WINE-has anyone ever taken a "box" of wine onboard

sunneesmile

Okay, I don't want to ruin it for everyone as Princess may get more strict about the box policy when they see this but I just have to share!.

hmm..... Sox, thanks for that great contribution to the "taking a box of WINE onboard" thread. Be sure and copy and paste that on every message thread where it does not pertain :rolleyes:

Refrigerators on Princess are empty, so there is no reason to have someone remove the contents of them. The only time they have anything in them (besides the ice bucket) is if you book a full suite or are an elite member of the Captain's Circle, and even then, your bar set up is usually found on the counter not in the frig. I think you have Princess confused with another cruise line. ;)

Sorry to have to respectfully disagree with you, however on our Golden cruise last year...in our OV room...we had soda and water in the refrig. We removed it and put it on one shelf in the closet. Told our steward what we did and on the last evening we put it back in the refrig...so there would not be a problem with charging us for it by mistake.

Maybe some ships do this differently.

Sorry to have to respectfully disagree with you, however on our Golden cruise last year...in our OV room...we had soda and water in the refrig. We removed it and put it on one shelf in the closet. Told our steward what we did and on the last evening we put it back in the refrig...so there would not be a problem with charging us for it by mistake.

Maybe some ships do this differently.

My apology. It just seemed strange. In 21 Princess cruises, we have never had anything but our ice bucket placed in the frig in our stateroom. Guess once in awhile you find a room steward that puts those items inside, but we have never encountered it and I thought you were confusing Princess with another line that stocks the frig, as this isn't the normal way they do this on Princess.

And we have sailed on most of the ships in the fleet, including the Golden. Interesting!

My apology. It just seemed strange. In 21 Princess cruises, we have never had anything but our ice bucket placed in the frig in our stateroom. Guess once in awhile you find a room steward that puts those items inside, but we have never encountered it and I thought you were confusing Princess with another line that stocks the frig, as this isn't the normal way they do this on Princess.

And we have sailed on most of the ships in the fleet, including the Golden. Interesting!

Toto,

You didn't address me when you stated that in your OP...I just wanted to mention after reading your post what happened to us on our last cruise.

I guess some ships and or stewards do things differently at times. Just to let others know...that they can find items in their refrig. but not to worry..just let the steward know that they are not needed.

Totot - Just got off the Emerald and the fridge had 4 sodas and a large bottle of water in it from the ship.....so it wasn't empty and we had a mini suite - just FYI.

Hummmm, maybe they are beginning to have them stock the frig now with those extras ($$$). Honestly, I have never found one thing in all our cruises in the frig, it has always been empty. But I admit, they change things all of the time, maybe this is change #658????

Thanks for the FYI!

I just want to say that this is the most informative Message Board I have read--AND THE FUNNIEST. I drink Fish Eye box wine all the time and my family makes fun of me. I too will take my box wine on board for my Oct. 11 Holyland Cruise and enjoy it. I would also like to know about the box wine margaritas. Cheers

Okay, I don't want to ruin it for everyone as Princess may get more strict about the box policy when they see this but I just have to share!

My entire family went on a cruise in June out of NYC. We are ALL major martini drinkers and we all drink Beefeater.

We met at my mother's house the night before the cruise and we were hanging out. My sister finished a box of wine and went to the store to get another one. Well, I came up with the great idea of smuggling Beefeater in the box of wine! We rinsed out the empty bag of wine, filled it with Beefeater, carefully sliced open the new box of wine, and put the bag of Beefeater in the new box. We then glued the top back together and walla, it looked like a brand new box of wine. We walked right on the ship and had martinis in our cabin the entire cruise.

Now mind you, the pour spout on the empty bag of wine does not come off! So we had to turn the nob and open it as much as possible, put the gin in a (new) ketchup squeeze bottle and squeeze the alcohol in. It took me about an hour to do but we were all laughing the entire time!!

I am usually one who looks down on smuggling booze on board and trust me, my bar bill on this cruise was still extremely high but we all just got a huge kick out of ourselves for doing this. It was really fun to watch the family members that didn't know it was gin react when we shared the "surpise".

Great idea! If I were a big drinker I'd follow up on that but we only pack a few small bottles in our carry on's which last us the entire cruise. I might have to if they begin to crack down. :rolleyes:

Hummmm, maybe they are beginning to have them stock the frig now with those extras ($$$). Honestly, I have never found one thing in all our cruises in the frig, it has always been empty. But I admit, they change things all of the time, maybe this is change #658????

Thanks for the FYI!

We've noticed the last few cruises that water and a few sodas are already in the cabin, but not in the fridge. Use 'em, and it will show up on shipboard account.

