Best Award Redemption

5th Best Bonus Promotion

2nd Best Customer Service

1st Best Elite Level

2nd Best Member Communications

1st Best Website

1st Best OVERALL

(and the fact that it's a VISA, not Amex, and available in Canada greatly sway my vote)

Archived