Wearing White after Labor Day

want2cruiseagain

I'm sure wearing white after Labor day on a cruise is appropriate. I have a darling white skirt that I'm thinking of taking. Thoughts?

Please respond quickly, packing and leaving Thursday...:p

Depends on where you're going. You left that part out.

If you're going to New England, Alaska or taking a transatlantic to the UK, then I think white cotton or linen is out of place. White wool gabardine is fine.

If you're headed for a tropical climate like the carribbean, then the rule doesn't exist - after all, it's the tropics. So if it's cotton or linen, bring it.

If you can bring a swimsuit and sandals, you can wear summer whites. :)

Yes, of course you can wear a white skirt on your cruise -- especially if your cruise goes to the Caribbean.

Personally, I am not too strict about the Labour Day rule, but I do stop wearing pure white skirts, dresses and trousers at the end of September. Pure white and linen fabrics are for summer, and unfortunately, summer does not last all year.

No, everyone does not wear white in the tropics all year round. The tourists do, the natives don't.

Everyone wears white all year round in the tropics--and that's where you're going! Join in--bring your summer clothes!

Maybe, but my Jamaican mother in law tells me that in Jamaica it's still more common for tourists. And God forbid, Jamaican women ever wear hose!

I have to offer a different observation based on personal experience.Been to the Bahmas twice in NOV and was there in AUG of this year.Every time I seen natives wearing something white.

White is now acceptable all year long - even in the midwest. That old white after labor day thing has been done years ago.

I agree!! I do tend to avoid white shoes when the weather changes but not white clothes( with the exception of tennis shoes ). I think its common to see current fashions in white year round these days. So glad someone ask this question because I have often wondered othes opinion of the topic.

I was just re-reading Oprah's mag from the summer, and the fashion guy in there said to pick up white jeans to wear all year round. They're dressier than regular denim.

He just said they're easier to find in the summer.

Most people don't really adhere to that old adage anymore, maybe some folks who are old school. But it makes me think of the movie Serial Mom with Kathleen Turner. She's in a Ladies' room with a girl wearing white shoes after Labor Day and says something. The girl pooh-poohs that fashion rule, and Kathleen ends up killing her for it. lol Obviously it was a comedy.

I still think pure white jeans looks tacky in December. Now, winter white or ivory is another matter, but pure white is a late spring and summer colour. It screams warm weather and sunshine.

Just because some fashion guru says this or that doesn't mean that the rules of good taste and common sense no longer apply. On the contrary, in today's world, I would love to see a little more common sense as it has become such a rarity -- along with manners and polite behaviour.

I still think pure white jeans looks tacky in December. Now, winter white or ivory is another matter, but pure white is a late spring and summer colour. It screams warm weather and sunshine.

Just because some fashion guru says this or that doesn't mean that the rules of good taste and common sense no longer apply. On the contrary, in today's world, I would love to see a little more common sense as it has become such a rarity -- along with manners and polite behaviour.

Wow - "good taste and common sense"? What does common sense have to do with wearing white in the winter time? Maybe back in the day when we didn't all have effective and efficient clothes washers to clean something that was white when it got dirty. So I shouldn't wear my white-white long sleeve button down cotton shirt now that it's September? Come on!

Women used to wear gloves and veils to church too. lol And it was once scandalous for women to wear trousers or show their ankles. I hardly think that wearing true white in the winter time is such a terrible offense now that we're in the 21st century.

Times evolve and so does fashion. And it appears that plenty of people listen to fashion experts or gurus or whatever you want to call them. How else do trends come about or things go out of style? (like leisure suits - thank God LOL)

Whether it is "good taste" or "common sense" or not, there are no seasonal color prohibitions or expectations in the Caribbean.

As for in the US, even vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin wore a white jacket over a dark dress during a campaign stop this very week (mid-September). Her glasses are said to be all the rage now, so maybe her use of white after Labor Day will help ease arbitrary seasonal color strictures on clothing.

pure white is a late spring and summer colour. It screams warm weather and sunshine.

