WINE-has anyone ever taken a "box" of wine onboard

sunneesmile

We will be taking a box each on our next cruises - I enjoy a vino while getting ready for dinner. It will also be nice to enjoy a glass or two on our balcony on sea days.

35 Degrees South is a really nice Chilean White that we enjoy. :) It's the fact you can drink one of your favourite wines that makes it worth while taking aboard.

• 2 months later...
Toto,

You didn't address me when you stated that in your OP...I just wanted to mention after reading your post what happened to us on our last cruise.

I guess some ships and or stewards do things differently at times. Just to let others know...that they can find items in their refrig. but not to worry..just let the steward know that they are not needed.

We usually find that the steward will place those items on the desk on the tray that holds the glasses, napkins, etc. We have never seen them in the refrig, but stewards have their own style!

Okay, I don't want to ruin it for everyone as Princess may get more strict about the box policy when they see this but I just have to share!

My entire family went on a cruise in June out of NYC. We are ALL major martini drinkers and we all drink Beefeater.

We met at my mother's house the night before the cruise and we were hanging out. My sister finished a box of wine and went to the store to get another one. Well, I came up with the great idea of smuggling Beefeater in the box of wine! We rinsed out the empty bag of wine, filled it with Beefeater, carefully sliced open the new box of wine, and put the bag of Beefeater in the new box. We then glued the top back together and walla, it looked like a brand new box of wine. We walked right on the ship and had martinis in our cabin the entire cruise.

Now mind you, the pour spout on the empty bag of wine does not come off! So we had to turn the nob and open it as much as possible, put the gin in a (new) ketchup squeeze bottle and squeeze the alcohol in. It took me about an hour to do but we were all laughing the entire time!!

I am usually one who looks down on smuggling booze on board and trust me, my bar bill on this cruise was still extremely high but we all just got a huge kick out of ourselves for doing this. It was really fun to watch the family members that didn't know it was gin react when we shared the "surpise".

Might have been a lot easier if you were to purchase some Rumrunners flasks and fill those up, put them inside the box leaving the empty wine bladder and spout in place and re-sealing the box. Looks like wine, weighs the same, but the product is Beefeater.

Might have been a lot easier if you were to purchase some Rumrunners flasks and fill those up, put them inside the box leaving the empty wine bladder and spout in place and re-sealing the box. Looks like wine, weighs the same, but the product is Beefeater.

Hmmm....smuggling liquor is not worth the trouble that SOX FAN went to. However, I brought the boxes of wine in my carry on bag, the cruise personnel looked at them when we checked in and nobody even questioned it.

Just had to add our two cents worth- we too had a box of wine on our Panama Canal Cruise, purchased in FLA prior to boarding, along with a number of other bottles. On the last night of our cruise, we had still not opened it, and could not bring it back home- so we brought it to dinner to share with our new friends. "Corkage" was difficult to determine....but the stewards poured it into water pitchers and shared around our table (and others). It wasn't pretty, or even approaching classy, but we had fun.

We took a 4l box of Black Box merlot on our recent 10 day on the Emerald. My wife did not like it that much, it is the first time we have tried Black Box. I thought it was alright. Since it was me drinking alone and in an inside statwroom that we did not spend much time in, we drank about half of it. Now, if it was something we both liked and we had a balcony, I could see us bringing 2 boxes.

Hi, we are travelling from the UK and staying overnight at the intercontinental west hotel in Miami prior to boarding the ship (Ruby Jan 17th 09).

I was going to bring a couple of boxes from home, but does anybody know if I could just buy them near the hotel or at the port itself.

Cheers

Davy!!! :)

Just had to add our two cents worth- we too had a box of wine on our Panama Canal Cruise, purchased in FLA prior to boarding, along with a number of other bottles. On the last night of our cruise, we had still not opened it, and could not bring it back home- so we brought it to dinner to share with our new friends. "Corkage" was difficult to determine....but the stewards poured it into water pitchers and shared around our table (and others). It wasn't pretty, or even approaching classy, but we had fun.

What a great idea to share it!

We took a 4l box of Black Box merlot on our recent 10 day on the Emerald. My wife did not like it that much, it is the first time we have tried Black Box. I thought it was alright. Since it was me drinking alone and in an inside statwroom that we did not spend much time in, we drank about half of it. Now, if it was something we both liked and we had a balcony, I could see us bringing 2 boxes.

WE were not sure abiout the boxes either, but we got lucky with wjhat we bought. We did have a nice balcony and another couple that we sailed with, so the wine was consumed for sure. I will do that again.

Hi, we are travelling from the UK and staying overnight at the intercontinental west hotel in Miami prior to boarding the ship (Ruby Jan 17th 09).

I was going to bring a couple of boxes from home, but does anybody know if I could just buy them near the hotel or at the port itself.

Cheers

Davy!!! :)

I don't have specific details, but I know that if you take a taxi from the airport, there is a store nearby and the taxi will stop for you if you ask them too. You could also contact your hotel and ask if there is store nearby.

Refrigerators on Princess are empty, so there is no reason to have someone remove the contents of them. The only time they have anything in them (besides the ice bucket) is if you book a full suite or are an elite member of the Captain's Circle, and even then, your bar set up is usually found on the counter not in the frig. I think you have Princess confused with another cruise line. ;)

Hi - we have cruised twice on Sea Princess and both times the fridge has been set up with soft drinks/beers/bottled water for charge before we have arrived.

Hi - we have cruised twice on Sea Princess and both times the fridge has been set up with soft drinks/beers/bottled water for charge before we have arrived.

Isn't that strange though? We have also sailed twice on the Sea Princess and each time our frig is totally empty except for the ice bucket. Guess this must depend on the room steward in your area????

OK - I resisted - but I have to post a story from one of our recent cruises.

Preface the story with the fact we (and our Roll Call) had read all the threads about bringing wine/booze onboard.

We had a very active and fun Roll Call group, mostly middle aged (and above) couples, with one couple that was much younger and much more lively than the rest of us :-)

One of the group had a mini-suite with the extended balcony that we all wanted to see, so they were kind enough to invite us to their cabin for a drink (BYOB) before we went to dinner as a group - it was formal night.

So there we were enjoying a sip of whatever was available in their cabin when we heard people coming down the hallway. We looked out and there was the younger couple, dressed to the nines in tux and formal gown, walking down the hall with their box of wine under his arm!

We laughed till we cried. Then we helped them empty the box.

On our cruise, be brought 2 boxes of wine and vodka in Rum Runner containers. After 9 days, we had used everything but the vodka. The Rum Runner containers worked great and made it back home to SC.

The box of wine fit very nicely in the frig.:D By the way, we did stop on the way to the port to buy the wine and vodka.

I have also found no problem with wine boxes. Bottles of wine have also been OK (they only seem to ask about spirits). We were in Junau in Sept on the Diamond and came back with 18 bottles of wine.....no questions asked!!

Here in Australia, another slang term for a winebox is 'Chateau Cardboard' (think about it!)

The correct name here for the winebox is 'Wine cask', generally come in 2 litres or 4 litres, although you can get 5 litre ones as well.

So if in OZ, call into the bottleshop (liquor store) and ask for a 2 litre wine cask, red or white and good quality wine, will cost you about AU$13 or US$8. Although if you are happy with a cheaper quality wine, still ok, then you could get a 4 litre cask for the same price.

Yes, there is no doubt about it, a little chateau cardboard works well in the cabin fridge.:p

Archived