Questions about Cococay

MzItaly79

Last cruise on Majesty we missed cococay, i'm hoping we'll make it this weekend. Worried since the Ike will have passed a few days before, thinking the waters may be ruff. Any opinions on this? I know anything can happen, just wondering if our chances will be slimmer due to Ike.

Also I'll be taking my 5yo son and was wondering if they sell any kids sand toys on the island? or should i take our own. I'd love to sit and make sand castles for a while.

My son also loves exploring. Were there many shells on the beach? What animals/bugs other than the Iguana and the Rooster did you see?

Thanks!

I have never been to Coco yet but I have been to Princess Cays. Typically there is no sand toys. What we did for grandkids was to buy cheap ones at the dollar store and then we just left them on the beach for hopefully the next cruise to use. We didn't want to carry all that sand back to our room.

Linda

Last cruise on Majesty we missed cococay, i'm hoping we'll make it this weekend. Worried since the Ike will have passed a few days before, thinking the waters may be ruff. Any opinions on this? I know anything can happen, just wondering if our chances will be slimmer due to Ike.

Also I'll be taking my 5yo son and was wondering if they sell any kids sand toys on the island? or should i take our own. I'd love to sit and make sand castles for a while.

My son also loves exploring. Were there many shells on the beach? What animals/bugs other than the Iguana and the Rooster did you see?

Thanks!

We went on the nature trail which may be too long for your son to take the whole thing, but even in the first stretch of it that led to a very quiet little beach, we saw the chickens to go with the rooster mentioned above, but we also saw a hermit crab, tiny little crabs in tiny shells on the path, little lizards, a regular style crab in the water (before we got to the trail), and peacocks.

Here is a link to my pictures.

Our first trip to Coco Cay was less than a week after Hurricane Charlie in 2004(I think). The water was very calm but it was extremely murky and full of Jellyfish. I heard people saying it usually wasn't like that. Our second visit it was very clear and I don't remember seeing any Jellyfish but we did see a small shark.

Well i'll go to the dollar store and get the toys - another thing to stuff in the suitcase lol.

And sounds like he'll have a good time exploring (he's happy with ants so that will be great!)

Thanks for the replies and the pics!:D

Oh - I forgot about ants. After the nature trail I was very tired and fell into a hamick in the shade for a while. Once I cooled off a little, I noticed all the ants from the tree offering the wonderful shade all around me.

He'll have a blast! :D

Our first trip to Coco Cay was less than a week after Hurricane Charlie in 2004(I think). The water was very calm but it was extremely murky and full of Jellyfish. I heard people saying it usually wasn't like that. Our second visit it was very clear and I don't remember seeing any Jellyfish but we did see a small shark.

Our last two visits to CocoCay we have seen a small shark also. Where did you spot the one you saw? We were on the side of the island opposite from the ship in very shallow water. It was close to the shoreline where the kayaks (sp) take off.

Tim

We were there in June and saw a few stingrays actually our son stepped on one that had buried his self in the sand. It was very pretty there; the water was very clear but the water temps were quite cool it took some getting used to.

Hopefully Hurricane Ike hasn't destroyed the island.

For those leaving today and scheduled for CoCo tomorrow, I think getting there will be dicey.

Those like you and me sailing this weekend I think have a good chance of getting there. But there's not way to know for sure. Either way it'll be a fun time! :)

Our last two visits to CocoCay we have seen a small shark also. Where did you spot the one you saw? We were on the side of the island opposite from the ship in very shallow water. It was close to the shoreline where the kayaks (sp) take off.

Tim

That's exactly where we saw the shark.

Get your sand toys at the Dollar Store and put them in a little "carry on" for Son to carry and be responisble for. I know my kids always got a kick out of having their own thing to carry and be responsible for.

Good luck in being able to tender. We leave in about 6 weeks and are hoping to be able to stop also.

Archived