Helloooo? You must not ever go shopping in the winter. The stores have plenty of "pure white", I have several white sweaters and jackets myself. The FABRIC is what is seasonal, not the color. :rolleyes:

Helloooo? You must not ever go shopping in the winter. The stores have plenty of "pure white", I have several white sweaters and jackets myself. The FABRIC is what is seasonal, not the color. :rolleyes:

I agree- it's all about fabric!!!

I will be on Mariner Oct. 5th cruise. If any of you see me be sure to say hello. I will be the tacky tasteless no good judgement woman wearing white capris and sandals while I'm on a cruise in the Caribbean.Hope to see you there!

I can assure you that I go shopping in the winter. But just because the stores carry something does not mean I will buy it. Jeez, certain stores carry neon-green latex dresses with black polka dots that doesn't mean I will buy one. Other stores (Nordstrom for example) carry high-heeled shoes for little girls -- according to the shoe sizes these girls could not be more than 7 or 8 years old. That doesn't mean I would buy them.

I still say that it's a mix of fabric and colour that makes an item seasonal. You can do whatever you want to do, and for all I care you can wear white sandals, a a white cotton sundress, and a straw hat in the Scottish Highlands in January. You'll blend in nicely with the snow-covered mountain peaks:D. It doesn't mean that I have to like it or do it myself.

P.S. BTW, I have yet to see pure white items (other than blouses, which can indeed be worn all year) in the stores in winter. I see a lot of winter white, ivory, cream, etc. I don't know where you shop, but I was at Harrods in London two weeks ago, which is a very nice department store, and I did not see anything in pure white other than the summer clearance items.

Wow - "good taste and common sense"? What does common sense have to do with wearing white in the winter time? Maybe back in the day when we didn't all have effective and efficient clothes washers to clean something that was white when it got dirty. So I shouldn't wear my white-white long sleeve button down cotton shirt now that it's September? Come on!

Common sense has a lot to do with it. Melted snow, particularly when stained with car exhaust fumes and other dirt, leaves very nasty stains.Also, not all items are washable. I wear lots of silk and wool, often lined, which cannot be laundered. Furthermore, I really don't think that washing machines in the US are particularly efficient. Most of my European friends complain that their clothes do not get very clean. BTW, white blouses are very different from a pair of white trousers. White blouses are a year-round wardrobe item, however, a pair of white trousers, made from cotton or linen, is a spring/summer item.

Women used to wear gloves and veils to church too. lol And it was once scandalous for women to wear trousers or show their ankles. I hardly think that wearing true white in the winter time is such a terrible offense now that we're in the 21st century.

And why is that so laughable? Where I am from, women still wear gloves and hats to church.

Times evolve and so does fashion. And it appears that plenty of people listen to fashion experts or gurus or whatever you want to call them. How else do trends come about or things go out of style? (like leisure suits - thank God LOL)

Yes, plenty of people do listen to so-called fashion experts when they really shouldn't. The unfortunate results are walking around en masse. I see very overweight women in skinny jeans and belly-baring tops on an almost daily basis -- just because somebody said that skinny jeans are a good look and just the thing to wear doesn't mean it is so.

Also, I am not sure that fashion always evolves for the better. Change, while unavoidable, is not always positive. I have seen too many fashion atrocities to believe that just because it's new and the latest style, it must be an improvement.

I can assure you that I go shopping in the winter. But just because the stores carry something does not mean I will buy it. Jeez, certain stores carry neon-green latex dresses with black polka dots that doesn't mean I will buy it. Other stores (Nordstrom for example) carry high-heeled shoes for little girls -- according to the shoe sizes these girls could not be more than 7 or 8 years old. That doesn't mean I would buy it.

I still say that it's a mix of fabric and colour that makes an item seasonal. You can do whatever you want to do, and for all I care you can wear white sandals, a a white cotton sundress, and a straw hat in the Scottish Highlands in January. You'll blend in nicely with the snow-covered mountain peaks:D. It doesn't mean that I have to like it or do it myself.

My comment was directed at your statement that pure white was strictly a spring and summer color. You can see many gorgeous winter wardrobes in any number of fashionable mags that demonstrate that it is not. That was my only point. You may choose not to wear it, along with whatever else you consider to be improper. And as a matter of fact, my ski parka IS white. Snow white. :rolleyes:

Archived