WINE-has anyone ever taken a "box" of wine onboard

sunneesmile

We are cruising out of Seattle on the Golden Princess on 9-13-08 and were discussing bringing a 3 Litre box of wine on board. Has anyone ever done this? Will the 3L box fit into the cabin refrigerator?

We have done this with a Margarita type box and it fit fine.

Not sure of the size. :)

I haven't but I have friends who have. :) This was just before our Sapphire cruise and yes, all of this was brought onboard.

Pam, I want to go on the same cruie with you if you have all of that good stuff.:D :D

Marilyn

(Hi Marilyn! Didn't we go on the Monarch together in May? (yes I know you live on that ship). We booked the 10/6 then canceled, then almost booked again when the prices dropped. Are you planning on going for the farewell tour?)

Sorry not about wine, let me make it about wine. I think I will have some, it's almost 5:00!

Oh and I like the idea of the margarita box too! Maybe I have a problem. :/

(Hi Marilyn! Didn't we go on the Monarch together in May? (yes I know you live on that ship). We booked the 10/6 then canceled, then almost booked again when the prices dropped. Are you planning on going for the farewell tour?)

Sorry not about wine, let me make it about wine. I think I will have some, it's almost 5:00!

Oh and I like the idea of the margarita box too! Maybe I have a problem. :/

H20 lover, sorry you must have me confused with someone else. No I have never been on the Monarch, I sail Princess but hi anyway.

Marilyn

I request the cabin steward, or butler if in a suite, to remove all contents of the refrigerator. They may grumble, but it will give you the entire refrigerator and if you remove that pesky middle refrigerator 'shelf', your box will fit nicely. Bonus, you will not be tempted to consume the refrigerator's contents nor will be charged for any, since they were removed by a crew member. Put your box in the lower portion of your checked luggage and you will be OK.

H20 lover, sorry you must have me confused with someone else. No I have never been on the Monarch, I sail Princess but hi anyway.

Marilyn

Ooops, see what happens? Oy vey, sorry about that. Well, maybe we'll sail on Princess sometime.

I request the cabin steward, or butler if in a suite, to remove all contents of the refrigerator. They may grumble, but it will give you the entire refrigerator and if you remove that pesky middle refrigerator 'shelf', your box will fit nicely. Bonus, you will not be tempted to consume the refrigerator's contents nor will be charged for any, since they were removed by a crew member. Put your box in the lower portion of your checked luggage and you will be OK.

Refrigerators on Princess are empty, so there is no reason to have someone remove the contents of them. The only time they have anything in them (besides the ice bucket) is if you book a full suite or are an elite member of the Captain's Circle, and even then, your bar set up is usually found on the counter not in the frig. I think you have Princess confused with another cruise line. ;)

We just got back from a week-long cruise on the Golden and took 2 five-liter boxes with us (there were six of us - with two different people packing the boxes into carry-on luggage). Wasn't a problem at all. The white fit into the fridge and the red stayed out!
Any recommendations for a good red!

Okay, I don't want to ruin it for everyone as Princess may get more strict about the box policy when they see this but I just have to share!

My entire family went on a cruise in June out of NYC. We are ALL major martini drinkers and we all drink Beefeater.

We met at my mother's house the night before the cruise and we were hanging out. My sister finished a box of wine and went to the store to get another one. Well, I came up with the great idea of smuggling Beefeater in the box of wine! We rinsed out the empty bag of wine, filled it with Beefeater, carefully sliced open the new box of wine, and put the bag of Beefeater in the new box. We then glued the top back together and walla, it looked like a brand new box of wine. We walked right on the ship and had martinis in our cabin the entire cruise.

Now mind you, the pour spout on the empty bag of wine does not come off! So we had to turn the nob and open it as much as possible, put the gin in a (new) ketchup squeeze bottle and squeeze the alcohol in. It took me about an hour to do but we were all laughing the entire time!!

I am usually one who looks down on smuggling booze on board and trust me, my bar bill on this cruise was still extremely high but we all just got a huge kick out of ourselves for doing this. It was really fun to watch the family members that didn't know it was gin react when we shared the "surpise".

We brought a bottle of Hendrick's Gin onboard...didn't even know this wasn't okay to do. No one said a word. We found, though, that even though we could make martinis in the room, it was more fun to have them made for us at Crooner's. We came home with 3/4 of the Hendrick's Bottle and a bar bill of 600 bucks for two people for one week:eek: My Mojitos at the adult-only rear pool was a major contributor to this, since I made them all doubles.

Archived