Cash Passport card?

eadien7

Has anyone had any experience with these? Seems just a little more expensive than using a personal debit card, without the risk of having your whole bank account with you. You can also buy in Euros, not sure if it would give you a better rate, but you would get the rate before you go.

http://www.cashpassportcard.com/us/index.html

Just a guess, as I have no experience with that card - probably just about any place that takes that card will take a credit card.

Also, ATMs are very available in the towns where you will stop, so it will be easy to get cash.

I've went and got my bank's version of the cashpassport. Basically the same thing except that they've got slightly lower fees. I discovered that as they are VISA credit essential, you can use them as credit card without incurring any extra charges! Currently I'm travelling all over Europe and I've been putting all my EURO and GBP purchases on the card rather than using them to take out money. It is very convenient as you don't have to worry about the exchange rate flatuating, what you've got on the card is the amount that you can use in the respective country, and you know what you've got.

I definitely recommend it, as long as you don't end up taking small amount of cash out through ATM. I think the same with Cashpassport you need to use the amount within 3 years, or take the remainding money out. Otherwise, after the 3 years, whatever you have left on the card disappears.

I checked out the Cashpassport, and I believe the conversion rates are much higher than available from other sources. According to my calculations (which sometimes leave a lot to be desired), in addition to the ATM transaction fee, there is over a 9% currency conversion fee. I believe that one can do much better through other institutions. I have found that most conversion fees run 3% or under. (My bank charges only 1% of the amount withdrawn.) Moreover, the primary bank accounts can be protected by linking the ATM card to a sub account with only a desired amount of funds in it. And charges to a credit card can be made for a surcharge of 2-3%. or less. I guess it pays to shop around!

Just discovered that they don't take cashpassport card or its equivalent on Avalon. Reason being it's not a personalised card and is considered a GIFT card rather than a credit card, even though it's clearly a VISA credit card. I've used it in hotels and department stores in Europe and had no problem.

So something to think about if anyone decides to use something similar for their cruise.

Archived