Filling a box o' wine with gin...too funny! I want to know how RedSoxFan gets his martinis into Fenway.

We've noticed the last few cruises that water and a few sodas are already in the cabin, but not in the fridge. Use 'em, and it will show up on shipboard account.

Filling a box o' wine with gin...too funny! I want to know how RedSoxFan gets his martinis into Fenway.

I'm strictly a beer man when I enter those hallowed halls. But I do have to walk a little farther to find the Sam Adams stand. :cool:

I save the martinis for before and/or after the game! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the cruise on the Golden. It was spectacular. Alaska....something everyone should experience.

The box o' wine....

We purchased two 3 litre boxes of wine in Seattle and put them onto our carry on duffle bag. They fit nicely. Not a word was said. I highly recommend the Corbett Canyon Cabernat Savingnon. We also purchased a Pinot Grigio, but the brand I can't recall. It was also very nice. We bought them for $9.99 each at the IGA grocery in downtown at 3rd and Pike.

We're gonna do that next time, that was great you did that and also shared with us :)

The Pinot Grigio you got was Casarsa. We got a pic of it, that's how I knew. That was yummy!

Thanks, Yvonne. I guess I had too much of it and killed too many brain cells....fried the memory!

The box o' wine....

We purchased two 3 litre boxes of wine in Seattle and put them onto our carry on duffle bag. They fit nicely. Not a word was said. I highly recommend the Corbett Canyon Cabernat Savingnon. We also purchased a Pinot Grigio, but the brand I can't recall. It was also very nice. We bought them for $9.99 each at the IGA grocery in downtown at 3rd and Pike.

Thanks so much for coming back and telling us that the box o'wine worked. That's what I'm thinking of doing in October. How heavy were the boxes? Thanks.

I took a 4 litre box of wine with me last year for the Alaska Cruise. As it was only 7 days, and I was mostly the one drinking from it....I had a heck of a time on the last day trying to finish it...yeah, I know...I didn't have to...but:eek: I was a bit sore the next morning for disembarking...but I survived... :D

I'll be doing the same for our next cruise in Jan, but there will be several others sharing and it's 10 days... :)

Hm, just happen to have one now..but unfortunatey it is not even close to being full...haha So no point in weighing it right?

Other friends coming with us have been laughing that I will be taking this with me....I will show them this link and see who is laughing now...haa

We took 3 liter boxes of wine on our April Transatlantic and it worked out great. We put them each in an extra large ziploc bag to seal them up in our luggage (larger than gallon size). Hubby took one in his carryon and I took the other in mine. They weighed about 7-8 pounds each.

Last December we went all over San Pedro, CA looking for 3 liter boxes and could only find the 5 liter ones prior to our Hawaii cruise. Ended up with the 5 liter ones and they were really too big to put two in the fridge. Should have taken the "bladder" out of the box like a previous poster suggested. Since we couldn't find the 3 liters that trip, we went ahead and bought at home and transported them to Ft. Lauderdale in April.

I just loved having my wine each evening before dinner, many times on the balcony waving to everyone as we sailed out of port. That was so much fun!

We took 3 liter boxes of wine on our April Transatlantic and it worked out great. We put them each in an extra large ziploc bag to seal them up in our luggage (larger than gallon size). Hubby took one in his carryon and I took the other in mine. They weighed about 7-8 pounds each.
Thanks for the weight, that's much better than carrying 4 bottles of wine.

Thanks so much for coming back and telling us that the box o'wine worked. That's what I'm thinking of doing in October. How heavy were the boxes? Thanks.

I have no idea. When I lifted them, they were half empty already becasue H20Lover and her hubby had been in our cabin! LOL

If you are flying and have any time prior to boarding the ship at the pier, I highly recommend just getting the boxes at the port. I hate to think about your clothes if the wine-bladder leaks in transit. Or if it leaks, what about every body else's luggage? I always try to seal my liquids in a "foodsaver" bag as opposed to a ziplock. I had hairspray leak in a ziplock once and "zip" came "unlocked". I had a few articles of clothing that were stiff that should have been soft, ya know?

If you are flying and have any time prior to boarding the ship at the pier, I highly recommend just getting the boxes at the port. I hate to think about your clothes if the wine-bladder leaks in transit. Or if it leaks, what about every body else's luggage? I always try to seal my liquids in a "foodsaver" bag as opposed to a ziplock. I had hairspray leak in a ziplock once and "zip" came "unlocked". I had a few articles of clothing that were stiff that should have been soft, ya know?

I would never bring it from home. If I can't buy it at the pier before we sail, I'll purchase it on the islands. Would never take the chance of red wine leaking on my clothes.

Archived